Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying badges on LinkedIn - aka… How much is too much???
When I started doing classes on various sites, I found out about sharing “badges”.  It seems kinda cool, right?   But how do you decide when too much is too much?  For me, I have badges from Saylor, LinkedIn Learning, Sophia, Coursera….  These aren’t all for-credit. Some of it is kinda fluff that I did to try to make my LinkedIn profile seem more active when I was job hunting.  And to create that lifelong learner image.  But now I am wondering if there is a point at which it becomes “too much”.  Curious if anyone else with a lot of badges has a creative approach…..
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
At the career level I'm at, I don't like badges for individual courses/learning experiences, unless they're tied to an industry-standard certification. I have my CPIM on my LinkedIn. I'll probably be going for ASQ Certified Quality Auditor as some point, and that will go on there. If I ever do a Six Sigma Green Belt or PMP, that will too, but I won't be putting any of my Sophia or SDC badges.

EDIT: It comes down to your career level, and the image you want to portray to employers. I hired two people recently (and interviewed many more). I didn't look at their social media. HR did the initial vetting, and all I got was a resume.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • Vle045
I really like that LinkedIn feature too. In regards to your question, relevancy is important. So, if you have a bunch of badges related to your field, I think it helps.

I think appearing as a lifelong learner is helpful. Although, having a bunch of badges in areas that are not related may tell recruiters that you lack focus.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kal Di's post:
  • Vle045
I feel if you wouldn't list it on your actual resume or CV, then you shouldn't list it on Linkedin
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • Flelm, Vle045
I think relevancy, industry recognition, and current career progression are the key factors in sharing badges. Right now I have about 46 badges on credly from various ACE courses and industry certifications but I only share the certs that are industry recognized and related to my career field. Current career progression is also important as well. If you're just hitting the workforce or changing career fields, it can help to show some relevant Coursera badges to help you stand out, but if you've been in your field for many years, people won't be as impressed by a bunch of beginner level MOOC badges.

That's just my opinion though and I have seen experienced professionals strategically including LinkedIn Learning badges on subjects like diversity/inclusiveness recently which I think is a good way to signal certain subjects that are popular as of late.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • Pikachu, Vle045
(07-01-2021, 12:19 PM)Kal Di Wrote: I really like that LinkedIn feature too. In regards to your question, relevancy is important. So, if you have a bunch of badges related to your field, I think it helps.

I think appearing as a lifelong learner is helpful. Although, having a bunch of badges in areas that are not related may tell recruiters that you lack focus.

Good point about focus!  I do sometimes lack focus.  That’s probably why I am good at jobs that involve doing 12 things simultaneously.  I have literally had to answer the phone, the door, send a fax to the person I am talking on the phone to, and take a kid’s temperature simultaneously when I worked at an intermediate school.  When parents came in, they usually commented on how I was able to do so many things at a time.  Luckily my phone cord was long and could reach the the door buzzer and the copier and the medicine cabinet.  It was an exhausting and underpaid job.

(07-01-2021, 12:32 PM)allvia Wrote: I feel if you wouldn't list it on your actual resume or CV, then you shouldn't list it on Linkedin

I am starting to lean that way too.  I think I have almost 20 badges.  Many of them are probably not very helpful.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

Depends, but if you had a few you were proud of, don't let them get lost among all the others. People won't stop and look at them if there's many.

Thanks everyone.  I decided to scrap them all except for the Diversity Equity & Inclusion certificate from USF.  All the rest is fluff and can be accessed from my credly profile if someone really cares to see it.  Wink
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Yes, I would slim everything down to the most important credentials that you have. Just like a resume/CV, keep it concise, short and simple.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I use the "courses" section to list professional development that I don't feel was substantial enough to add to my "education" section. I still have the same problem, though. I went certificate crazy last year and have a bunch of credentials that overcrowd my education section. I think LinkedIn needs a Professional Development section where we can add such noncredit, but substantial, certs that don't fit well in other sections.

Also, I don't look at LinkedIn as I would a resume. On a resume, I'd pick the few things that are most relevant and help me to come off as most well rounded and ready for the job. On LinkedIn, I try to give the most complete picture possible.
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coursera, Udemy & LinkedIn Learning ss20ts 6 2,116 06-12-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  LTI and Credly Badges before 2015 vetvso 4 505 11-17-2022, 11:13 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  College credit for LinkedIn Learning "Learning Paths" sanantone 6 1,969 08-19-2022, 01:46 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Is there a way to share a “profile” of badges earned on Badgr? Vle045 6 1,668 04-09-2022, 03:04 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  Best 11 Guidelines to Make the Most Out of Your LinkedIn Profile LevelUP 0 472 03-13-2022, 01:21 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up How do you list certificates on Resume and LinkedIn? Vle045 2 698 05-04-2021, 04:05 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Interesting Article on LinkedIn about the Online Course Revolution FuschiaFleur 7 814 03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Daithi