Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Distance learning math/science courses?
Hi all,

I'm looking at the University of Alabama's BSME program, which is mostly online.  However, there are a handful of math and science courses that the university doesn't offer online and recommends that prospective students take at a local community college:

• MTH 125 Calculus I (M)**
  • MTH 126 Calculus II (M)**
  • MTH 227 Calculus III (M)**
  • CH 101 General Chemistry I (N)**
  • PH 105 General Physics w/ Cal I (N)**
  • PH 106 General Physics w/ Cal II (N)**
  • MTH 238 Applied Differential Equations**
Their transfer credit page doesn't seem to offer a lot of guidance regarding ACE credit from non-military sources, so it looks like the usual sources that are often used around here may not be a workable option.

The obvious thing is to take them at my local community college, but for a variety of reasons I'd rather not.

My question - is there a good online source for these with a high probability of transer?  Maybe a community college out there with a workable distance learning program that doesn't require jumping through a bunch of hoops and I can simply register for and take the stupid courses?
Calc 1 can be done at ASU EA or outlier and chem 1 can be done at ASU EA.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I would contact the school because they suggest community college courses. They may not accept ACE versions of these courses. Some grad programs are very particular about the sourced of credit. 
(03-06-2021, 02:07 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Calc 1 can be done at ASU EA or outlier and chem 1 can be done at ASU EA.

Nice... looks like they're pretty inexpensive as well!
Westcott Courses, transcripted through Brandman University: https://westcottcourses.com/
Calc I (4cr) $569
Calc II (4cr) $544
Calc III (4cr) $544

Texas A&M Self-Paced: https://www.wtamu.edu/academics/extended...index.html
Calc I (4cr) $935
Calc II (4cr) $935
Calc III (3cr) $699
Differential Equations (3cr) $699

I can't find any calc-based physics courses through my usual avenues. NMJC has them (PH214: Engineering Physics I & PH224: Engineering Physics II), but I don't see them on the schedule at all for the last year, online or otherwise.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • aviator guy, MrPanda
what's that university in the north east of the US that always gets recommended for doing med school prerequisites ?

I'm thinking they probably have calculus based physics
Chem at ASU is a crazy amount of work. If you take that one, I would highly recommend not having any other classes at the same time. It's like 5 classes in one with how many videos and activities that must be done. I would recommend taking Chemistry from TEL Learning instead. Transcripted at Mid-American Christian University, it's Chemistry I w/ lab for $267.

Not super cheap, but Doane University has calculus-based Physics I & II for $329 per credit. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ob...ts#Science
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • CableGuy98, jch
(03-06-2021, 01:48 PM)aviator guy Wrote: Hi all,

I'm looking at the University of Alabama's BSME program, which is mostly online.  However, there are a handful of math and science courses that the university doesn't offer online and recommends that prospective students take at a local community college:

• MTH 125 Calculus I (M)**
  • MTH 126 Calculus II (M)**
  • MTH 227 Calculus III (M)**
  • CH 101 General Chemistry I (N)**
  • PH 105 General Physics w/ Cal I (N)**
  • PH 106 General Physics w/ Cal II (N)**
  • MTH 238 Applied Differential Equations**
Their transfer credit page doesn't seem to offer a lot of guidance regarding ACE credit from non-military sources, so it looks like the usual sources that are often used around here may not be a workable option.

The obvious thing is to take them at my local community college, but for a variety of reasons I'd rather not.

My question - is there a good online source for these with a high probability of transer?  Maybe a community college out there with a workable distance learning program that doesn't require jumping through a bunch of hoops and I can simply register for and take the stupid courses?

Some care needs to be taken as to whether the science courses need to be lab courses but in general these should not be too hard to find.  Cost is often an issue for people but perhaps not for you.  Some people might like to take them all in one place and other might not mind jumping around a bit.  Here's one source
Course Catalog | Fort Hays State University (fhsu.edu)
There's always the New Mexico community colleges. Not sure you'll find all of them, but certainly some of them.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(03-06-2021, 04:20 PM)bluebooger Wrote: what's that university in the north east of the US that always gets recommended for doing med school prerequisites ?

I'm thinking they probably have calculus based physics

University of New England.
They offer science prerequisites for health professions:  UNE Courses
They are pricey compared to others at $360 a credit hour plus $30 registration fee for each course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes williamsle's post:
  • bluebooger

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 682 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,098 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 281 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,804 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 222 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 739 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 789 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,322 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 605 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  U.S. News will rank distance learning programs in business, IT and other fields LevelUP 1 284 01-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden