Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you list your college degree?
Volunteering is a great way to build your resume for those with less experience or those that are looking to switch fields. It is also a great way to network as you meet people from other companies, groups, etc. I volunteer as the Cubmaster for our local Cub Scout Pack and put in hundreds of hours a year and it's great to see what comes out of it. This takes up most of my volunteering time now, but before that I would volunteer at the food bank, temporary housing, etc. As well as the tangible benefits for the community, youth, etc. it is also great for your own well being and mindset - as Jennifer points out above, and it is just the right thing to do.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
Most people don't really volunteer. Take for instance veterans organizations such as the American Legion, or the Veterans of Foreign Wars. What is their membership? Lets rough estimate it at about 3 million each, maybe slightly less for VFW membership. Out of that membership, most are not active members. When it comes down to the percentages that actually are active members, meaning doing things for veterans such as visiting VA hospitals, putting down flowers on veterans days, parades, you name it, the percentages drop dramatically. My point???
It takes those type of special people to do this. They enjoy doing it for whatever reason, they make time, or have the time to do it. Some like to get their photos in the newspapers, some feel good about doing good, some like to as you all say, network, hey, we need those type of people out there. Just like those that like to pray about everything. We need those holly rollers to pray for us when I don't have the religious touch that they carry. But....never judge a book by its cover. Some people give at church, while others don't, but that guy that didn't drop money in the basket may go home the very same day and write out a check to the church for 25 dollars or so. We just don't know what people do, and some people don't say.
I don't argue the fact that volunteering is a good way to build experience or to network, but that's just never been my style, and I don't consider myself selfish or insensitive to others because I don't volunteer.
I also notice that volunteerism is greater in rural areas, as proven too where American Legions and VFW's are strongest too. Some communities thrive on volunteering and that's a great thing. To "Step up to the plate", by giving blood, or whatever. I hate needles. I can't stand the sight of blood going into a tube. They took 5 tubes from me the other month during a check up. Like VAMPIRES all of them running around taking out my blood. Blood suckers!!! I'm a communications kind of guy. If the you know what hits the fan, I got a ham license. That's more my bag. I'll let the brownie bakers and chocolate vendors do their thing and I'll do mine.
You're not trying to outdo anyone? Cheez. I just got outdone big time here. You got me beat that's for sure. You sound like my DEN MOTHER! (Back in 1969) And no offense, that is meant as a joke seriously. But this next part isn't. What's this about XBOX and having time for it then you have time for volunteering? Xbox is fun. (I guess, I don't use the darned thing.) Maybe this guy is getting the same satisfaction, feeling of refreshing and recharging enviroment that you do volunteering. Right? Common denominator, is you are both doing it for YOUR OWN SATISFACTIONS. Only difference is someone is benefiting from your services while the xbox user is not benefiting anyone. OR ISN'T HE? He keeps the game people happy, he pays into the economy, and money is what makes the world turn.

cookderosa Wrote:Ok, seriously people? (not Publius, just in general) my thoughts are that if you have time for XBox you have time to volunteer. I log about 200 hours per year minimum as a volunteer (not counting types of service like this forum where I help others because I've been helped)- but I've been in several different types of service since I was 18 - from coaching teams, to organizing fund raisers, to hourly shifts at a free clinic. Hell, I even give blood every 56 days. I'm not trying to outdo anyone, I'm just saying that people should contribute. Altruism is good. One thing I will tell you about a volunteer job if you're unsure, is the people WANT to be there, it's a totally REFRESHING and RECHARGING type of environment to be in! My clinic (2 shifts per month) has never EVER been a chore. Literally, in 2 years I've never shown up that I didn't leave in a better disposition than when I arrived. Haters should try it ;p
Pub,

Unless you are in a situation where you need some dough, why not see if you can go straight into a Master's Program. As I recall, you're pretty young. Maybe in two years by the time you're done with your MS/MBA/whatever, the job market would be better. Also, if you can get your Master's with a concentration in something like Foresnic Acct or Auditing from an AACSB school, you'll be in demand. Sarbox has created a big demand for this accounting field.

EDIT: Also, with the Master's you'll already have your 150 SH to sit for the CPA exams if you choose.

Publius Wrote:What would you guys recommend putting on a degree when all you have is an Associates and Bachelors, with extremely limited work experience? There's lots of you folks out there who have a lot of educational achievements and significant work experience and would have no trouble filling up (at least) 2 pages. What about those of us that struggle to fill up half of a page? Is that all we do, I guess?
As someone who will graduate (hopefully) early next year, with an ASBA in General Management and a BSBA in Accounting, I'd like to work for an accounting firm. However I'm young and inexperienced.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
Prloko Wrote:Pub,

Unless you are in a situation where you need some dough, why not see if you can go straight into a Master's Program. As I recall, you're pretty young. Maybe in two years by the time you're done with your MS/MBA/whatever, the job market would be better. Also, if you can get your Master's with a concentration in something like Foresnic Acct or Auditing from an AACSB school, you'll be in demand. Sarbox has created a big demand for this accounting field.

EDIT: Also, with the Master's you'll already have your 150 SH to sit for the CPA exams if you choose.

I am on the young side, 17 now and on par to finish my BSBA a month before I turn 18. A Master's degree is something I've actually put some consideration into, esp. with a focus in Forensic ACCT. There is a "back door" avenue where 150 sh aren't required to sit for the CPA, but getting them isn't a bad idea. It would be nice to find a job that would help pay for the Master's. We will see what happens, I still have a couple months before I can write that "I'm Done" post.
Thanks for your guys input. Sorry, I feel I've hijacked this thread. My apologies.
29palms Wrote:You're not trying to outdo anyone? Cheez. I just got outdone big time here. You got me beat that's for sure. You sound like my DEN MOTHER! (Back in 1969) And no offense, that is meant as a joke seriously. But this next part isn't. What's this about XBOX and having time for it then you have time for volunteering? Xbox is fun. (I guess, I don't use the darned thing.) Maybe this guy is getting the same satisfaction, feeling of refreshing and recharging enviroment that you do volunteering. Right? Common denominator, is you are both doing it for YOUR OWN SATISFACTIONS. Only difference is someone is benefiting from your services while the xbox user is not benefiting anyone. OR ISN'T HE? He keeps the game people happy, he pays into the economy, and money is what makes the world turn.

Jennifer would have to say otherwise, but I did not take the post as a slam on Xbox or its users; however we each do our parts to keep the economy churning, sobeit. The point of the thread, and Publius' post specifically, was what to put on a resume with minimal or no actual work history and only an education. The suggested solution was to volunteer for additional interest points on a resume...and as a side benefit, to be a positive contributor to the community; it feels good to do good things - that's why my husband and I have always put in at least a few hours a month at the elementary school (we help keep taxes lower by donating time to do things the district would have to pay for otherwise), food kitchens and clothing drives (we were broke at one point and had to use such services not long after we first met, and I have no idea where we would be if those people had not helped when it was desparately needed...giving back does not hurt). If you can get some good networking connections out of the deal that might lead to a job offer down the line IN the chosen field...all the better! Being young is great and many employers will look twice just because of the age and already holding a degree, but many other employers will question the seriousness or sincerity of the work ethic; we all remember being 18, don't we? Smile Publius hardly sounds like your average 18 year old, but random Joe off the street who is just looking at a resume does not have the benefit of that information. With the resume as the only introduction, a bit of time spent volunteering tends to warrant a second look because it suggests someone who has a work ethic strong enough to do more than just put in the 8-5 and go home.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I didn't take any slam to anything to be honest. I'm just debating a little. My point with the xbox thing is, it could have been about anything else. Watching movies, going to the beach, watching the NFL on Sundays with a pizza and wings, or just parlaying around the house, or whatever else one does with their personal time. If you got time for all of that, and surfing on your smartphone or laptop at starbucks, then, how dare you not have the time to volunteer? That's the way it sounded to me. It reminds me, for comparison of guys at a bar stating about how little he puts in his savings plan or savings account, and then someone replies, "Well, if you cut down on your beer drinking for two weekends out of the year, you can save blah blah and blah blah cents and make your 401k grow to a whole 1000 by the time you retire. Or if you put a penny a day in your piggy bank for the rest of your life, you will have this and this and this....you get my drift?

PUBLIUS, join the Armed Forces. Become an officer. Be all you can be. Put that knowlege to use. The military can use you. You'll really be doing a service to this country and gaining real experience, plus GET PAID while doing this and GAINING plenty of job experience. What is total obligation of 8 years military service out of your life. You may even like it and stay in for a retirement after 20.
29palms Wrote:You're not trying to outdo anyone? Cheez. I just got outdone big time here. You got me beat that's for sure. You sound like my DEN MOTHER! (Back in 1969) And no offense, that is meant as a joke seriously. But this next part isn't. What's this about XBOX and having time for it then you have time for volunteering? Xbox is fun. (I guess, I don't use the darned thing.) Maybe this guy is getting the same satisfaction, feeling of refreshing and recharging enviroment that you do volunteering. Right? Common denominator, is you are both doing it for YOUR OWN SATISFACTIONS. Only difference is someone is benefiting from your services while the xbox user is not benefiting anyone. OR ISN'T HE? He keeps the game people happy, he pays into the economy, and money is what makes the world turn.

Yeah, I've got no reply. I don't know how resume building became a moral judgement issue..... Maybe I used too many words.

My answer could have been:
If you're a young person with not much "stuff" to fill a resume, you can add in a volunteer opportunity 1-2 times per month.
Or not. You pick. <shrug> Just throwing out ideas, I couldn't care less if people play XBox lol.hilarious

For what it's worth, my last grad school application requested 3 professional reference letters. I have had 1 employer in 19 years (same supervisor), but fortunately I have contacts through my clinic! My employer, pissed that I was quitting, wasn't in the right frame of mind to write me a good letter, so I asked my clinic co-worker/supervisors. You never know where opportunities may turn up...and we've had more than 1 young person here wonder about where to get letters of rec.
I really meant no offense, just debating. I enjoy all your input here and really do appreciate all the work you do here to help out. I remember the cub scouts like way over 40 years ago, and my den mother was a very nice lady but the cub scout thing didn't last much and I never climbed the ranks for that organization. Funny how things turn out. Then I join the Marines to carry a gun.....hehehehe....XBOX? Honestly, I don't even know what that is. I don't have one. Is it for games or is it for watching movies. Gotta be one or the other. Again, no offense intended, just having fun on debating, don't mean to sound too opinionated, I value all you your inputs here as well as others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python List Comprehension Error: Unexpected Output tom22 3 384 08-29-2023, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Pikachu
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 489 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,742 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44