Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Core mean Capstone at TESC??
I'm trying to figure out which classes I have to take at TESC and when I look at my eval...it says core.....Just wondering if that is their word for capstone??

ALSO: If I take the Micro and Macro CLEP does that equate to two of these?? I'm a little confused...

N) D: Macro/Microeconomics
> Complete one full year of economics (micro/macroeconomics)
Credits: 0
N) Group 1
ECO-111 Macroeconomics_______________________________ 1 course needed
ECO-112 Microeconomics_______________________________ 1 course needed
N) Group 2
ECO-113 Basic Economics______________________________ 1 course needed
ECO-114 Macroeconomics_______________________________ 1 course needed
ECO-115 Microeconomics_______________________________ 1 course needed

Thanks!
Started Dec 2012 ~ BSBA Human Resource and Org Management TESC

YAY!!!! OCT 24th = DONE!!!!!!

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Clep: Principles of management 64, Intro to marketing 53,
DSST: Bus in Society 442 / Principles of Supervison 453 / Money and Banking 55
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
ALEKS: Intro To Statistics 72%, Pre-Calc 70%
TESC : Org Theory DONE~ 89%
TEEX Cybersecurity for everyone ~ Business Elective ~ 85%
No, core and capstone courses are not the same thing. Someone who has had their morning caffeine will answer more comprehensively, but they are not the same. For instance, I'm working on my BSBA in Gen. Mgmt. I will have to take either the capstone course from TESC or Penn Foster, or a test that TESC offers that meets the same requirement. In addition, I have to take core course (or test out of them) in my major area of study. As I wrote, I'm uncaffeinated so I can't be more specific.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
If you take the CLEP Macro and Micro you will take care of Group 1 and be done with Section D.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
Thanks! i'm going to try to call and talk to an advisor since I'm almost done with Aleks...Good to know about the Micro/Macro.....

Straighterline Courses: American History I 83%, American History II 79% Accounting I 81%, Accounting II 83%, Macro 77 %, Micro 84%,World Religions 83%, Business Law 74%, Business Ethics 78%, Organizational Behavior 78%, Intro to business 85%, Business Communications 86%
Penn Foster: HR management 96%, Compensation Management 88%, Emp Benefits 89%, training concepts 96%, Strategic Management 90%, Principles of Finance 82%
So I called an advisor and he said I can do all the classes I want out of TESC as long as I get it approved by TESC ahead of time. That there were no "specific" amount of classes I had to take at TESC. But he did say the advanced accounting classes needed to be upper division. Does this sound right?? TIA

I just feel like he didn't give me the correct info....shouldn't there be certain classes I have to do at TESC?

Can219 Wrote:I just feel like he didn't give me the correct info....shouldn't there be certain classes I have to do at TESC?

I'm pretty sure he's right - I think you can take the required classes anywhere (i.e. at another school, such as LSU) or by any accredited means (i.e. a CLEP, DSST, ECE, or TECEP if they meet the qualifications). However, classes that you transfer in will not count towards your TESC GPA. For example, if you take a macroeconomics class at a community college close to your home and earn an "A" in that class, when you send the transcript in to TESC, they will only mark it as "CR" and will not give you the "A" for it. That's why many people end up taking one class at TESC even if they have other ways of earning the credit. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Smile
CLEPs:
Biology: 64 | College Algebra: 60 | A&IL: 74 | Natural Sciences: 62 | College Comp: 62 | Intro Psychology: 73 | Intro Sociology: 67 | History of the U.S. I: 73 | History of the U.S. II: 65 | Principles of Marketing: 66 | Social Sciences & History: 68 | Humanities: 58

DSSTs:
Environment & Humanity: 59 | Technical Writing: 66 | Public Speaking: 67/Pass | Astronomy: 72

Other Courses:
Intro to Stats ALEKS: 70 | 24 FEMAs (including PDS) | Intro to News Reporting TECEP: Pass | Interpersonal Communication ECE: A | News Writing @ TESC: A | TESC Leadership Communication: A | TESC Mass Communication I: A | TESC Capstone: A | Marketing Communications TECEP: Pass | Argumentation & Debate @ LSU: A | Public Relations Thought & Practice TECEP: Pass

120/120 - DONE!!!
B.A. Communications through CollegePlus/TESC
My degree plan/test feedback
Can219 Wrote:I just feel like he didn't give me the correct info....shouldn't there be certain classes I have to do at TESC?

This is what makes the Big 3 so unique. They award whole degrees based on transfer credit, except for the capstone course, which is the only course that they require the student to take at their college.

TESC, in particular, offers a lot of degrees for which they do not offer all of the required courses. Hopefully, you can find all the courses you need through other schools. Also, the price of courses at the Big 3 usually makes them the last option for members of this forum who are trying to keep their expenses low.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,202 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,365 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,822 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,678 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,676 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 5,119 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 4,848 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,601 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  URGENT HELP NEEDED! Survey on Online Digital Learning due by 23 June for Capstone! Nightmoves5 6 1,834 06-21-2018, 06:49 PM
Last Post: fork
  TESU Liberal Arts Capstone omuneek 8 2,633 06-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Last Post: davewill