Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does TESU specifically require your math be college algebra?
Mab81 Wrote:Thanks for this great info... were you working towards a BS or BA? It says I need 3 credits of numerical literacy, so I was wondering if ALEKS intermediate algebra would suffice for that, or whether i had to have the college algebra.

It doesn't matter which degree you're going for, at TESU, their Quantitative Literacy course is College Algebra.
It will be for BA/BS/BSBA/BSAST and the remainder of their Bachelors degrees, that's THE course.
General Education Elective credit, you should take the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra for that cheap 3 credits.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Not sure where you are getting your information but this is the list of accepted courses from TESU's website. Keep in mind these are only the courses/exams available at TESU. As you can see both MAT-105 and MAT-115 is also on the list. There was another list with CLEP but I can't locate the page.*

Quantitative Literacy
HPS-200: Statistics for the Health Professions
MAT-105: Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics This is also offered as a TECEP exam
MAT-115: Intermediate Algebra
MAT-119: Quantitative Business Analysis
MAT-121: College Algebra This is also offered as a TECEP exam
MAT-129: Precalculus
MAT-231: Calculus I
MAT-232: Calculus II
MAT-270: Discrete Mathematics
MAT-301: History of Mathematics
MAT-321: Linear Algebra
MAT-331: Calculus III
MAT-332: Calculus IV
MAT-351: Mathematical Modeling
MAT-361: College Geometry
MAT-401: Mathematical Logic
STA-201: Principles of Statistics This is also offered as a TECEP exam.
http://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/20...After2.cfm

* I found the CLEP page
Quantitive Literacy
College Mathematics - MAT-102, General Math I, MAT-103, General Math II (6)
College Algebra - MAT-121 College Algebra (3)
PreCalculus - MAT-129 PreCalculus (3)
Calculus - MAT-231 Calculus I (3)
http://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/CL...rogram.cfm

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Mab81 Wrote:Thanks for this great info... were you working towards a BS or BA? It says I need 3 credits of numerical literacy, so I was wondering if ALEKS intermediate algebra would suffice for that, or whether i had to have the college algebra.

I am incredibly math phobic, asked a lot of questions about what would count, and I have notes from an advisor phone call where I wrote that I need "at least intermediate algebra for quantitative literacy/MAT-115/aleks" --I'm in the 2015 catalog so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I went ahead and attempted college algebra and passed --like right on the 70% dot so I transferred it in.
sorry, I know I'm not answering EXACTLY...and you're getting conflicting info here.
CM1999 Wrote:sorry, I know I'm not answering EXACTLY...and you're getting conflicting info here.

Thank you for answering nonetheless! Yes, I am seeing conflicting info... I am not really sure if an advisor will help me unless I formally enroll first. I did apply and get accepted a couple days ago. I will continue with ALEKS while I do my other stuff and see how far I get with it after a few months. Then I will know if I think I can pass the college algebra or not.

bjcheung77 Wrote:It doesn't matter which degree you're going for, at TESU, their Quantitative Literacy course is College Algebra.
It will be for BA/BS/BSBA/BSAST and the remainder of their Bachelors degrees, that's THE course.
General Education Elective credit, you should take the ALEKS Intermediate Algebra for that cheap 3 credits.

This is wrong. The BSBA definitely requires college algebra. Some others might too. But many do not. As stated, I did not need it for my BA. Most BAs at TESU do not require college algebra.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:This is wrong. The BSBA definitely requires college algebra. Some others might too. But many do not. As stated, I did not need it for my BA. Most BAs at TESU do not require college algebra.

Correct. Intermediate Algebra will suffice for your History BA.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
originalamyj Wrote:Correct. Intermediate Algebra will suffice for your History BA.

Great, that makes me feel better. I know I can pass the intermediate. Thanks guys Smile Although even after I pass I plan to continue with ALEKS just to see how far I can get.

Mab81 Wrote:Great, that makes me feel better. I know I can pass the intermediate. Thanks guys Smile Although even after I pass I plan to continue with ALEKS just to see how far I can get.

I took College Algebra five semesters ago with an instructor who didn't test us well (we spent 8 weeks on basic mathematics, 4 weeks on high-school-level Pre-algebra, 2 weeks watching a video about the history of algebra, and 2 weeks on actual algebraic work), so I went through ALEKS from Beginning Algebra to Precalculus.

I ran my Intermediate Algebra to 100% and got an 85 on College Algebra fifteen minutes later. If you do well at Intermediate, College Algebra won't be too hard at all - and it's three gen ed credits at (essentially) $3/credit.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
Thorne Wrote:I took College Algebra five semesters ago with an instructor who didn't test us well (we spent 8 weeks on basic mathematics, 4 weeks on high-school-level Pre-algebra, 2 weeks watching a video about the history of algebra, and 2 weeks on actual algebraic work), so I went through ALEKS from Beginning Algebra to Precalculus.

I ran my Intermediate Algebra to 100% and got an 85 on College Algebra fifteen minutes later. If you do well at Intermediate, College Algebra won't be too hard at all - and it's three gen ed credits at (essentially) $3/credit.

I'm actually starting at Pre-Algebra, I'm that far behind! But it's encouraging that you were able to do that. I hope I can too, eventually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,977 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,104 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,643 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,731 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,342 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,591 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,323 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,374 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,859 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore