Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does anyone know which FEMA courses Charter Oak accepts?
Does COSC limit which courses they accept or how many credits they award? Thanks!
They follow the Frederick CC assignment of credit.

Here is a note from the COSC Registrar: "For our students, we will honor the Frederick CC evaluation of the FEMA work. So what this now means is that we will accept the FEMA transcript directly and apply the possible credit evaluation attached to those courses that had been done by Frederick. As our student you will not be required to pay Frederick CC to transcribe these possible credits; simply have the FEMA transcript sent to our registrar’s office."
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:They follow the Frederick CC assignment of credit.

Here is a note from the COSC Registrar: "For our students, we will honor the Frederick CC evaluation of the FEMA work. So what this now means is that we will accept the FEMA transcript directly and apply the possible credit evaluation attached to those courses that had been done by Frederick. As our student you will not be required to pay Frederick CC to transcribe these possible credits; simply have the FEMA transcript sent to our registrar’s office."

Rebel,
I'm foggy today and can't seem to figure this out. So, does that mean you first send the FEMA transcript to FCC @ $77/cr and then the FCC transcript to COSC? If they are taking FEMA directly, why mention FCC in this note? Confused....
It probably just means that they rely on FCC's listed evaluation.
Printable Course List
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
cookderosa Wrote:Rebel,
I'm foggy today and can't seem to figure this out. So, does that mean you first send the FEMA transcript to FCC @ $77/cr and then the FCC transcript to COSC? If they are taking FEMA directly, why mention FCC in this note? Confused....
No added cost, they follow the FCC recomendation, basically if FEMA shows a course as college credit its been reviewed and is eligible for credit.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
THIS is likely what we'll do. I think I'll enroll him at COSC for a few reasons. First, we get to keep the FEMA. Second, no age waiver needed. Third, no expensive enrollment fees. I don't think (not sure) that he'll necessarily go after a full degree (which is what I want) but I think he can at least get his courses into their system. He's leaning toward, though not yet made a decision about, the Air Force. If he does enlist, he can have at least 33 credits and get a bump to E2. If he doesn't enlist, he's likely going to get serious pressure from his dad and I to work on an AA. He can attend my hubby's college for free, but his interest level dips into negative numbers. They do, however, have a management degree in which they accept any AA/AS/AAS/AOS as block credit- so I think that is the most cost effective / credit reward option we have. UNLESS someone has a better suggestion?? I'm wide open.
cookderosa Wrote:THIS is likely what we'll do. I think I'll enroll him at COSC for a few reasons. First, we get to keep the FEMA. Second, no age waiver needed. Third, no expensive enrollment fees. I don't think (not sure) that he'll necessarily go after a full degree (which is what I want) but I think he can at least get his courses into their system. He's leaning toward, though not yet made a decision about, the Air Force. If he does enlist, he can have at least 33 credits and get a bump to E2. If he doesn't enlist, he's likely going to get serious pressure from his dad and I to work on an AA. He can attend my hubby's college for free, but his interest level dips into negative numbers. They do, however, have a management degree in which they accept any AA/AS/AAS/AOS as block credit- so I think that is the most cost effective / credit reward option we have. UNLESS someone has a better suggestion?? I'm wide open.

The AAS in Administrative Studies at TESC might be a good option. You could use FEMA as elective credit, and test out of the entire degree pretty easily. And since it's an associate's, you wouldn't have to complete any coursework. At Charter Oak, you would still have to complete the Cornerstone, which I'm in right now. I've completed the degree requirements for the AAS in Admin Studies at TESC, and I'm considering enrolling and graduating to have something to go along with my Charter Oak BS degree.

TESC AAS in Administrative Studies

EDIT: After looking at the link, I realize that they've added a capstone to the course since the last time I've looked. Idk if that can be tested out of or not.
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
I have a plan on my work computer that uses the gen eds plus FEMA for an AS, about 30 hours of each. It would have to include the cornerstone......but I have it priced out at about $1800 total. I'll post it for you tomorrow.
AS in EMS August 2010

Thanks guys. I have spent too much time at TESC, because I am so completely stumped by COSC's associate degree. It seems as if you have the gen ed requirement and either liberal arts at 45 or liberal arts at 30. If I understand that correctly, I see that their gen ed requires 35-39 depending on how you hit them. Now, what is unclear to me, is if the gen ed are allowed to simultaneously meet the liberal arts requirement? If not, it's too many credits, but they never actually "say" it, so I don't want to assume. Also, am I understanding that beyond the general ed requirements, everything else is an elective? So, if my son enrolled in the AS, and he completed 35 gen eds using all liberal arts classes (exceeding the 30 cr. minimum) then he would be allowed 25 elective credits from FEMA or other non-liberal arts? If so, that seems pretty easy. (capstone in there somewhere)
The gen eds are liberal arts. 45 lib arts works out of 60 = AS, 30 lib arts with applied electives (like FEMA) = AS.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,692 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,093 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,085 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,737 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,235 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,738 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,802 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,550 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,748 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore