Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Does anyone know which FEMA courses Charter Oak accepts?
rebel100 Wrote:Charter Oak takes them free of charge direct from FEMA......but they use the Frederick CC review in selecting which courses to accept.

Do the courses and request your FEMA transcript be sent straight to COSC.

No one knows if COSC has any plans to change this process,

Charter Oak may accept your courses free of charge from FEMA, but if you want to get those course credits transferred into college credits and use them towards a city job that requires 60 (or whatever) college credits, you must pay $430. First, you contact FEMA and tell them that you want the credits sent to Charter Oak. Then open a credit account with Charter Oak and place the money into that account. Then they will transfer the FEMA credits into college credits, and send an official sealed transcript to wherever you want them to be sent. You can also have a copy sent to you, too, but that copy isn't official.

Yes, it is free to take FEMA courses and free to send them to Charter Oak, and Charter Oak accepts them as college credits, but if you want to have them put into a transcript for another college or need them for a job, then it costs money. People wanting to join the NYPD or other NYC jobs do this.
whitegirl1010 Wrote:Charter Oak may accept your courses free of charge from FEMA, but if you want to get those course credits transferred into college credits and use them towards a city job that requires 60 (or whatever) college credits, you must pay $430. First, you contact FEMA and tell them that you want the credits sent to Charter Oak. Then open a credit account with Charter Oak and place the money into that account. Then they will transfer the FEMA credits into college credits, and send an official sealed transcript to wherever you want them to be sent. You can also have a copy sent to you, too, but that copy isn't official.

Yes, it is free to take FEMA courses and free to send them to Charter Oak, and Charter Oak accepts them as college credits, but if you want to have them put into a transcript for another college or need them for a job, then it costs money. People wanting to join the NYPD or other NYC jobs do this.
I believe what you are referencing is "credit banking" which is really a mostly different animal than degree completion. Credit Registry - Charter Oak State College So your right, credit banking costs money....but that is irrelevent to the discussion of "which credits from FEMA are excepted" and their free use within a degree program. I suspect you would be better served (in many cases) by applying as a degree seeker, taking the cornerstone, and transferring your FEMA in...you would still get the credits on an official transcript and be that much closer to an actual degree, a valuable tool for promotion and career management.

I thought NYPD took them on a FEMA transcript directly, did this change? Also, I understood that NYC was a leader with the old PONSI which is now called NCCRS....they should be taking NCCRS courses directly though I don't know this to be the case.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:I believe what you are referencing is "credit banking" which is really a mostly different animal than degree completion. Credit Registry - Charter Oak State College So your right, credit banking costs money....but that is irrelevent to the discussion of "which credits from FEMA are excepted" and their free use within a degree program. I suspect you would be better served (in many cases) by applying as a degree seeker, taking the cornerstone, and transferring your FEMA in...you would still get the credits on an official transcript and be that much closer to an actual degree, a valuable tool for promotion and career management.

I thought NYPD took them on a FEMA transcript directly, did this change? Also, I understood that NYC was a leader with the old PONSI which is now called NCCRS....they should be taking NCCRS courses directly though I don't know this to be the case.

Since my reply was "irrelevant to the discussion" of which credits are accepted, I don't know why I am even replying. No, NYPD does not take FEMA transcripts directly, which is why they have to be transferred.
whitegirl1010 Wrote:Since my reply was "irrelevant to the discussion" of which credits are accepted, I don't know why I am even replying. No, NYPD does not take FEMA transcripts directly, which is why they have to be transferred.
Re-reading this thread I feel bad...I think I offended you and didn't mean to. My comment was meant only to express that the original question centered around the use of FEMA at COSC for the purpose of obtaining a degree/credit. Your point is valid, but I felt it obscured the original intent....my apology for not stating it more gently.

Have you considered NCCRS approved courses for admission to NYPD or NYFD? FAQs : Students : National PONSI This is a New York based operation that also qualifies NYPD training for college credit. I wonder if Saylor.org courses could be utilized for admission to the PD or FD. Maybe not, but it makes sense that they would. Might be worth considering as completion of 3 credits through Saylor is around $25 and they satisfy gen eds at places like COSC, TESC, EC. Of course this gets tricky and if they won't accept the FEMA directly from the source they may not accept the Saylor either...ya gotta love the government!

Not doubting you, but can you confirm that the FEMA cannot be transferred directly? I recall several folks stating they did this, but I also think the process may have changed...I would like to know for sure.

Best, and welcome back Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,671 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,048 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,052 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,708 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,220 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,711 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,761 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,436 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  Charter Oak struggles as well, not just Excelsior Lewis.Yim 24 4,718 06-18-2018, 11:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore