Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone regret their BALS?
I hope this is the riggt thread. I noticed too late that I posted this in the wrong thread before. I have edited that post to fit the thread. Out of curiosity and potential health and financial constraints for me, I'm curious if anyone has gone for a bals with a concentration like in cs or information systems and been successfulsful or is it not worth it? I know you can teach with them but has anyone felt hampered by it?
(09-21-2021, 04:21 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: I hope this is the riggt thread. I noticed too late that I posted this in the wrong thread before. I have edited that post to fit the thread. Out of curiosity and potential health and financial constraints for me, I'm curious if anyone has gone for a bals with a concentration like in cs or information systems and been successfulsful or is it not worth it? I know you can teach with them but has anyone felt hampered by it?

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "I know you can teach with them..."  You can in fact teach with a BALS if you mean that you can teach in some type of K-12 school but only IF you have a teaching certificate to go along with it.  In that regard, I'm pretty sure that you can teach with any Bachelors degree as long as you have the requisite teaching certificate.  This is a state law issue and so the requirements will vary from place to place but I'm not aware of any state in which you can teach K-12 without some form of teaching certificate/license.  The degree alone is not enough.
(09-21-2021, 06:21 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 04:21 PM)Nadiv10 Wrote: I hope this is the riggt thread. I noticed too late that I posted this in the wrong thread before. I have edited that post to fit the thread. Out of curiosity and potential health and financial constraints for me, I'm curious if anyone has gone for a bals with a concentration like in cs or information systems and been successfulsful or is it not worth it? I know you can teach with them but has anyone felt hampered by it?

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say, "I know you can teach with them..."  You can in fact teach with a BALS if you mean that you can teach in some type of K-12 school but only IF you have a teaching certificate to go along with it.  In that regard, I'm pretty sure that you can teach with any Bachelors degree as long as you have the requisite teaching certificate.  This is a state law issue and so the requirements will vary from place to place but I'm not aware of any state in which you can teach K-12 without some form of teaching certificate/license.  The degree alone is not enough.
Where I'm from, licensure is not always required at private schools as long as you have a relevant degree.
(09-21-2021, 06:32 PM)Raine Wrote:
(09-21-2021, 06:21 PM)Alpha Wrote:

Where I'm from, licensure is not always required at private schools as long as you have a relevant degree.

I'm not certain, but I think that's true where I live too.  Private schools can hire anyone they want.  But I've also heard that they are pickier about hiring people, preferring people with experience and even grad degrees.  I once knew a woman with a law degree who taught at a private school while she was building her practice.  She had no teaching certificate or experience but they liked saying (to their student's parents who were paying a lot of money) that their kiddo was being taught History by an attorney.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,530 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Major Regret? See How These Americans Feel About Their College Degrees LevelUP 4 794 11-26-2022, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Johann
  BALS degree Foreign Service Officer Test vetvso 2 791 02-25-2022, 02:49 AM
Last Post: vetvso
  BALS degree at TSU LokiBear 2 854 02-19-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A) CiggyTardust 24 4,879 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: davewill
  BALS Criminal Justice concentration questions. Acaidian 6 1,514 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  BALS/BSLS Plan Help for a Newbie? HMohamed12 9 1,946 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Tlm
  Bals how long to finish? SweetsugarNL 25 3,691 08-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Cheeseburrito
  Applying for an AA and BALS Tlm 3 1,031 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS - Advice Needed. GaKim 15 2,562 04-22-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: GaKim