Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't Hire People who Went to Grad School
My DH just sent me this article and at first I was a little annoyed, but then I just had to laugh... especially the section on business school grads, "Business school is for non-self-starters"

Don't Hire People Who Went To Grad School
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I totally agree with this article.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Loved it, agree 100%.
I agree with the article full heartedly. I'm 24, so coming from the younger generation I see a lot of facts in that article. Fortunately, I learned how the world really runs and did not buy into the whole college degrees WILL give you a great job with a great salary. Being a member of this forum I've generally noticed that our pursuit of a college diploma is more so to supplement the skills we already have and to just amuse employers during the application and interview process. There is more to be said these days about work ethic and what you can bring to the table than how many degrees you may hold. This is of course my opinion and I am in no way trying to take away from the importance of getting a degree. I just believe many people my age and younger need to realize this before they start wasting thousands of dollars and years of their life on a whim that their diploma guarantees them their hopes and dreams, when it merely just gets them in the door. Thanks for sharing the article with us.
TESC: BS Technical Studies - Graduated March 2012

* I want to give this forum a big thank you, being a part of this community has helped me to achieve the completion of my Bachelors degree and has helped me in pursuing my dream of becoming a United States Naval Officer. I leave this message here in my signature for everyone to read and serve as a reminder of what this community, and the completion of a college degree can mean. I hope that the attainment of my dream through continuing education can serve as motivation for others. *
I loved computer programming and specifically game programming so much that you couldn't keep me away from it. I spent hours writing programs as a 10 year old with no internet and zero teachers to help me through it.
By the time I was in college I had already had a job as a programmer, wrote a couple of games and worked as a computer tech building and repairing computers.
I dropped out of school when I realized that I was better off learning on my own than in the classroom with a bunch of graduate student TAs teaching me C programming when they had learned it from other graduate students.

Now that I am older and have an established career, I am glad I finished the degree at my own pace without having to disrupt my career plans.

So what we do here is in addition to going out there and working for a living and taking risks in the real world. Its not an escape from reality for us, if I may speak broadly.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Looks about right, though I'm still planning on doing my Masters and maybe even a PhD. Difference is, I've got the experience and the job, I'm doing it more for me than for anything. Helps that the Army + GI Bill paid for my BS, my company will pay for my MS, and I'll still have 2 years of GI Bill left (hence the possible PhD).
hilarious :roflol:
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
I agree for the most part. This is for small businesses in particular and I think it is very on the money with regards to that. I have always found it face-in-palm odd that there are grad degrees in entrepreneurship. Isn't the definition of being an entrepreneur mean that you took the initiative on your own instead of having someone walk you through it? But I don't agree with this "Multiple degrees are from people who don’t know themselves, don’t value their time, and are stuck in a rut trying to impress people with academic trophies." Academic trophies, maybe, but I completely disagree with the rest.
I also agree with the article, mostly. Experience can be more valuable, but it's quite difficult to get valuable, relevant experience without a good education, less doors will be open to you. Most people who don't get an education end up in dead-end jobs, and that experience is worth nothing. Education can at least give you a better shot.
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
I liked this part of the article, sounds like me hilarious

"On face value, the degree makes a strong candidate. But if the candidate has two more degrees, run. Multiple degrees are from people who don’t know themselves, don’t value their time, and are stuck in a rut trying to impress people with academic trophies."

Although I'm not stuck in a rut, just stuck overseas. I do value my time, I took advantage of my free time to finish the degrees. Plus, they are paid for so why not get them if I can? I don't need to impress anyone except my wife and I need to set an example for my daughter Big Grin
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 25 469 7 hours ago
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 408 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 302 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Yesterday, April 20, 2023, a date which will live in infamy. People are going to die LevelUP 11 1,461 09-06-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,249 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,570 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,733 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Why Do People Get So Crazy on Political Forums, According to AI? LevelUP 3 800 11-04-2022, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Kire
  The Government Is Literally Stealing People’s Homes! LevelUP 1 742 07-26-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Stacie
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 891 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle