Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Degree at UMPI
So after looking at the courses I need to take over the summer before I start in the fall, I'd only be a few courses short of a BA Bus Admin degree. I know you can't do that and a BLs in Management,  however can you do 2 degrees, 1 BLS in a different minor and BA BUS Admin and leave with 2 degrees? Like maybe a Project Management or Management Information Systems or something? Just curious if that is a thing? If so will I get 2 diplomas or just 1 diploma? I really want 2 lol but don't want to go for another term and retake classes lol.
Pierpont Community and Technical College - BOG A.A.S. Spring 2022 
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
I want to say thank you to EVERYONE for their assistance. You all are awesome!
Yes and No. From what you have provided us, the answer is a firm no... The only time I would recommend this is if you need the extra credits that are graded and you need them for a very competitive Masters or another graduate program you may want to transfer into. For semi-competitive or even non-competitive programs, the answer is still a no. There is no benefit either if you're going for a non-competitive Masters later on...

However, having said all of that... if your scenario or situation changes, you can get the dual degree, it requires more costs, energy, time, and more residency credits. 1) If you can go another term (at least 2 sessions) 2) Take extra classes that is NOT offered in the first degree. 3) The second degree requires at least 30 credit difference 4) You can delay your graduation and add a second degree to the program list.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I have a BLS and BABA from UMPI. My BLS had to be completed and conferred. Then I had to reapply to UMPI for my BABA. I had to complete 30 more credits at UMPI. I received 2 diplomas. They're 2 totally different degrees. I graduated twice. You don't retake classes. You have to complete 30 credits in the BABA so if you want to complete both then you need to be strategic about what business courses you complete in the BLS. The GEC and general electives are done once you complete the BLS. So it's all about the major and concentration. You do have a break between the 2 degrees - 1 session or more. Your BLS MUST be conferred before you apply for the BABA.

(06-08-2022, 01:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: However, having said all of that... if your scenario or situation changes, you can get the dual degree, it requires more costs, energy, time, and more residency credits.  1) If you can go another term (at least 2 sessions)  2) Take extra classes that is NOT offered in the first degree.  3) The second degree requires at least 30 credit difference  4) You can delay your graduation and add a second degree to the program list.

You CANNOT delay graduation. The BLS MUST be conferred prior to applying for the BABA. 2 sessions is not required. If someone can complete the 30 credits in 1 session then they have completed the degree and are ready to graduate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
(06-08-2022, 02:03 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have a BLS and BABA from UMPI. My BLS had to be completed and conferred. Then I had to reapply to UMPI for my BABA. I had to complete 30 more credits at UMPI. I received 2 diplomas. They're 2 totally different degrees. I graduated twice. You don't retake classes. You have to complete 30 credits in the BABA so if you want to complete both then you need to be strategic about what business courses you complete in the BLS. The GEC and general electives are done once you complete the BLS. So it's all about the major and concentration. You do have a break between the 2 degrees - 1 session or more. Your BLS MUST be conferred before you apply for the BABA.

(06-08-2022, 01:50 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: However, having said all of that... if your scenario or situation changes, you can get the dual degree, it requires more costs, energy, time, and more residency credits.  1) If you can go another term (at least 2 sessions)  2) Take extra classes that is NOT offered in the first degree.  3) The second degree requires at least 30 credit difference  4) You can delay your graduation and add a second degree to the program list.

You CANNOT delay graduation. The BLS MUST be conferred prior to applying for the BABA. 2 sessions is not required. If someone can complete the 30 credits in 1 session then they have completed the degree and are ready to graduate.

Sorry I am late, I am just seeing this for some reason. So question... I noticed a lot of classes I am taking for the BLS essentially are the same as the BABA with the exception of maybe of some I believe. Might be less than 10, maybe 7 or 8...so Do I just take those, then toss in 2 or 3 random electives to meet the 10 classes needed at UMPI?
University of Maine at Presque Isle - BLS with a Concentration in Management (In Progress)
Course Breakdown: Local Technical College: 21 Credits, Sophia Learning: 73 CreditsStudy.com: In Progress, UMPI: In Progress
Just curious: why do you want or need a Bachelor of Liberal Studies with a minor in Management AND a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration?  Why not just get the BABA, maybe add an extra concentration or minor to that degree. If you just want two degree for personal purposes, I get that. But, I don’t feel like a BLS with management minor adds much/anything to a person who has a BABA. Just my two cents. (And potentially your $1,400 for the “extra” degree).
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • carrythenothing
(06-15-2022, 06:16 AM)learningthehardway Wrote: Sorry I am late, I am just seeing this for some reason. So question... I noticed a lot of classes I am taking for the BLS essentially are the same as the BABA with the exception of maybe of some I believe. Might be less than 10, maybe 7 or 8...so Do I just take those, then toss in 2 or 3 random electives to meet the 10 classes needed at UMPI?

You need to follow your degree audit. It shows you what you have remaining. You can only transfer in 90 credits to UMPI. You MUST complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. There is no way around this.

(06-15-2022, 07:36 AM)freeloader Wrote: Just curious: why do you want or need a Bachelor of Liberal Studies with a minor in Management AND a Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration?  Why not just get the BABA, maybe add an extra concentration or minor to that degree. If you just want two degree for personal purposes, I get that. But, I don’t feel like a BLS with management minor adds much/anything to a person who has a BABA. Just my two cents. (And potentially your $1,400 for the “extra” degree).

I have a BLS with 3 minors including Management. I also have a BABA with the Marketing Concentration. The BLS was much faster and easier for me to complete. I was also the first student on here to complete an UMPI degree so we didn't have the info we have today. Most of the BABA courses are not included in the BLS with Management Minor. There's only 6 courses in the minor and many more in the BABA. The BABA with Marketing Concentration didn't exist when I was in the BLS program. If you already have a BABA I don't know that you can go back for a BLS.
For UMPI, getting a second bachelors works only one way with the BAS or BLS, those degrees can be your first degree only, all other degrees must be a second degree after the BAS or BLS, you can't take a BAS/BLS if you go for their other degrees. For example, if you go the BA History and then want a BAS in a triple minor, that won't work, you need to do the reverse... Having said that, you can have a BA History and then a BABA Marketing concentration if you wanted...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I think someone misinterpreted my last question. I will rephrase. I understand that you need a minimum of 30 credits, which is 10 classes. My question was if I am finished with everything needed after my BLS and I only need 6-7 classes to finish my BABA, then am I allowed to take 3 or so random classes with UMPI to finish off the degree.
(06-15-2022, 05:49 PM)learningthehardway Wrote: I think someone misinterpreted my last question. I will rephrase. I understand that you need a minimum of 30 credits, which is 10 classes. My question was if I am finished with everything needed after my BLS and I only need 6-7 classes to finish my BABA, then am I allowed to take 3 or so random classes with UMPI to finish off the degree.

You have to complete an additional 30 credits after your BLS degree is conferred. I had to have 30 credits in the major to complete the BABA. I couldn't take anything that was a general elective. It had to be in the major or concentration.
(06-15-2022, 05:52 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-15-2022, 05:49 PM)learningthehardway Wrote: I think someone misinterpreted my last question. I will rephrase. I understand that you need a minimum of 30 credits, which is 10 classes. My question was if I am finished with everything needed after my BLS and I only need 6-7 classes to finish my BABA, then am I allowed to take 3 or so random classes with UMPI to finish off the degree.

You have to complete an additional 30 credits after your BLS degree is conferred. I had to have 30 credits in the major to complete the BABA. I couldn't take anything that was a general elective. It had to be in the major or concentration.

So in other words, I would literally have to retake some of the classes I have already completed? crap. I might just do the TAMSU or whatever its called for a 2nd degree. I am okay with taking 30 extra but not the same courses lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 0 12 27 minutes ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 4 180 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 114 Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 206 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 245 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 261 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 2 125 04-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,492 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 235 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New considering UMPI but…. manyoptions4me 55 5,433 04-16-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley