Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumbest Education Question of 2019 So Far
Congrats to Rep. Thomas Massie for asking the dumbest education question of 2019. 

Quote:“So, how do you get a bachelor of arts in science?” the congressman asked.

It is true that John Kerry has a BA in a social science and not a natural science, but there are many schools that offer BAs in the natural sciences and even computer science. All of Harvard's liberal arts programs are BAs. Harvard even has a BA in Computer Science. 

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/john-kerry-thomas-massie-climate-change
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • alab21, Ideas, jsd
Yes, I agree it was so dumb. Made him look like an idiot.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • greencouch
His degrees are from MIT, so that's his lens for what constitutes a degree. But still, he's clearly more qualified to discuss *actual* science than someone with a BA and JD - MIT's gen eds are going to be hard science whereas Yale's gen eds (assuming they haven't changed) only requires 2 science classes total- and it doesn't even stipulate lab or "for science major" as the level.
The problem with self-taught science is that it allows you to curate your own information without the expertise of someone smarter than you to help you sort out fact vs fiction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Massie
haha, what a moron.

it's like him stating you have a bachelor's degree, and yet you're married! how can that be?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • alab21, dfrecore, sanantone
(04-12-2019, 03:04 PM)cookderosa Wrote: His degrees are from MIT, so that's his lens for what constitutes a degree.  But still, he's clearly more qualified to discuss *actual* science than someone with a BA and JD - MIT's gen eds are going to be hard science whereas Yale's gen eds (assuming they haven't changed) only requires 2 science classes total- and it doesn't even stipulate lab or "for science major" as the level.  
The problem with self-taught science is that it allows you to curate your own information without the expertise of someone smarter than you to help you sort out fact vs fiction.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Massie

But, most people with PhDs in this specific area of science disagree with him. I would trust someone with a PhD or master's degree in climatology, meteorology, earth science, geology, or atmospheric science over someone with degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering. His engineering degrees aren't related to this area at all. Even people with degrees in environmental science, physics, chemistry, and biology are more qualified than he is.

(04-12-2019, 03:11 PM)jsd Wrote: haha, what a moron.

it's like him stating you have a bachelor's degree, and yet you're married! how can that be?

How do you have degrees in psychology and sociology and work in IT? You're an impostor.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I knew I'd be found out eventually
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Wait until he finds out that I have a BA, but I work in taxation without an accounting degree. His mind will be blown!
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
We may agree or disagree with his (libertarian, a la Rand Paul) politics, but I think it is silly for us to call this guy "dumb," "idiot," and "moron." I looked him up. The guy is brilliant, a true genius. His master's thesis at MIT is entitled, "Initial haptic explorations with the phantom : virtual touch through point interaction." He won multiple awards at MIT for his inventions. He started a company where he invented a device that enables simulated tactile feeling of virtual things.

And he is a rare breed. Unlike politicians in general, who preach environmentalism for others, he practices self-sustainability. He lives with his family in an off-grid solar-powered house he constructed himself with a battery from a wrecked Tesla and stone from his property and timber that he cut and milled himself from trees on his property felled by a storm. He has a greenhouse on his property built down into the ground, so that he can grow vegetables year-round. How many other members of the US Congress are doing this stuff?

I can actually see why a guy like this is not impressed with a typical do-as-I-say-not-as-do politician with a BA in political science and an enormously huge carbon-footprint testifying about environmental science.

I am not trying to start a political debate, but it is silly to question this particular guy's intellect.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes topdog98's post:
  • Sapientes
(04-13-2019, 01:57 PM)topdog98 Wrote: We may agree or disagree with his (libertarian, a la Rand Paul) politics, but I think it is silly for us to call this guy "dumb," "idiot," and "moron." I looked him up. The guy is brilliant, a true genius. His master's thesis at MIT is entitled, "Initial haptic explorations with the phantom : virtual touch through point interaction." He won multiple awards at MIT for his inventions. He started a company where he invented a device that enables simulated tactile feeling of virtual things.

And he is a rare breed. Unlike politicians in general, who preach environmentalism for others, he practices self-sustainability. He lives with his family in an off-grid solar-powered house he constructed himself with a battery from a wrecked Tesla and stone from his property and timber that he cut and milled himself from trees on his property felled by a storm. He has a greenhouse on his property built down into the ground, so that he can grow vegetables year-round. How many other members of the US Congress are doing this stuff?

I can actually see why a guy like this is not impressed with a typical do-as-I-say-not-as-do politician with a BA in political science and an enormously huge carbon-footprint testifying about environmental science.

I am not trying to start a political debate, but it is silly to question this particular guy's intellect.

It's great that he lives a green lifestyle, but being an expert in one area doesn't make you an expert in all areas. Part of being smart is knowing your limits and when to listen to people who know more than you do. There are others living green lifestyles who disagree with his stances. 

There are behavioral and social aspects to sustainability and conservation. There are many STEM folks who don't understand human behavior and family economics. How do you get individuals to change their behavior? Environmental studies aren't just about the science of what's harmful; it's about getting people and companies to act differently. 

We also have to think about individual capabilities. How many people have the time, money, and skills to do what Massie did? Are you going to expect a single parent with a high school diploma to build a house that's off the grid? Are you going to expect that person to purchase a $40k Tesla? What that person can do is use public transportation if a viable public transportation system were available.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-13-2019, 02:25 PM)sanantone Wrote: We also have to think about individual capabilities. How many people have the time, money, and skills to do what Massie did? Are you going to expect a single parent with a high school diploma to build a house that's off the grid? Are you going to expect that person to purchase a $40k Tesla?

No, of course not, but I expect that Kerry has the money to do what Massie did, but not the inclination, and definitely not the skills, which was the point of Massie's line of questioning.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worldwide Education Services (WES) Shelf life? nyrsimon 3 218 04-02-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: nyrsimon
  UK vs US, Education Compared bjcheung77 1 200 03-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Country Preview: Poland - Inexpensive European Education bjcheung77 11 1,994 01-29-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,144 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  US Education Department unveils stricter college oversight rules bjcheung77 0 348 11-01-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 363 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  What are some of the dumbest degree mills have you seen? elcastor21 6 709 10-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Continuing Education stipend ideas impasta 5 484 09-21-2023, 12:52 PM
Last Post: impasta
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,322 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
  Panorama Education Acquires Mesa Cloud... bjcheung77 0 422 07-01-2023, 01:45 AM