Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Duplicate courses
At TESU if you have two courses to transfer which transfer as the same course, do you get to choose which one you'd like to have on the transcript?
(06-03-2020, 01:46 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: At TESU if you have two courses to transfer which transfer as the same course, do you get to choose which one you'd like to have on the transcript?

The evaluators decide how things come in and which courses are accepted by the school (appearing on the transcript). If two courses come in with the same equivalency, and the equivalent course meets the program requirements of your degree, then they will use one of them to meet the course requirement and the duplicate will drop into your "Other Courses" section, which means it is recognized as having been completed, but will not used as part of the degree.

I'm not sure why you would care which course was selected if the two courses have the same course equivalency, but you can request they move courses around, so you could ask that the duplicate course be used instead of the one selected. I don't know if they will honor the request, but you can ask. Just be sure to explain why it is important when you submit the request.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(06-03-2020, 02:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 01:46 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: At TESU if you have two courses to transfer which transfer as the same course, do you get to choose which one you'd like to have on the transcript?

The evaluators decide how things come in and which courses are accepted by the school (appearing on the transcript). If two courses come in with the same equivalency, and the equivalent course meets the program requirements of your degree, then they will use one of them to meet the course requirement and the duplicate will drop into your "Other Courses" section, which means it is recognized as having been completed, but will not used as part of the degree.

I'm not sure why you would care which course was selected if the two courses have the same course equivalency, but you can request they move courses around, so you could ask that the duplicate course be used instead of the one selected. I don't know if they will honor the request, but you can ask. Just be sure to explain why it is important when you submit the request.
I am retaking a computer course just to be up to speed on more modern stuff and I believe it is a duplicate of same course that transferred from community college 20 years ago with a letter grade I am not entirely proud of. The course I am taking now instead will show as CR on evaluation upon completion.
Yes you can request which one you want in this scenario. I had the same thing happen to me after transferring in everything no dropped my class that had the "C" and kept the one that was a "P".
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
When you bring in courses, EVERYTHING is placed on your transcript, even duplicate courses. And they don't "keep" certain courses in a specific spot - the final transcript comes with everything listed by course provider/school.

So the point is moot - they will both be on there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-04-2020, 04:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When you bring in courses, EVERYTHING is placed on your transcript, even duplicate courses.  And they don't "keep" certain courses in a specific spot - the final transcript comes with everything listed by course provider/school.

Depending on degree some courses appear in the non applicable list at bottom of academic evaluation, and are the courses that won't be taken into consideration towards the degree program. And yes I had a C ages ago for my computer class CIS 103 (4 cr) but wondering if the sophia computer course transfers as CIS 103 or CIS 107
To clarify what I was saying, my reasoning for duplicate course was for higher GPA purposes on my credits that transferred in. Both of the classes however are on my transcript. I had a less than stellar freshman year of college 20 years ago...
(06-04-2020, 10:34 PM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 04:09 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When you bring in courses, EVERYTHING is placed on your transcript, even duplicate courses.  And they don't "keep" certain courses in a specific spot - the final transcript comes with everything listed by course provider/school.

Depending on degree some courses appear in the non applicable list at bottom of academic evaluation, and are the courses that won't be taken into consideration towards the degree program. And yes I had a C ages ago for my computer class CIS 103 (4 cr) but wondering if the sophia computer course transfers as CIS 103 or CIS 107
Ok, just read on another thread it transfers as CIS 110. I can use some more extra gen-ed credits, so it's all good.
(06-04-2020, 11:55 PM)darthweezy Wrote: To clarify what I was saying, my reasoning for duplicate course was for higher GPA purposes on my credits that transferred in.  Both of the classes however are on my transcript. I had a less than stellar freshman year of college 20 years ago...

I promptly flunked out of college as soon as I started.  No worries, though, as I was able to get my GPA up over time through CC courses.

But TESU will bring in everything, so it's not like you get to choose to stick things down in "other courses" and it doesn't affect your GPA.  Everything that has a grade affects it.

The transcript does not look like the evaluation/degree plan as you see that.  It just lists everything ever brought in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-05-2020, 11:44 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 11:55 PM)darthweezy Wrote: To clarify what I was saying, my reasoning for duplicate course was for higher GPA purposes on my credits that transferred in.  Both of the classes however are on my transcript. I had a less than stellar freshman year of college 20 years ago...

I promptly flunked out of college as soon as I started.  No worries, though, as I was able to get my GPA up over time through CC courses.

But TESU will bring in everything, so it's not like you get to choose to stick things down in "other courses" and it doesn't affect your GPA.  Everything that has a grade affects it.

The transcript does not look like the evaluation/degree plan as you see that.  It just lists everything ever brought in.
It did effect my classes that were accepted in my case. Since your transfer GPA has to be above a 2.0 for the credit to count towards the degree. If I hadn't had that particular "P" class come in as duplicate I would have lost the class all together (for degree purposes not for showing up on transcript).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,547 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,562 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 754 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 267 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,471 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77