Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alumni network
i don’t put too much stock in an alumni network. i see it as a way to stay connected to the university to maintain your nostalgia. Or perhaps a resource for discounts on things. Maybe access to the school’s library and career resources.

My personal observations of my college alumni…

A few years ago I applied for a job. I was definitely qualified. I noticed on LinkedIn that the President looked at my profile. I also noticed that he graduated from the same college. I thought…. Oh cool, maybe I will at least get an interview. Nope.

They do have alumni meetups in my area. I thought about going. But why in the world would I go meetup with a bunch of strangers? Meh.

I went to listen to a Senator speak about a Bill she is trying to push through. She graduated from my college. I thought…. Oh cool. It doesn’t really mean I’d vote for her or support her Bill automatically.

For me, the alumni network is a nice fluffy feeling type of thing. You could ask to speak to alumni. I guarantee those people are going to be those that have a positive experience and are generally good salesmen for the school. You aren’t going to get someone who got a degree and can’t get a job working in their field.

Choose your school based on the courses they offer and how it fits your needs. I wouldn’t choose based on an alumni association.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • datby98, origamishuttle
(02-12-2023, 01:14 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(02-11-2023, 06:06 PM)Pats20 Wrote: Does anyone know the best/ easiest way to find out what the alumni of a college and degree program are doing now ?

Example : if interested in Eastern University MBA. Investigate to see what its  alumni are doing.

I have done this on LinkedIn. Find the school's page and on it will be a link for "Alumni" which is like a tab on the page. Once you click "Alumni" in the search box put in MBA. Then you have two options, the first is to in the next section down labeled "People You May Know" and it will give you everyone with an MBA (granted there may be some mixed in from other schools but it helps to narrow down) and you can click those names to view their pages and see what they are doing. The section option is to look closer to the search bar for the different sections such as "Where they work" and "Where they live" to narrow down before selecting from the "People You May Know" section further down. 

Try this to start: https://www.linkedin.com/school/eastern-...ywords=MBA

Another option is to do a google search across the web or specifically on LinkedIn:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Easte...s-wiz-serp

This works great ! Thanks
One thing to consider is that alumni will likely be concentrated regionally close to where the college is.

So UT Austin is great for Texas, the University of Illinois is good for the midwest, and colleges like Berkley or USC are good for California.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-12-2023, 04:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote: One thing to consider is that alumni will likely be concentrated regionally close to where the college is.

So UT Austin is great for Texas, the University of Illinois is good for the midwest, and colleges like Berkley or USC are good for California.
Yes I agree. I think Questrom may be hard to beat if you can get in. The brand recognition along with the alumni network is prolly worth $12k

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harvard Extension School - Software Engineering ALM. Alumni/current student feedback. sung1contrarian 9 3,243 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Togas