Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harvard Extension School - Software Engineering ALM. Alumni/current student feedback.
Hi,

I wanted to get some feedback/tips from current students or alumni of the Harvard Extension School’s ALM in Software Engineering. Any feedback would be great but here are some that came to mind:
  • How challenging are the courses?
  • What was the biggest hurdle?
  • What do you wish you knew before you started the program?
  • Did you feel it was worth the ROI?
  • Did the degree greatly improve employment opportunities, or were employers mainly focused on the technologies listed on your resume?
  • How did the degree impact your income?
  • Do you come across any negative inference to HES from the “traditional” Ivy leaguers?

A bit of background on me:
I have been in the web development field for 15 years (started as a graphic designer and now primarily doing front-end development). I was almost done at Rutgers for a BA in Communication but left to join a startup as a graphic designer and have been working since. I am currently working for a major consumer technology company as a web developer. I always felt not having a technical degree on my resume was a road block in getting through the HR filter for upper tier positions. I am currently in the process of finishing up my last few credits at Thomas Edison State College for a BA in Communications, since I have met most of the degree requirements already, and focused on getting a masters in CS or similar field to help with future employment.

And information you can share is greatly appreciated!
I can't help you with your questions, unfortunately. But, I wanted to point out that the degree awarded is something to the effect of "Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies, Field: Software Engineering", and not a "Master of Liberal Arts in Software Engineering".
Outis Wrote:I can't help you with your questions, unfortunately. But, I wanted to point out that the degree awarded is something to the effect of "Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies, Field: Software Engineering", and not a "Master of Liberal Arts in Software Engineering".

Yes I am aware of that, and I should have worded my post better. Thanks for pointing it out so it is clear for other readers.
I don't know how much traction this post will have, there aren't many HES ALM candidates on the board to my knowledge. One poster here, Jonathan Whatley, can probably direct you to the old "extension student" forum where you can find folks in that program. They moved a year or so ago and I lost the link, but you might PM him for it.

My experience with HES is through my daughter who is in the liberal arts undergrad program (ALB) so I can't even take a stab at most of your questions. I will say that the courses are challenging, they expect you to engage fully with the material and to work at what most would consider an advanced college level. CS50 was the only course my daughter ever withdrew from due to difficulty in her entire college career (the experience helped cinch that liberal arts goal Smile) Most traditional Ivy Leaguers won't know the extension school from anything else, though a Harvard College student (from the undergrad traditional campus based group) might give you some grief, I doubt you would here anything from most students. From time to time The Crimson will run a story or some media outlet will pick up something about HES being "Harvard on the cheap" or something, but she hasn't experienced anything negative from her affiliation. I do hear rumors that locally in Cambridge/Boston employers understand a difference, might be true of certain industries (like investment banking). We live in Florida and while she takes great pains to clearly indicate extension school on her resume, the Harvard brand still seems to carries weight. She has been interviewed for every job or internship for which she has applied and she has been offered every job/internship for which she has interviewed. You won't make contacts the way I imagine traditional students do, but they have opened up full job seeking services and there are alumni affiliations to add value to the program. Anecdotally, she has HES classmates that have gone on to NASA and DoD positions...I believe the vast majority of employers will look favorably on a HES degree.

In hindsight, I wish I had an ALM Management from the Extension School instead of my "no name" WGU MBA... looking for a job is in many ways a popularity contest, I think the Harvard brand is appealing and therefore worthwhile to pursue.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I think this is the group: Recent Discussions on Extension Student Forum

looks like they are just getting things up and running again. See if they can direct you to the archive as well...plenty of great stuff over there! Smile

A couple of good threads for you:
http://extensionstudentforum.com/index.p...ion-school
http://extensionstudentforum.com/index.p...rtificates
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you for those links rebel100!
sung1contrarian Wrote:Hi,

I wanted to get some feedback/tips from current students or alumni of the Harvard Extension School’s ALM in Software Engineering. Any feedback would be great but here are some that came to mind:
  • How challenging are the courses?
  • What was the biggest hurdle?
  • What do you wish you knew before you started the program?
  • Did you feel it was worth the ROI?
  • Did the degree greatly improve employment opportunities, or were employers mainly focused on the technologies listed on your resume?
  • How did the degree impact your income?
  • Do you come across any negative inference to HES from the “traditional” Ivy leaguers?

A bit of background on me:
I have been in the web development field for 15 years (started as a graphic designer and now primarily doing front-end development). I was almost done at Rutgers for a BA in Communication but left to join a startup as a graphic designer and have been working since. I am currently working for a major consumer technology company as a web developer. I always felt not having a technical degree on my resume was a road block in getting through the HR filter for upper tier positions. I am currently in the process of finishing up my last few credits at Thomas Edison State College for a BA in Communications, since I have met most of the degree requirements already, and focused on getting a masters in CS or similar field to help with future employment.

And information you can share is greatly appreciated!

That list is small. I think zero.
If I ever find a way to get it funded I might bite on the ALM finance. Friday is wear your school jersey day at work. Be fun if it was Harvard crimson. Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

rebel100 Wrote:If I ever find a way to get it funded I might bite on the ALM finance. Friday is wear your school jersey day at work. Be fun if it was Harvard crimson. Smile

Once my kids are through college, I'll likely pursue the ALM too, probably something completely random like the History of Medicine.
Looking forward to the day HES has come mechanical engineering or technology related courses along those lines.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there any way to enrol into the WGU MBA program as an international student? FM1 6 229 04-22-2024, 09:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,981 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 184 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,354 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,128 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 400 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 266 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,164 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,845 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,124 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden