Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest Science?
I'm kind of science-phobic (I've got no background knowledge of the subject and don't have a particular knack for it), so I'm wondering what courses are the easiest ways to fill my Understanding the Physical and Natural World requirements. I'm currently working my way through the Saylor.org Chemistry in the hopes that the test at least matches the curriculum enough that I can use my memory skills to pass, but that's only three credits (TESU requires 4-6) so I'm wondering if there are any "easy" (a relative term, I know) science credits available. I know all three science CLEPs are considered pretty difficult.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Admittedly I've been into Astronomy since I was a kid, but I found the Astronomy DSST really easy after watching Crash Course Astronomy on Youtube.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • acamp
(08-25-2018, 03:19 PM)quigongene Wrote: Admittedly I've been into Astronomy since I was a kid, but I found the Astronomy DSST really easy after watching Crash Course Astronomy on Youtube.

Thanks for the input! I was eyeballing the Astronomy DSST just because I know that Astronomy makes my head want to explode substantially less than Chemistry or Biology.

And only tangentially related, but I just want to say: I've enjoyed Crash Course even before I realized they could help me pass CLEP/DSST exams, so the fact that I can leverage those videos for college credit is freaking great.
Completed:

Up Next:

There's also free DSST retakes thru 9/30. Definitely the way to go.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • mysonx3
(08-25-2018, 04:04 PM)quigongene Wrote: There's also free DSST retakes thru 9/30.  Definitely the way to go.

Wow, had no idea about this. I still haven't done my research on DSSTs (haven't taken any yet, even though there are a few in my degree plan). Sounds like I should knock some of those out soon.
Completed:

Up Next:

(08-25-2018, 03:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm kind of science-phobic (I've got no background knowledge of the subject and don't have a particular knack for it), so I'm wondering what courses are the easiest ways to fill my Understanding the Physical and Natural World requirements. I'm currently working my way through the Saylor.org Chemistry in the hopes that the test at least matches the curriculum enough that I can use my memory skills to pass, but that's only three credits (TESU requires 4-6) so I'm wondering if there are any "easy" (a relative term, I know) science credits available. I know all three science CLEPs are considered pretty difficult.

I see you're discussing DSST, but if you're also considering online courses, most science or non-applied computer science course will fulfill that requirement.

As for specific recommendations for science courses that are considered "easier", many recommend Intro to Environmental Science (Straighterline, Study.com, or OnlineDegree.com) or Intro to Nutrition (SL or Study.com). I found Astronomy to be pretty fun and not terribly hard... aside from the DSST, they also offer that at Study.com or OnlineDegree.com.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Just did both of these recently and they were fairly easy

Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Nutrition
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
TESU counts Computer Science classes as "physical science" classes, so any of the Study.com computer classes should work for you
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • ISKBizz15
I'm going to go with Intro to Computers or Computer Info Systems - multiple ways to get either of those. WAY easier than any science course I know of.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, mudball
(08-25-2018, 03:08 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm kind of science-phobic (I've got no background knowledge of the subject and don't have a particular knack for it), so I'm wondering what courses are the easiest ways to fill my Understanding the Physical and Natural World requirements. I'm currently working my way through the Saylor.org Chemistry in the hopes that the test at least matches the curriculum enough that I can use my memory skills to pass, but that's only three credits (TESU requires 4-6) so I'm wondering if there are any "easy" (a relative term, I know) science credits available. I know all three science CLEPs are considered pretty difficult.

The answers are:
Not Chemistry
Not Physics

Seriously, those are *the* hardest sciences. I'm not sure how well Saylor content matches their exam, it doesn't have a great track record for that- imo, if you are doing a credit by exam option (Saylor/CLEP/DSST) you should use multiple resources and plan to start from scratch since you've never taken Chemistry and you call your self science-phobic/not having a knack for it. I'm trying not to project my own science weaknesses in this post lol, but if you're doing chem, hit Khan Academy first- and plan to take both Saylor and CLEP. If you pass the CLEP, you'll get 6 credits!

Also, just saw Dfrecore's post about Intro computers- do that instead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for Fire Science Credits CGaboury 6 600 01-11-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia US History for PUG as a Social Science requirement faresayari 5 673 05-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: faresayari
  Sophia is adding Science Labs ashkir 25 3,413 12-21-2022, 09:10 PM
Last Post: KSoul
  Question re: SDC Computer Science 204 - Database Programming raekwon 6 1,611 11-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Easiest ACE accredited courses on Saylor cfoster 5 1,416 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Easiest LL & UL Class on Study.com dragonwolf 13 3,646 07-21-2022, 01:30 AM
  Best place/easiest for English Comp I? suzycupcake 13 2,389 06-21-2022, 10:31 PM
Last Post: suzycupcake
  SDC: Computer Science 107 vs Analytics 103? raekwon 7 1,743 06-13-2022, 01:58 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  LL Political Science Courses Jennr2z 2 774 06-02-2022, 07:23 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Easiest/Quickest Remaining Sophia Courses? bdarei 21 15,870 05-22-2022, 01:40 AM