Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easiest graded RA credits
(08-08-2022, 04:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Getting one A+ on a 1cr course is certainly NOT like getting 3 A's.  If a law school is looking at your GPA, they are looking at a formula - the number of credits divided by the grade points.  So if you have 90 graded credits of B's, a 1cr A+ is going to change your GPA from 3.0 to 3.01.

I've never heard of a college giving you an A+, and they don't generally give you higher than a 4.0 for a grade.
UMPI does allow for A+ but you still get a 4.0 just like you do with an A. I have no idea where they got the idea that 1 A+ is like 3 As. That's not at all reflected in any of my transcripts from the 10+ colleges I've attended over the years.
(08-08-2022, 11:49 AM)evanmonast Wrote: I saw on another thread that TESU's PLA-100 was an option as well as another 1 credit course from CSU-Pueblo. Do you know of anyone here who has taken those?

I took the PLA-100 course. It took me less than 5hrs total. The essays are less than 300 words each. There are no books to read, no exams. This course only last one month. My final grade was like 98% or A. (you need 93% for an A)

UMPI is known for giving students high grades for courses. Was it your transfer courses that lowered your GPA?
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
@evanmonast, institutions look at an applicant package, not just the GPA. So, I wouldn't put all my eggs in this basket. Get as close to the GPA and grades you have for the last 60 credits. Then focus on whatever else they require, such as the LSAT, certificates, degree, experience, volunteering, whatever else that shows you can do the job, fit the roll of a lawyer and show you have initiative to help others who may be less fortunate (volunteering for a law firm for disadvantaged people)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(08-08-2022, 04:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote: The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA

"...however getting one A+ is equal to getting like 3 As..."

First, every law school is different, and you cannot say that they all look at things exactly the same way.  They do not ALL split it up 90/10.  They look at all kinds of things; it's a package just like any grad school app.

Second, "Each law school applicant’s file includes a report compiled by the Law School Admission Council, or LSAC, through the council's Credential Assembly Service. This report includes all grades from every undergraduate and graduate institution an applicant has reported attending.

The LSAC report includes several GPAs: a GPA for each institution, a GPA for each year and a cumulative GPA for all undergraduate work.

So, if you have received multiple undergraduate degrees within one institution, law schools will see your overall undergraduate GPA that includes all those programs.

If you receive multiple degrees from separate institutions – like an associate degree, a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree – LSAC will calculate separate GPAs for each institution as well as a cumulative undergraduate GPA."

So yes, they will see every school you took classes at separately as well as cumulatively; and they will also see every course you've taken.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting one A+ on a 1cr course is certainly NOT like getting 3 A's.  If a law school is looking at your GPA, they are looking at a formula - the number of credits divided by the grade points.  So if you have 90 graded credits of B's, a 1cr A+ is going to change your GPA from 3.0 to 3.01.

I've never heard of a college giving you an A+, and they don't generally give you higher than a 4.0 for a grade.

Really you need to calculate this out to see if it's even possible.  Go to a GPA calculator, and input the total number of credits you have, alongside the GPA as one course.  Then, put 3cr and an A in the 2nd row and see how much it goes up.  Increase your "3" credits until you get to an overall GPA you like/need.  Is it 6cr? 30cr?  60cr?  At some point, it will not be worth the time/money to try to increase your GPA.

Every ABA accredited law school uses LSAC. LSAC combines your GPAs. I am aware that every instituion I atteneded will have it's own GPA reported but I am also aware that they don't matter and only your total GPA does.

Only your first undergraduate degree's GPA is calculated. Anything after your first degree is conferred does not count. They do not look at courses you've taken. School's get thousands of applications that's the whole point of the LSAC bliindly assigining a new GPA that is indisputable.

(08-08-2022, 04:37 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 04:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Getting one A+ on a 1cr course is certainly NOT like getting 3 A's.  If a law school is looking at your GPA, they are looking at a formula - the number of credits divided by the grade points.  So if you have 90 graded credits of B's, a 1cr A+ is going to change your GPA from 3.0 to 3.01.

UMPI does allow for A+ but you still get a 4.0 just like you do with an A. I have no idea where they got the idea that 1 A+ is like 3 As. That's not at all reflected in any of my transcripts from the 10+ colleges I've attended over the years.
That is false again. Respectfully, I did not ask for anybody's input for anything other than easy RA credits. Law schools calculate As as 4.0 and A+s as 4.33. An A+ is worth much more than an A. If you don't know what you're talking about sometimes it is better to not say anything. In my case where I already have a near 4.0 GPA getting a single A does almost nothing but getting A+s can help get to a 4.0 or above.

(08-08-2022, 05:06 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:49 AM)evanmonast Wrote: I saw on another thread that TESU's PLA-100 was an option as well as another 1 credit course from CSU-Pueblo. Do you know of anyone here who has taken those?

I took the PLA-100 course. It took me less than 5hrs total. The essays are less than 300 words each. There are no books to read, no exams. This course only last one month. My final grade was like 98% or A. (you need 93% for an A)

UMPI is known for giving students high grades for courses. Was it your transfer courses that lowered your GPA?
It's not so much that my gpa is bad it's just that the school's im looking at I'll need a 4.0 lol

Just as a general rule of thumb if you aren't aware of how law school admissions works please refrain from giving input, it is not like getting a masters degree and the process is so much different. I really didn't need advice on that and I really only asked about getting RA credits. Instead of chasing each other in the same circle as last time I'd rather that we stick to the question asked. I want to remain respectful but I feel like this thread like my last one has turned into people giving advice they don't know anything about and me telling them why they are wrong. I just want to know how I can find courses to raise my GPA is all so please, help where you can help Smile
(08-08-2022, 07:30 PM)evanmonast Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 11:22 AM)evanmonast Wrote: The LSAT/GPA combination makes up like 90% of the admission/scholarship criteria and your GPA from all institutions gets combined into one formula. Law schools do not care when or where you got your grades from, at all. The other 10% is a personal statement, letter of rec and other things I already have squared away and am not worried about. 

It all gets blindly put into a new formula regardless if it was a CC in 2001 or Yale in 2022 law schools only look at the total GPA

First, every law school is different, and you cannot say that they all look at things exactly the same way.  They do not ALL split it up 90/10.  They look at all kinds of things; it's a package just like any grad school app.

Second, "Each law school applicant’s file includes a report compiled by the Law School Admission Council, or LSAC, through the council's Credential Assembly Service. This report includes all grades from every undergraduate and graduate institution an applicant has reported attending.

The LSAC report includes several GPAs: a GPA for each institution, a GPA for each year and a cumulative GPA for all undergraduate work.

So, if you have received multiple undergraduate degrees within one institution, law schools will see your overall undergraduate GPA that includes all those programs.

If you receive multiple degrees from separate institutions – like an associate degree, a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree – LSAC will calculate separate GPAs for each institution as well as a cumulative undergraduate GPA."

So yes, they will see every school you took classes at separately as well as cumulatively; and they will also see every course you've taken.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting one A+ on a 1cr course is certainly NOT like getting 3 A's.  If a law school is looking at your GPA, they are looking at a formula - the number of credits divided by the grade points.  So if you have 90 graded credits of B's, a 1cr A+ is going to change your GPA from 3.0 to 3.01.

Really you need to calculate this out to see if it's even possible.  Go to a GPA calculator, and input the total number of credits you have, alongside the GPA as one course.  Then, put 3cr and an A in the 2nd row and see how much it goes up.  Increase your "3" credits until you get to an overall GPA you like/need.  Is it 6cr? 30cr?  60cr?  At some point, it will not be worth the time/money to try to increase your GPA.

Every ABA accredited law school uses LSAC. LSAC combines your GPAs. I am aware that every instituion I atteneded will have it's own GPA reported but I am also aware that they don't matter and only your total GPA does.

Only your first undergraduate degree's GPA is calculated. Anything after your first degree is conferred does not count. They do not look at courses you've taken. School's get thousands of applications that's the whole point of the LSAC bliindly assigining a new GPA that is indisputable.

That is false again. Respectfully, I did not ask for anybody's input for anything other than easy RA credits. Law schools calculate As as 4.0 and A+s as 4.33. An A+ is worth much more than an A. If you don't know what you're talking about sometimes it is better to not say anything. In my case where I already have a near 4.0 GPA getting a single A does almost nothing but getting A+s can help get to a 4.0 or above.

It's not so much that my gpa is bad it's just that the school's im looking at I'll need a 4.0 lol

Just as a general rule of thumb if you aren't aware of how law school admissions works please refrain from giving input, it is not like getting a masters degree and the process is so much different. I really didn't need advice on that and I really only asked about getting RA credits. Instead of chasing each other in the same circle as last time I'd rather that we stick to the question asked. I want to remain respectful but I feel like this thread like my last one has turned into people giving advice they don't know anything about and me telling them why they are wrong. I just want to know how I can find courses to raise my GPA is all so please, help where you can help Smile

(08-08-2022, 07:30 PM)evanmonast Wrote:

No, my info was not false. UMPI does give A+ and you get a 4.0 for it. The same as an A. Do you need to see my transcripts to prove this? I said NOTHING about law school. I was speaking specifically about undergrad. Notice where I said college? 

4.33 is only .33 higher not "much more". If you have close to a 4.0 GPA, you're fine for law school. Although, if your definition of close is like your definition of much more you may only have a 3.67.
"Depending on your academic history, your LSAC GPA (the number law schools will use to review your application) might actually be somewhat higher or lower than your degree GPA.… LSAC will convert your individual grades to a number in the same way that your college or university calculates it… However, while the basic calculation may be the same, LSAC converts to a scale that may differ from your school’s and likely has different policies as to which grades are included/excluded.… students who attend institutions that give A+ grades could have a GPA as high as 4.33, and any A+ grades they have on their transcript will better balance out lower grades."

Is Your LSAC GPA Lower Than Your Degree GPA? (Evan Jones, lawschooli, December 21, 2020)
[-] The following 3 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • jch, rachel83az, RachelB
I am aware that UMPI operates on a 4.0 scale but it does not impact me. I am not applying to UMPI, I am applying to law school. Law school GPAs are up to 4.33. LSAC will take my A+s at UMPI and boost my gpa. This is what I'm talking about, if you don't know how it works then why are you arguing with me? I really don't need application advice from people who have never applied, no offense. I just wanted to know if there were other A+ granting institutions out there.

My GPA is a 3.97 so getting an A does next to nothing but even if I had a 3.67 it would still be beneficial to chase A+s over As anyway lol that was a poor attempt at an insult.
(08-09-2022, 05:41 AM)K evanmonast Wrote: I am aware that UMPI operates on a 4.0 scale but it does not impact me. I am not applying to UMPI, I am applying to law school. Law school GPAs are up to 4.33. LSAC will take my A+s at UMPI and boost my gpa. This is what I'm talking about, if you don't know how it works then why are you arguing with me? I really don't need application advice from people who have never applied, no offense. I just wanted to know if there were other A+ granting institutions out there.

My GPA is a 3.97 so getting an A does next to nothing but even if I had a 3.67 it would still be beneficial to chase A+s over As anyway lol that was a poor attempt at an insult.
This is asked out of curiosity with no ulterior motive: why do you think boosting your GPA is necessary?  Your 3.97 is above the median GPA for every law school in the country. Assuming you have an LSAT in the 170s, you should have an excellent chance to be admitted to one (or more) of the top schools.  If your LSAT isn’t the 170’s, why are you focusing on GPA rather than LSAT?  If your LSAT is solid, I am just wondering about your logic to boost your GPA.  

I am assuming you are aiming for one of the top 5 or so schools. Worth remembering that they all take transfers. Harvard, for instance, took 71 transfers for the last year that was reported. A good friend (and study buddy) of my wife at a top-30 law school transferred to Yale after 1L.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 5 users Like freeloader's post:
  • carrythenothing, Pikachu, ROYISAGIRL, sanantone, ss20ts
I agree with Freeloader. Your GPA is more than competitive. But, if you really want to boost your GPA a little, then as you already know, you should delay completing your degree at UMPI because any grades earned after the conferral of the first degree will not count.

GPA is very important when applying to law school. As you said, your GPA and LSAT scores will be the most important factors.

You should start with your state's community colleges, because they'll be some of the cheapest for you, and see which ones award A+ grades.

Copy and paste the line below into Google, and you should be able to find colleges and universities that award an "A+". "Certification" and "comptia" had to be excluded to get rid of irrelevant results referring to the CompTIA A+ certification.

-certification -comptia "A+" "grade" site:.edu
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL
(08-09-2022, 05:41 AM)evanmonast Wrote: I am aware that UMPI operates on a 4.0 scale but it does not impact me. I am not applying to UMPI, I am applying to law school. Law school GPAs are up to 4.33. LSAC will take my A+s at UMPI and boost my gpa. This is what I'm talking about, if you don't know how it works then why are you arguing with me? I really don't need application advice from people who have never applied, no offense. I just wanted to know if there were other A+ granting institutions out there.

I am not arguing with you. You said I provided false information where I said UMPI gives A+. 

You're going on about your GPA like you have a 1.9 and trying to get into Harvard Law.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 238 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 40,734 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,561 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,915 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment? MyRightHandIsBi 11 947 09-13-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,066 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 705 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,131 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  TEL Learning - your new best friend (cheap RA credits) dfrecore 107 18,900 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  Olivet YourWay, How to get RA Credits Antonella 14 2,104 10-16-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az