Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern Gateway Community College
I'm in the Paralegal AAB path. There were so many to choose from but this one was something that I was happy to see available. It will line up well with the mediation/alternative dispute resolution course that comes in the Fall for me.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - April 2025
M.Ed in Elementary Education - UoPeople - December 2026
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion (Higher Education) - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • Vle045
TINASAM Wrote:I am enrolled with the free union thing. I just wanted to hear others experiences with taking classes there not whether I should enroll, thanks.

Ah, I see now, if that is the case, make sure to finish the BOG AAS before you complete the requirements of the EGCC. In fact, if you're going to ladder up to a Bachelors for example, see if those courses within both Associates can be "laddered or transferred" into a Bachelors program, like the Regents BA, a Big 3 degree, or a CBE degree.

Good luck, I would also recommend checking out if the union can provide a freebie Bachelors as well using EGCC and their partnership! (as mentioned by Acamp) And Happy studies, the EGCC seems like an interesting Associates in Paralegal as it's a "specialty" or has an interesting emphasis! Cheers!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TINASAM
Thank you! I'm certainly going to apply to that bachelor's if it is still available by then.
I'll have the Pierpont AAS before Eastern is done, so the timeline works.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

(03-20-2021, 06:28 AM)TINASAM Wrote: Thank you! I'm certainly going to apply to that bachelor's if it is still available by then.
I'll have the Pierpont AAS before Eastern is done, so the timeline works.

Not sure if you saw this on the site, but the bachelor degree programs that are free are offered through Central State University:

Academics
Degree completion programs in Teacher Education, Business Administration, and Criminal Justice are currently offered. Students who have earned an Associate Degree or at least 60 credits with a 2.2 GPA or better in the field of study will be eligible. Students needing pre-requisite classes or to boost their GPA can enroll in the Free College pathway programs with Eastern Gateway Community College.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • TINASAM
yes, when I finish Eastern Gateway if that bachelor's still exists I'm going to do that. They also have a bachelor's of general studies in the humanities.
Current Degree Programs:
Up Next 

I am taking classes at EGCC. Overall, I haven't found any particularly challenging. If you pay attention to the syllabus and turn things in following the rubric, then you should pass. You can learn a lot, but it all depends on the work you put in.

I really enjoyed my earth science class, the teacher of that class was very responsive to questions.

All of the teaching is asynchronous, so you're basically teaching yourself from the text, video, and any exercises they provide. All the classes except math I've had have required weekly discussion boards, and I definitely have discussion fatigue at this point. Some classes have allowed students to work ahead, but most release new assignments once a week or once every two weeks.

I am working on an associate of arts, but I'm interested in pursuing a paralegal certificate after that if they let me, so would be interested in hearing about your experience in the paralegal program once you've had a few classes.

All but one of my classes have included an online text. I had one where an online text was not available, but the textbook was only $20 so it wasn't a big deal.
[-] The following 2 users Like wow's post:
  • acamp, TINASAM
(03-20-2021, 12:27 PM)wow Wrote: I am taking classes at EGCC. Overall, I haven't found any particularly challenging. If you pay attention to the syllabus and turn things in following the rubric, then you should pass. You can learn a lot, but it all depends on the work you put in.

I really enjoyed my earth science class, the teacher of that class was very responsive to questions.

All of the teaching is asynchronous, so you're basically teaching yourself from the text, video, and any exercises they provide. All the classes except math I've had have required weekly discussion boards, and I definitely have discussion fatigue at this point. Some classes have allowed students to work ahead, but most release new assignments once a week or once every two weeks.

I am working on an associate of arts, but I'm interested in pursuing a paralegal certificate after that if they let me, so would be interested in hearing about your experience in the paralegal program once you've had a few classes.

All but one of my classes have included an online text. I had one where an online text was not available, but the textbook was only $20 so it wasn't a big deal.

Hello!
Thanks for the post. Just curious - do they have procotored exams or is the majority of the grades written papers/projects?
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • TINASAM
(03-20-2021, 02:07 PM)acamp Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 12:27 PM)wow Wrote: I am taking classes at EGCC. Overall, I haven't found any particularly challenging. If you pay attention to the syllabus and turn things in following the rubric, then you should pass. You can learn a lot, but it all depends on the work you put in.

Hello!
Thanks for the post.  Just curious - do they have procotored exams or is the majority of the grades written papers/projects?

I haven't had any classes with proctored exams. I have had classes with closed book quizzes on the honor system, but more frequently open book exams / quizzes, often with some short essay questions to test comprehension. Most classes required papers or less formal "journal entries", but this varies a lot by class, with some classes requiring a written assignment every week and others having only one written assignment for the entire term (aside from the discussion posts).
[-] The following 2 users Like wow's post:
  • acamp, Vle045
When I gave this program a lookover a few years ago, I thought that if I went for it, I would go for the paralegal program. Apparently, everybody else think so, too. Great input on this thread, BTW.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • TINASAM, Vle045
My husband just learned about this. He is not currently in the union, but he *can* join. Now that he is management, I guess it is optional. So just out of curiosity, will they also cover a second bachelor’s degree??? It could also be a good option if our son is still not too interested in college. I am still hoping that he will choose *some* type of degree, even if it’s some general “check the box” type degree. (He’s only 14 so we still have time. LOL)
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which college was recently disavowed? pluggingalong 5 292 04-01-2024, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  Czech College Courses for 50+ in the US eriehiker 2 323 01-19-2024, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 424 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  College Mascots ItsNeverTheLionsYear 17 1,028 11-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  Nichols College BS in Business Administration karehiro 25 3,401 04-02-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: JPN
  Snow College accelerated AS - review/help IReallyNeedADegree 43 3,135 03-21-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: Cofffeee
  What is the best college/option for me? ZKL111 20 2,189 03-17-2023, 02:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Age 55 and older discounts for online college? pluggingalong 4 833 03-06-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  South Texas College gams007 3 1,886 09-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Garden City Community College - $150/cr, books included rachel83az 1 658 08-25-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore