Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eastern University
(07-17-2020, 05:39 PM)Sparklette Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 04:49 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 04:36 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 01:12 PM)Sparklette Wrote: Anyone have any experience with this school? Or specifically this program? 
 https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...ta-science

I just wanted to say that I'm considering this program myself. I'm going to contact Eastern University's financial aid office next week. I am currently getting a federal unsubsidized loan in combination with a federal subsidized loan. I won't owe a ton of money after I graduate from WGU. I need to speak with Eastern university so they can answer my questions on loan deferment as well as getting FAFSA to cover the cost of their graduate degree program. 

The admissions requirements for the MS in Data Science at Eastern University appear to be less stringent than other places I have looked at. It looks like I would even have to jump through an additional hoop to get into WGU's MS in Data Analytics program. I will not be graduating with a STEM undergrad degree. To make up for that my Bachelors Degree combined with a certification will be required at WGU. I believe I will have to take one of the SAS Programming certs or an Oracle or Microsoft SQL certification to get admitted into WGU's MSDA program. I hope to get specific answers from WGU on that next week.

With Eastern University, I see no mention of STEM undergrad requirements for their MSDS program. 

If I can't make that work then I will probably get an MSDA from WGU instead.

Thank you so much for posting this school!! I was hunting earlier this year for a program like this and this is ideal for me. I was sold on University of Cumberland and was going to start Aug 23 but was not happy with all the courses they had in the program. I will start my career as a Business Intelligence Engineer that will deal with the big data consumer experience in our pharmacy department on Monday.  I will contact Eastern to get more information.
I'm currently at about 70% certainty that I'm going to pursue this degree through Eastern once I complete my MHA. I'm currently working towards the CSBI certificate through HFMA and also plan on applying for the Google funded data analytics certification once that opens. If that all works out, I might skip the additional masters.
Here is an info session concerning the program for this Thursday !! https://www.eastern.edu/events/graduate-...fo-session
(07-18-2020, 02:10 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 04:36 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 01:12 PM)Sparklette Wrote: Anyone have any experience with this school? Or specifically this program? 
 https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...ta-science

I just wanted to say that I'm considering this program myself. I'm going to contact Eastern University's financial aid office next week. I am currently getting a federal unsubsidized loan in combination with a federal subsidized loan. I won't owe a ton of money after I graduate from WGU. I need to speak with Eastern university so they can answer my questions on loan deferment as well as getting FAFSA to cover the cost of their graduate degree program. 

The admissions requirements for the MS in Data Science at Eastern University appear to be less stringent than other places I have looked at. It looks like I would even have to jump through an additional hoop to get into WGU's MS in Data Analytics program. I will not be graduating with a STEM undergrad degree. To make up for that my Bachelors Degree combined with a certification will be required at WGU. I believe I will have to take one of the SAS Programming certs or an Oracle or Microsoft SQL certification to get admitted into WGU's MSDA program. I hope to get specific answers from WGU on that next week.

With Eastern University, I see no mention of STEM undergrad requirements for their MSDS program. 

Thank you so much for posting this school!! I was hunting earlier this year for a program like this and this is ideal for me. I was sold on University of Cumberland and was going to start Aug 23 but was not happy with all the courses they had in the program. I will start my career as a Business Intelligence Engineer that will deal with the big data consumer experience in our pharmacy department on Monday.  I will contact Eastern to get more information.
I'm currently at about 70% certainty that I'm going to pursue this degree through Eastern once I complete my MHA. I'm currently working towards the CSBI certificate through HFMA and also plan on applying for the Google funded data analytics certification once that opens. If that all works out, I might skip the additional masters.
Here is an info session concerning the program for this Thursday !! https://www.eastern.edu/events/graduate-...fo-session

I will need to attend an info session. So, you get a maximum of 7 weeks to complete each course, is that correct? I wonder what happens if you take longer? Are grades determined by projects/assignments? I don't see any references to proctored exams on EU's website.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
I just received a response from Eastern University. They do not have proctored exams (for the MS in Data Science). I am told they use a platform called Brightspace that has timed exams that are non-proctored. About halfway into the program, (not sure on the exact number), assignments and projects will take the place of exams. 

Eastern University does not have any issues with me living internationally outside of America. I have not left the USA yet but I plan on leaving after I finish my undergrad degree. WGU on the other hand does seem to have an issue with students living overseas unless you are in the military. Also, WGU's mentor check-ins become more of a hassle if you are trying to conceal that you live outside of the USA.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • rachel83az
(07-23-2020, 07:16 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 02:10 PM)eleverson Wrote:
(07-11-2020, 04:36 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I just wanted to say that I'm considering this program myself. I'm going to contact Eastern University's financial aid office next week. I am currently getting a federal unsubsidized loan in combination with a federal subsidized loan. I won't owe a ton of money after I graduate from WGU. I need to speak with Eastern university so they can answer my questions on loan deferment as well as getting FAFSA to cover the cost of their graduate degree program. 

I will need to attend an info session. So, you get a maximum of 7 weeks to complete each course, is that correct? I wonder what happens if you take longer? Are grades determined by projects/assignments? I don't see any references to proctored exams on EU's website.
I just emailed them before seeing your response concerning the test being proctored or not. I think WGU does too much extra for their program when they are just an online school vs this school being a brick and mortar around since 1952. WGU would not take me for their data analytics program unless I had certain certs or do a program with Udacity. I'm so glad I found this data science program at Eastern. I have plans to start Aug 31st
[-] The following 2 users Like eleverson's post:
  • AwardTour, rachel83az
(07-24-2020, 12:39 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I just received a response from Eastern University. They do not have proctored exams (for the MS in Data Science). I am told they use a platform called Brightspace that has timed exams that are non-proctored. About halfway into the program, (not sure on the exact number), assignments and projects will take the place of exams. 

Eastern University does not have any issues with me living internationally outside of America. I have not left the USA yet but I plan on leaving after I finish my undergrad degree. WGU on the other hand does seem to have an issue with students living overseas unless you are in the military. Also, WGU's mentor check-ins become more of a hassle if you are trying to conceal that you live outside of the USA.

Hi!

It looks like they may use the Video Recorder function of Brightspace in place of a proctor for the exams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2L

https://www.d2l.com/higher-education/

OldManOfTheSea
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldManOfTheSea's post:
  • AwardTour
(07-24-2020, 06:00 PM)OldManOfTheSea Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 12:39 PM)AwardTour Wrote: I just received a response from Eastern University. They do not have proctored exams (for the MS in Data Science). I am told they use a platform called Brightspace that has timed exams that are non-proctored. About halfway into the program, (not sure on the exact number), assignments and projects will take the place of exams. 

Hi!

It looks like they may use the Video Recorder function of Brightspace in place of a proctor for the exams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2L

https://www.d2l.com/higher-education/

OldManOfTheSea
Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Well, eleverson will start at Eastern in month. Hopefully we can can get some feedback at that time and hear what it is like. Proctor or no proctor, I am just glad I can attend while not being in the USA along with paying a reasonable price for an MS in Data Science.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
I applied the other day and in the middle of filling out the application, an advisor called to see if I needed help or any questions answered. Talking about good customer service or just good hustling..lol. Right now my application is under review, will keep you posted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eleverson's post:
  • AwardTour
(08-06-2020, 12:34 PM)eleverson Wrote: I applied the other day and in the middle of filling out the application, an advisor called to see if I needed help or any questions answered. Talking about good customer service or just good hustling..lol. Right now my application is under review, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. I agree with you, Eastern University seems to have good customer service. I emailed some questions to two different departments, admissions and financial aid. Both departments emailed me a response to answer my questions on the same day.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Thanks for posting about this program. I'm going to add this to my short list.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-15-2020, 01:47 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(08-06-2020, 12:34 PM)eleverson Wrote: I applied the other day and in the middle of filling out the application, an advisor called to see if I needed help or any questions answered. Talking about good customer service or just good hustling..lol. Right now my application is under review, will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update. I agree with you, Eastern University seems to have good customer service. I emailed some questions to two different departments, admissions and financial aid. Both departments emailed me a response to answer my questions on the same day.

I'm happy to say that I was accepted in the program and will sign up for my classes on Monday! Yippie!
[-] The following 4 users Like eleverson's post:
  • allvia, AwardTour, Kab, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 194 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 707 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  MBA Student @ Eastern University – AMA klone 22 1,854 04-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: klone
  Opinions on Master's International University of Divinity isaachunter 19 6,099 04-14-2024, 07:55 AM
Last Post: isaachunter
  Fitchburg State University - MBA in Finance Spaceghost 7 492 04-06-2024, 01:04 PM
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,311 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Apollos University - from show clause to closure details bjcheung77 4 367 03-28-2024, 12:40 AM
  Robert Cavelier University Journey armstrongsubero 26 1,637 03-19-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 661 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Hellenic American University MBA: Overview of $3K RA MBA PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 90 14,281 03-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: lidel