Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy TESU class?
Hi, everyone!

So I'm almost at the finish line, but I have to take one more class at TESU before I graduate. I was thinking of taking one more class to be considered full time. Any suggestions for an easy class? I'm a good test taker and a good essay writer, but I'm short on time. I'm looking for a class that would take the shortest amount of time... any suggestions?

Thanks!
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
(04-23-2018, 12:38 PM)sarg123 Wrote: Hi, everyone!

So I'm almost at the finish line, but I have to take one more class at TESU before I graduate. I was thinking of taking one more class to be considered full time. Any suggestions for an easy class? I'm a good test taker and a good essay writer, but I'm short on time. I'm looking for a class that would take the shortest amount of time... any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you haven't locked in your schedule, you could swap out one of the 3 credit courses with one from their 6 credit list. I took one in my last term the work was almost exactly the same load as the 3 cr courses! Had I known that earlier, I would have done all 6 cr options.
Thanks Jennifer! I will look at the six credit options.

Can you advise me - the reason I am taking the courses now is because I did somewhat badly on the class I took at TESU last term. I wanted to boost my GPA - but I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. How much will it matter if overall GPA is good, but TESU GPA is not as good? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
TEEX
It depends on why you need a good GPA. If it's for grad school, then I wouldn't bother, they will look at all your transcripts and compute an overall GPA anyway.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-23-2018, 08:06 PM)davewill Wrote: It depends on why you need a good GPA. If it's for grad school, then I wouldn't bother, they will look at all your transcripts and compute an overall GPA anyway.

I'm not really sure if I want to continue to grad school, but I want to leave my options open. Is that the only problem I would have?

I remember reading somewhere on this site - I can't find it now - that they look at the last place that you took classes. Since my degree will be from Thomas Edison, they will look at Thomas Edison's GPA, which of right now looks like will be 2.7 (A B-). My previous GPA from community college and assorted other classes is around 3.9. I wanted to re-take this class, along with another (easy) class, but obviously, if it doesn't really matter I'd rather not. If I leave the mark the way it is, will this come back to haunt me later on?

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
The Biology of Dogs has been pretty easy and enjoyable for me, i'm almost through with it now. Its UL though
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

(04-24-2018, 09:05 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: The Biology of Dogs has been pretty easy and enjoyable for me, i'm almost through with it now. Its UL though

Thanks! Does upper level mean more papers?

I was looking at Jane Austen - it looks easy (and fun) but it IS upper level. Also, thanks cookderosa for posting about the six credit classes. I think there's an interesting history class (I think it's called history of war or something?) that's six credits. So that looks like a nice option, as well.

Does a six credit class equal two three credit classes as far as GPA calculation?

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
What Dave said.

Then, you should consider how the grades you earn alter your GPA if this is important to you. a 1 credit class vs a 6 credit class matters a TON if you've only earned 3 previously graded credits. If you already have 100, they matter almost none.

What is your current TESU GPA and what is your target? And of course, I'll chime in with "why?" because that matters as well.
(04-24-2018, 09:03 AM)sarg123 Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 08:06 PM)davewill Wrote: It depends on why you need a good GPA. If it's for grad school, then I wouldn't bother, they will look at all your transcripts and compute an overall GPA anyway.

I'm not really sure if I want to continue to grad school, but I want to leave my options open. Is that the only problem I would have?

I remember reading somewhere on this site - I can't find it now - that they look at the last place that you took classes. Since my degree will be from Thomas Edison, they will look at Thomas Edison's GPA, which of right now looks like will be 2.7 (A B-). My previous GPA from community college and assorted other classes is around 3.9. I wanted to re-take this class, along with another (easy) class, but obviously, if it doesn't really matter I'd rather not. If I leave the mark the way it is, will this come back to haunt me later on?

Since you don’t know for what or when you’ll need the GPA, it is difficult for anyone else to predict what impact it may have. As Davewill said, most grad programs have their own method for calculating GPA that is usually different from what your GPA is on your transcript.
As an example, SOPHAS calculates several GPAs for each applicant that separates by school, subject, course level, etc. https://portal.sophas.org/sophasHelpPage...index.html (this is the centralized application service used by many schools of public health)

But, with that in mind, does this particular course have anything to do with anything you may want to do later? For example, microecomics might be a pre-req to an MBA program or English comp for a teaching credential. Many programs will set specific minimum grades to meet the pre-req, so in that case it may be worth redoing, but you could wait until you need it to decide to retake.

Otherwise, there are a few schools that state a requirement for a minimum GPA from the “degree granting institution” but in my program research this was rare and also tended to be a fairly low bar.

Outside of grad school applications, there are a handful of employers that may be interested in your GPA. Again, most seem to have their own set of rules for deciding what that means. Like, one fellowship position I am planning on applying to requires > 3.3 on calculus and statistics but doesn’t say anything about overall GPA.

If you want to ease your mind, perhaps take a gander at requirements for some programs or jobs you have even an inkling that you may be interested in so you can get an idea of what the requirements are.

Even if you find this 1 low course score is a barrier to something, it should be fixable later if you choose, so I wouldn’t stress too much about it until you know specifically what you want to do. And while keeping your options open is good, you’re never going to be a fit for EVERY program, so try to think of keeping your options open as more of the mindset that you will be able to find a program that will accept you instead of “I need to be able to be accepted at any program I apply to”
(04-24-2018, 09:50 AM)cookderosa Wrote: What Dave said.

Then, you should consider how the grades you earn alter your GPA if this is important to you. a 1 credit class vs a 6 credit class matters a TON if you've only earned 3 previously graded credits. If you already have 100, they matter almost none.

What is your current TESU GPA and what is your target? And of course, I'll chime in with "why?" because that matters as well.

Thanks, Jennifer.

I only took one class in TESU, so my TESU GPA will be 2.7. This is an accounting class, which is my major. I don't really know why it would matter, I'm just worried that it would later down the road. Will an employer ask for my graduating GPA? Will a grad school? I don't know how these things work, which is why I am asking.

My original plan was to re-take the accounting class, hold my breath and hope I do better this time around, along with one other "easy" class to boost my GPA. But now I'm wondering if I should just leave that class alone and take a nice six credit class to get my GPA higher.

Does my question make sense? What do you think?

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,925 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,022 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,321 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore