Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy TESU class?
(04-24-2018, 10:28 AM)sarg123 Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 09:50 AM)cookderosa Wrote: What Dave said.

Then, you should consider how the grades you earn alter your GPA if this is important to you.  a 1 credit class vs a 6 credit class matters a TON if you've only earned 3 previously graded credits.  If you already have 100, they matter almost none.

What is your current TESU GPA and what is your target?  And of course, I'll chime in with "why?" because that matters as well.

Thanks, Jennifer.

I only took one class in TESU, so my TESU GPA will be 2.7. This an accounting class, which is my major. I don't really know why it would matter, I'm just worried that it would later down the road. Will an employer ask for my graduating GPA? Will a grad school? I don't know how these things work, which is why I am asking.

My original plan was to re-take the accounting class, hold my breath and hope I do better this time around, along with one other "easy" class to boost my GPA. But now I'm wondering if I should just leave that class alone and take a nice six credit class to get my GPA higher.

Does my question make sense? What do you think?

I would not recommend retaking the course.  Keep in mind that you will have your Capstone course counted as well into your TESU GPA (unless you had taken the TECEP when it was still available last year).  If you do well with that (capstone) you could easily move your current 2.7 to a 3.x range.   It would be rare for an employer to ask to see your transcripts, it could be possible they as for proof of graduating (but even that is less common that you'd think) - the exception is the field of teaching (public schools); where transcripts are often asked for in addition to the teaching certification (required in most states).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(04-24-2018, 10:57 AM)allvia Wrote:

Then, you should consider how the grades you earn alter your GPA if this is important to you.  a 1 credit class vs a 6 credit class matters a TON if you've only earned 3 previously graded credits.  If you already have 100, they matter almost none.

What is your current TESU GPA and what is your target?  And of course, I'll chime in with "why?" because that matters as well.

Thanks, Jennifer.

I only took one class in TESU, so my TESU GPA will be 2.7. This an accounting class, which is my major. I don't really know why it would matter, I'm just worried that it would later down the road. Will an employer ask for my graduating GPA? Will a grad school? I don't know how these things work, which is why I am asking.

My original plan was to re-take the accounting class, hold my breath and hope I do better this time around, along with one other "easy" class to boost my GPA. But now I'm wondering if I should just leave that class alone and take a nice six credit class to get my GPA higher.

I would not recommend retaking the course.  Keep in mind that you will have your Capstone course counted as well into your TESU GPA (unless you had taken the TECEP when it was still available last year).  If you do well with that (capstone) you could easily move your current 2.7 to a 3.x range.   It would be rare for an employer to ask to see your transcripts, it could be possible they as for proof of graduating (but even that is less common that you'd think) - the exception is the field of teaching (public schools); where transcripts are often asked for in addition to the teaching certification (required in most states).

I did my capstone last year as a TECEP, so that's out  Sad. Sometimes you don't win by thinking ahead  Dodgy

Does that change anything?
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
(04-24-2018, 11:01 AM)sarg123 Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 10:57 AM)allvia Wrote:

Thanks, Jennifer.

I did my capstone last year as a TECEP, so that's out  Sad. Sometimes you don't win by thinking ahead  Dodgy

Does that change anything?

I would say nothing changes.  Even if you applied to a grad school that only counted your last 30 (or 40 or 60) credits earned as GPA it would be more than just TESU's one course.  No GPA requirement for a grad school is going to look at only your last class taken.  And most that do have GPA requirements are 2.5 and up, and require a GRE or MAT exam (which weigh higher than the GPA in many cases).  Of course there are elite programs at prestigious colleges that will require high GPA and GRE/MAT scores - but if you're concerned that a TESU 2.7 GPA will hold you back from getting into a respectable RA graduate school/program 'someday' it is very unlikely it will be a problem.  Economically speaking, paying for and taking a class you don't need, just to boost TESU's GPA, doesn't balance out time or money wise.

EDIT: Also if you ever found yourself in a situation that you needed a higher TESU GPA, you could always enroll in a course after you graduated to boost it.
Amberton University

Then, you should consider how the grades you earn alter your GPA if this is important to you. a 1 credit class vs a 6 credit class matters a TON if you've only earned 3 previously graded credits. If you already have 100, they matter almost none.

What is your current TESU GPA and what is your target? And of course, I'll chime in with "why?" because that matters as well.

Thanks, Jennifer.

I only took one class in TESU, so my TESU GPA will be 2.7. This is an accounting class, which is my major. I don't really know why it would matter, I'm just worried that it would later down the road. Will an employer ask for my graduating GPA? Will a grad school? I don't know how these things work, which is why I am asking.

So, I still don't know if you have other (pre-TESU) graded credits. I'm going to answer as if you don't. If you took a 6 credit course and earned an A, your new GPA would be 3.57
If you took a 1 credit course and earned an A, your new GPA would be 3.03 so either would get you up over 3, but keep in mind that the converse is also true. If you earned a B in either, your new GPAs would be 2.9 or 2.78 respectively- not at all worth the cost.

Again, it matters how your entire 120 credits are calculated, not just 1 class because of the impact it makes. The above math assumes a "whole" of only 9 or 4 credits- where one class moves the needle significantly. If we recalculated everything and your 2.7 GPA was based on an already nearly full 117 credit degree, you'd need 35 new credits at an A to move it up to 3.0
Sorry, I thought I said this earlier. I have graded credits from community college and four graded classes from two other colleges that I tried. So my GPA until now (from previous courses) was a little over 3.9 if all the classes were to be calculated together.

I only took one class at TESU, so my GPA at TESU would be 2.7. But if all my classes were calculated together, it would probably not change my previous average by too much.

Wondering if this matters?

Also, can I really redo this one class at a future time, even after I graduate?

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
TEEX
(04-24-2018, 12:39 PM)sarg123 Wrote: Sorry, I thought I said this earlier.  I have graded credits from community college and four graded classes from two other colleges that I tried. So my GPA until now (from previous courses) was a little over 3.9 if all the classes were to be calculated together.

I only took one class at TESU, so my GPA at TESU would be 2.7. But if all my classes were calculated together, it would probably not change my previous average by too much.

To be clear, I did not say to redo the class you have the 2.7 in. I said if you ever needed to boost your TESU GPA you could take another course, or two,  with TESU at a later date (after you graduate).  Considering your current overall GPA w/the 2.7 TESU course ends up being over 3.5 you have nothing to worry about.  Don't waste time or money on a TESU course that you don't need or can get credit for elsewhere (much cheaper).
Amberton University

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • sarg123
(04-24-2018, 12:39 PM)sarg123 Wrote: Sorry, I thought I said this earlier.  I have graded credits from community college and four graded classes from two other colleges that I tried. So my GPA until now (from previous courses) was a little over 3.9 if all the classes were to be calculated together.

You have a 3.9 plus this one "C"? Let it go, man. Grad school will look at everything (or the last 30, 60, etc... credits) so one low grade won't make any difference. They would never just look at TESU. If an employer asks for your GPA, do your own overall GPA calculation and give them that number. If they want to verify, send them transcripts for both TESU and your CC.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa
(04-24-2018, 09:11 AM)sarg123 Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 09:05 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: The Biology of Dogs has been pretty easy and enjoyable for me, i'm almost through with it now. Its UL though

Thanks! Does upper level mean more papers?

I was looking at Jane Austen - it looks easy (and fun) but it IS upper level. Also, thanks cookderosa for posting about the six credit classes. I think there's an interesting history class (I think it's called history of war or something?) that's six credits. So that looks like a nice option, as well.

Does a six credit class equal two three credit classes as far as GPA calculation?

actually for an UL course it has very little writing. there's an 8 page paper due at the end and a few 2-pagers but its almost nothing, seriously. take a look at the course if you get a minute, i've found it to be very informative and not stressful at all
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsh1138's post:
  • cookderosa
Thank you so much for all your responses! So I think that I'll not re-take the class, and just leave it at a B- and 2.7 GPA. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me in the future, but like you all said, it's a lot of time on work on the (very small) off chance that this will be a problem. And if I do, I'll keep the "History of the Dog" class in mind - it sounds interesting...

So I only have two study.com accounting classes, and I just signed up for Shmoop (by mistake) so I'm almost at the finish line! I think I missed the June deadline for graduation, so I'll apply for September as soon as I send in all my transcripts, etc.

Thanks again, this forum has been really amazing!

Tests taken so far:

Up ahead:
TEEX
(04-26-2018, 09:53 AM)sarg123 Wrote: Thank you so much for all your responses! So I think that I'll not re-take the class, and just leave it at a B- and 2.7 GPA. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt me in the future, but like you all said, it's a lot of time on work on the (very small) off chance that this will be a problem. And if I do, I'll keep the "History of the Dog" class in mind - it sounds interesting...

That's one approach, but I'm never a fan of "don't worry about your GPA" in that it's an incomplete sentence. Don't worry about your GPA ..... when you're not going to grad school, when you're going right into industry, when you're going into the military, when you're going to an open enrollment university, when you own your own business, when you're retired.... but there ARE plenty of times to worry about your GPA- certainly someone going to grad school should at least be a *little worried about GPA under 3.0

I did work for a good GPA by taking TESU classes, and I got into every grad school I applied to. Did it matter? Don't know, but it didn't hurt. You're still MANY credits away from 150, so in your shoes, I'd bring that up over 3 at a bare minimum (Even though your cumulative is already there) before I stopped working the problem. Easy to do with a single 6 cr course if you earn an A.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,983 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,662 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,110 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,646 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,734 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,348 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,596 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,326 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,379 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,861 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore