Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ed4Credit ENG205 English Comp II First Blush
Ok.

I am not a good college student. I haven't done well so far, A-B's. I struggle.

So, I've done brick and mortar and straighterline for college. On the vocational side, I do well. I've taken tons of training, on and off line, and from a variety of sources. I am very good at testing.

So, I just jumped into the E4C ENG205 course. Here are my first blush, subject-to-revision thoughts. I am not with them, nor getting anything for this review. I rely strongly on word of mouth here, and so here is mine, .<----- that's the grain of salt to compare it to.

I don't like it.

lol

ok, a little more.

The book isn't a book or pdf, it is sort of interactive. I like that it breaks at each chapter. You don't overrun the ends searching manually like in a pdf. The search feature is just about useless. Constant '0 instances of xxxx'. It highlights each word you're looking for, so if you are loading key phrases to catch them in the text, there are 300 'the' lit up, or a zillion 'of' lit up.

In contrast, let's say I have a pdf book. A question is, 'How does one refer to androgyny as a life choice?' I'd put in 'androgyny as' in the search box, and at other places, I'd find that sentence. Like, the book would say 'Androgyny as a life choice would be referred to as something'.

None of the quiz questions work like that. They all require you to infer, rather than simply being lifted from the text. That's buggy to me, because I work by remembering key phrases and how they set up stuff. If I can't find it straight up by a search, I can remember my way back to the area in the text, then run it to ground. There are many questions that have no words that match the text at all.

On the plus side, you get three bites at each apple, and they are untimed. I appreciate that.

In ENC205, there are 8 quizzes and a final. In ENC205, there is a writing assignment per each of the 8 modules. Basically you appear to be bolting together a research paper. (I am tackling the quizzes first, then going back with what I've learned and applying it to building the paper.) You must take the quizzes in module order, success at the current quiz 'unlocks' the next one.

Each quiz so far is 30 questions, and is built on the same platform as SL. Each retake jumbles the questions so you cannot simply rememberize the letters and go back in. They are a mix of 'choose one' types.

I have noticed that they say they pay for your proctorU final, so that is a plus where SL makes you pay for your own PU account.

There is a wealth of additional material in each module, but I have been using the etext solely. Hm. (I'm on break between quizzes. I may check to see if that's what the disconnect is).

The etext is ok. It is following a notional person as they conduct a research project. It is very, very term heavy. But the chapters are smaller than the SL texts, so they are not as taxing as I remember SL's being.

Ok, well, that's the report from the outpost. Nose back to grindstone. I may feel better about it when I am done but for now I feel banghead

I just reread this. Here's a salient point: If you understand the language of academia, and can knock out a good research paper, this would be a ....uh....a.... sigh. You'd like it, and it would be fast credit. I can't put it against a TECEP or DSST, because I don't know if they have writing involved. If they don't, I'd really go test out than this *if you know your stuff*.

For me, it just reinforces that I'm glad I didn't try the test out path for this.

Allright, it's not gonna get done on its own. Well, unless Alexa or Siri has features I am unaware of... lol
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

another point:

When you miss a quiz question, it tells you - chapter 5. That's useless for me. It's the chapter 5 quiz. If I missed it, it's because I couldn't find it. A more descriptive blurb would be beneficial to me, at least....
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Not Applicable
Yes, that course hasn't been approved for credit yet.

If you're worried about taking an English Comp exam, I took the English Comp II TECEP, and did not think it was difficult. I didn't enjoy it or anything, but it was certainly better than all these quizzes and papers and crap. I borrowed the Hodges Harbrace Handbook from the library, put sticky notes on the pages I needed, and that's the entire 5 minutes I spent doing any prep work. It took the test - and it was basically 2 hours of my life and I was done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Almost sounds like your describing the SHMOOP courses just more expensive. Think I will pass on these for now.

Part of me wants to attempt the TECEP for Comp II but I already need to take two and don't want to add a third. Although it would actually save me money compared to SL. I'll have to see if they have that handbook at my library and maybe I will pick your brain dfrecore and see where u sticky noted.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
The OP is working on the Ed4Credit version of English Comp II, not the Study.com version.
There is a new DSST exam for English Comp II called Principles of Advanced English Composition. The main draw is that you don't have to write an essay to get the credits.

http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/d..._Sheet.pdf
Exam Fact Sheets | DSST | Get College Credit

Good luck in completing your Comp II, OP.
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits
KayV Wrote:The OP is working on the Ed4Credit version of English Comp II, not the Study.com version.
There is a new DSST exam for English Comp II called Principles of Advanced English Composition. The main draw is that you don't have to write an essay to get the credits.

http://getcollegecredit.com/assets/pdf/d..._Sheet.pdf
Exam Fact Sheets | DSST | Get College Credit

Good luck in completing your Comp II, OP.

High Order, if you have the cash, attempt the DSST after your quizzes- that will probably prepare you and you'll get to jump over all the essays. There is a code too if you do it between Feb 1, 2017 – Feb 28, 2017 Code: TAKE10OFFNEW (but I don't know how much they take off.....)
Synicaal Wrote:Almost sounds like your describing the SHMOOP courses just more expensive. Think I will pass on these for now.

Part of me wants to attempt the TECEP for Comp II but I already need to take two and don't want to add a third. Although it would actually save me money compared to SL. I'll have to see if they have that handbook at my library and maybe I will pick your brain dfrecore and see where u sticky noted.

I did it based on the TECEP Study Guide off the TESU website.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi High_Order1,

Thanks for the feedback on our English Comp II course. I'm aware that our courses aren't for everyone. If you want to get through a composition course without papers, you will have to take one of the national exams. As Study.com said, papers are now required for English Comp I & II by ACE. As for the eTextbook, it is in the course both as a Vital Source ebook and as a PDF. Did you miss the PDFs? They are in each section (see attached pictures). Thanks again for the feedback. Hope you do great on the ProctorU final!

Tricia

Attached Files
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">Ed4Credit Comp II eTextbook.pdf (Size: 227.41 KB / Downloads: 3)
cookderosa Wrote:High Order, if you have the cash, attempt the DSST after your quizzes- that will probably prepare you and you'll get to jump over all the essays. There is a code too if you do it between Feb 1, 2017 – Feb 28, 2017 Code: TAKE10OFFNEW (but I don't know how much they take off.....)

I think for everyone that is concerned about speed (or simply already knows how to write a paper) this new DSST is going to be the go to exam, just waiting to see some feedback on it
Former University of Pennsylvania Economics Major Trying to Restart
Currently working on Study.com Guardian Scholarship: Personal Finance, American Government, Environmental Science, Intro to Management, Hist Vietnam War - 15cr
ALEKs: Beginning/Intermediate/College Algebra - 9cr
The Institutes: Professional Ethics - 2cr
TEEX: All 3 Cyber Security - 6cr
CLEP:A&I Lit - 6cr
Sophia: Building Teams - 1cr
Kaplan: PLA - 3cr
Saylor: Env Ethics - 3cr
45cr down

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 1,011 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org English Composition II -- Grader Experiences ashkir 67 10,719 02-09-2024, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Sophia English Composition II Experience lifted567 14 1,872 01-04-2024, 05:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Comp 2 dbrown2258 7 826 09-10-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  does sophia english touch stone allow to use chatgpt or grammerly? sekiflying 10 2,576 08-13-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: sekiflying
Heart Is it possible to finish English composition II in one month on study.com? imkingta 16 1,903 07-22-2023, 11:11 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Want to drop out of Sophia English Composition I Avidreader 17 1,754 07-07-2023, 06:08 PM
Last Post: lumina
  English comp 2 Sophia/study.com/olivia/tel? SweetsugarNL 12 3,811 07-03-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Trying to speedrun some SDC classes: Eng 2, Comp. Arch, Soft. Eng, Python 101 Randyb100 16 1,867 06-25-2023, 08:28 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Sophia English Comp 1 Touchstone Issue arrakis 29 7,296 06-21-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: LevelUP