Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Savings Plans for College
529 plans vs Roth IRAs, here's an article that explains and weighs the differences between the two.  You'll be able to find out which suits you more and get a little more details or information in regards to what these would do...  My suggestion is to "save" up for school at a younger age with a small budget, something like 50-100/month if possible, by the time you're starting college, you'll have "some" cash for school then...

Link: 529 Savings Plan vs. Roth IRA for College (investopedia.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Even without interest, $50/mo. for 18 years would be almost $11k. Enough for a Big3 degree! Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • uncapentin
I have a 529 plan for my daughter.  I don't think the interest rate is particularly good but it's a convenient way to put aside pre-tax dollars for school.
rachel83az Wrote:Even without interest, $50/mo. for 18 years would be almost $11k. Enough for a Big3 degree! Big Grin

Alpha Wrote:I have a 529 plan for my daughter.  I don't think the interest rate is particularly good but it's a convenient way to put aside pre-tax dollars for school.

Exactly, either a Big 3 degree or a CBE degree from UMPI/WGU. I am saving about $50/month for each child and just started doing that in early 2021, by the time they graduate high school, they'll have close to the amount we would want saved up to get them started on their educational journey.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If you live in Louisiana, the state-backed Louisiana START 529 will match your contributions up to 2%-14% (depending on your income bracket). A portion of the funding is guaranteed by the state and safe from loss due to market volatility. Additionally, you can write off any contributions up to $4800 per year from your Louisiana state income taxes. I started one for my stepdaughter this past year and should essentially get all of my state income tax withholding refunded (which I will then put right back in the 529.)
You have to be a resident to start a Louisiana START 529, but you do not have to remain a resident to keep contributing or to use the funding. The beneficiary can be anyone at any age with a social security number. You can start one for yourself.
Any adult or legal entity can open an account for any beneficiary. You don't even have to be related, although you lose the tax advantages if they are not a relative. The categories of relatives are very wide. It can be a grandkid, stepkid, first-cousin, in-law, descendant of an in-law etc.

Imo, it's the best 529 out there - provided you're a Louisiana resident.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 154 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,240 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,610 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,984 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 269 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 550 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 427 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 756 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 223 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 261 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP