Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edison State Univ vs. Thomas Edison
Hi all,

I would like to share a thought I've had, to see what you all think. I was thinking that it might good for us to drop the "Thomas" in Thomas Edison when referring to the university. This way, we would be saying Edison State, or Edison State University. I think it would place the emphasis on the State part of the name. It doesn't matter to those of us here, because we already know it is a state university. But others don't. 

Do you think that when you use "Thomas Edison State University," with people, that the "State" part is clear enough to them? I just wonder if the name of "Thomas Edison" is what they remember, rather than "Edison State." 

I always use Edison State University on my resume, employment documents, etc. I want it to be super clear that this is a state school. I don't want people's minds getting stuck on the "Thomas Edison" part.

Does any of this make sense??? Of course, I'm not talking about pushing to change the actual name. Just to change the name that we use when talking about the university with others. What do you all think? Have you ever wondered about this?
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
The problem is if they look it up they may find Edison State College instead which is a community college. I don't know the official consensus but I would think it's deceptive if listed as "Edison State University" on resumes or other documents. It wouldn't be an issue if stated that way conversationally but on paper I believe you should use the actual name, especially the first word in the name. What if someone looks up "ESU"? They will find at least 2 different schools which aren't TESU. Then they may be liable to think you lied about it.

I understand the desire for emphasizing the "state," since the full name is a little wordy. Heck my dad always asks how my degree at "Thomas Jefferson" is going. But I believe it's my job to accurately portray the name of the school on my resume. If someone can't remember the "state" part of the name(or says Jefferson instead of Edison), or mistakenly thinks it's TESC(which it used to be), that's not really my fault or problem if I accurately communicated the name of the institution and I'm always available to clarify the name if someone should ask.

That's my position on it anyway. Maybe it doesn't matter to some employers, but my background always demanded accurate documents and logs. I can only assume that future employers would similarly demand my accurate portrayal of information.

Quote: I want it to be super clear that this is a state school
I personally would prefer someone be super clear about the actual name of the school especially if I wanted to look it up.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • allvia, Muldoon
(02-21-2019, 10:04 PM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: Hi all,

I would like to share a thought I've had, to see what you all think. I was thinking that it might good for us to drop the "Thomas" in Thomas Edison when referring to the university. This way, we would be saying Edison State, or Edison State University. I think it would place the emphasis on the State part of the name. It doesn't matter to those of us here, because we already know it is a state university. But others don't. 

Do you think that when you use "Thomas Edison State University," with people, that the "State" part is clear enough to them? I just wonder if the name of "Thomas Edison" is what they remember, rather than "Edison State." 

I always use Edison State University on my resume, employment documents, etc. I want it to be super clear that this is a state school. I don't want people's minds getting stuck on the "Thomas Edison" part.

Does any of this make sense??? Of course, I'm not talking about pushing to change the actual name. Just to change the name that we use when talking about the university with others. What do you all think? Have you ever wondered about this?

I went to a resume workshop and one thing I remember hearing:
"If you misspell where you went to school, I will immediately throw your resume out and won't consider you."

After that, I made a point to look at people resumes for wrong school names and it amazed me how many people couldn't get the name of their school right. Examples include serious misspellings and adding the word "community" to a college that although it is a community college, never ever had the work community in its name and putting the school name as two words when it is a compound word.

They also told me most employers do quick google search of where the person they want to hire went to school. Nothing fancy, but if it isn't something they've heard of, they just want to make sure it is a legit accredited school. 

Personally, I think changing the name of a school and a resume is a bad idea. But what do I know?
[-] The following 4 users Like natshar's post:
  • Ideas, Muldoon, suzycupcake, Tedium
I'm going to continue to refer to it as TESU or Thomas Edison State University. Leaving off any part of it seems silly and unnecessary. No one except people from NJ (or close to the school) will have heard about it anyway.

Here in CA, we have 23 "state" schools (as opposed to our UC schools, which are also state schools but more prestigious and don't have "state" in the name). Most people don't know all 23 - all they know is that when they hear a school with "state" in the name, they understand that it's part of the state university system, and are fine with that. I'm going to assume they feel that way about all of our states.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • AwardTour
I've always thought that "Yale" sounds better on my resume than "Thomas Edison State," so that's what I use Wink
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 11 users Like jsd's post:
  • cookderosa, davewill, dfrecore, Dowew, Merlin, mudball, Muldoon, ROYISAGIRL, Sapientes, suzycupcake, Tedium
I think I've only come across a couple of private schools with "state" in their name. They referred to state nicknames i.e. Mountain State University. Mountain State University closed years ago. Thomas Edison is not a nickname for any state, so I think it's obvious that it's a public university. If anyone is unsure, with the full name provided, they can find a Wikipedia article on TESU.

What I like about the TESU homepage is that they don't give any hints that they're an online school.

Sort of related...former Governor Chris Christie considered merging TESU with Rutgers and making TESU the online division. Imagine having a Rutgers degree all of a sudden. LOL.

That scared me, though, because there would be the possibility that Rutgers wouldn't be as flexible.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Obviously TESU isn't Harvard, but it is still a legit state university, so I would not be altering the name one bit.

Would I prefer it had a more condensed name? Sure, but there are schools with even longer names.
It is what it is. If you want the prestige, there are other schools out there to consider.
TESU BALS: Awarded June 2019
Credits:
TESU: LIB Capstone 3cr, Cornerstone 1cr 
Aleks: 3cr, Insurance Institute: 2cr NFA: 1cr 
Sophia: 2cr Straighterline: 48cr TEEX: 6cr 
Study.com: 18cr B&M: 77cr
It could be worse. There's California University of Pennsylvania and University of Maryland University College.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 2 users Like sanantone's post:
  • Muldoon, suzycupcake
A lot of great discussion here. As far as the resume is concerned... I was curious about what alums do who attended Stanford University, because the full name is Leland Stanford Junior University. I found a resume from Sergey Brin, and he puts it as Stanford University, not the full name. If an employer is going to get upset with me because I put Edison State University instead of Thomas Edison State University, then they better feel the same way if they have a Stanford applicant who puts Stanford University and not the full name. If not, then what? Is that elitism?

https://www.businessinsider.com/sergey-b...gle-2017-9
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.

(02-22-2019, 09:42 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: A lot of great discussion here. As far as the resume is concerned... I was curious about what alums do who attended Stanford University, because the full name is Leland Stanford Junior University. I found a resume from Sergey Brin, and he puts it as Stanford University, not the full name. If an employer is going to get upset with me because I put Edison State University instead of Thomas Edison State University, then they better feel the same way if they have a Stanford applicant who puts Stanford University and not the full name. If not, then what? Is that elitism?

https://www.businessinsider.com/sergey-b...gle-2017-9

The difference is that Thomas Edison State University does not refer to itself as "Edison State" - where as Leland Stanford Junior University does call/market itself as "Stanford University"

With this thinking do we start calling COSC "Oak State"? I believe it would be a disservice to call it anything other than "Thomas Edison" or TESU.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • SweetSecret, Tedium

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 332 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,262 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 758 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Arizona State University grading Carnation 5 870 10-19-2023, 12:22 AM
Last Post: Carnation
  Other Brick and Mortar Public Univ's that Accept ACE Credit cdrob44 18 2,550 09-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  State schools vs. other options MDela3 71 8,155 09-26-2022, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Weber State University - CS Flex program karehiro 5 1,378 05-18-2022, 11:44 PM
  Metropolitan State University of Denver - Self-Pace Online Courses nomaduser 1 1,120 09-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Canadians - Liberty 30% off Tuition & Maine In-state Pricing! bjcheung77 1 918 03-14-2021, 12:16 PM