Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education Section of Job Resume
Hey guys, so lately I've been desiring a more steady stream of income and that means sending out my resume. Obviously, I want employers to know that I'm pursuing a degree because I have zero college history and my current resume shows that. I haven't updated my signature in a while, but I've been collecting more credits and feel that I'm far enough along in the process to let employers know I'll be a degree-holder soon enough. 

Here's where the issue comes in: I'm not enrolled in TESU yet. I don't want to enroll quite yet because then my enrollment status will begin to expire and I still have my AoS courses to take, which might take more time than I originally estimated. I know that sometimes job applicants will have their degrees listed as "in progress" with the college they're attending. I'm not sure it'd be safe or honest for me to do that in this situation even though I know TESU will accept me in the future. Is there some way that it would be appropriate for me to include the progress I've made towards my degree? Or should I hold off until I'm actually enrolled, thus causing employers to assume I'm done with my educational career when I'm not? I just don't know if employers will understand the alternative credit situation. 

Also: I've never had a "certifications" section in my resume, but I recently became BLS certified and will include that. Do you guys think it would be worth throwing something in there about those TEEX cybersecurity certifications most of us earned? Perhaps maybe just one of them, so that employers feel comfortable with me working on their computer systems? I don't know, I'm not certified in anything else and I feel like I need filler. I've pretty much been self-employed the past couple years and it's been a great opportunity but it's left my resume sad and neglected looking, so anything I can add to it will help.

Let me know what you guys think. If you have any ideas on what kind of stuff would help dress up a resume, feel free to share that as well. Thanks!
Enrolling seems best. That way you lock in the current catalog at TESU. If you then need over a year, you just take another TECEP then. There are some easier TECEPs. Then you could say TESU and that you expect the degree in 2020.

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • cookderosa, katelynn
I agree that you should just enroll at TESU. It's free (except the application fee), and you just pay $75 for a LL TECEP to lock in your catalog (which you should do anyway), and then another if you need it a year later.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
There was also a $25 TECEP (1 credit) which may still be available.

If you apply, that gives you a year to take a course (which will have to be the cornerstone, I don't think you can take even a TECEP as an enrolled student without doing that) which then gives you another year before you have to take action again. Hopefully by then you'll be ready for the capstone, but if not, an inexpensive TECEP will do.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-07-2019, 12:00 PM)davewill Wrote: If you apply, that gives you a year to take a course (which will have to be the cornerstone, I don't think you can take even a TECEP as an enrolled student without doing that) which then gives you another year before you have to take action again. Hopefully by then you'll be ready for the capstone, but if not, an inexpensive TECEP will do.

Do I have to take a TECEP? I plan on not needing any other credits except the cornerstone and capstone. If I take the cornerstone and that gives me a year to take a course, can I then take the next capstone and graduate without needing to take a TECEP?
(05-07-2019, 12:34 PM)katelynn Wrote: Do I have to take a TECEP? I plan on not needing any other credits except the cornerstone and capstone. If I take the cornerstone and that gives me a year to take a course, can I then take the next capstone and graduate without needing to take a TECEP?

No you don't have to take a TECEP at all. The only reason you might need to take a TECEP would be if you hit the enrollment deadline before you were ready to take the capstone. You can apply, then you've got a year before you would HAVE to take the cornerstone, then another year before you would HAVE to take the capstone (or a TECEP if you weren't ready).
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • katelynn
They need most of your credits to be done before you can enroll for the capstone. It was nicer when there was flexibility on capstone timing.

My advice is also to apply and at least get an unofficial transcript "on the books" so you can get this on your resume as "in progress" or "expected completion X"

I don't think you will have nearly the amount of explaining to do that you're expecting.

If asked, there is nothing to lie about - "I am completing my degree as a distance learner and should be finished by X" the end. I think if you do start going into detail, you're going to lose them - instead talk about how invigorating it's been learning new things and developing better time management skills. (in other words, explaining your credit doesn't sell you, explaining your skills and accomplishments will)

Also, be prepared to answer how distance learning has been a challenge or a disadvantage in some way (that you can reframe as a positive) for example "I haven't had an opportunity to develop my public speaking as much as I'd have liked but now I can type and Skype like a rockstar, so that's been a challenge that has really helped me become stronger."
There will be employers who want you to criticize distance learning because THEY think it sucks, so find bulletproof truths you can bring in too. A truth (for me) is that the only way I could have completed my degree without going into debt was to place cost near the top of my list- so this process has allowed me to cash flow my education while attending an accredited state school" or similar.
(05-07-2019, 08:26 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice is also to apply and at least get an unofficial transcript "on the books" so you can get this on your resume as "in progress" or "expected completion X"

I don't think you will have nearly the amount of explaining to do that you're expecting.  

If asked, there is nothing to lie about - "I am completing my degree as a distance learner and should be finished by X" the end.  I think if you do start going into detail, you're going to lose them - instead talk about how invigorating it's been learning new things and developing better time management skills. (in other words, explaining your credit doesn't sell you, explaining your skills and accomplishments will)

Also, be prepared to answer how distance learning has been a challenge or a disadvantage in some way (that you can reframe as a positive) for example "I haven't had an opportunity to develop my public speaking as much as I'd have liked but now I can type and Skype like a rockstar, so that's been a challenge that has really helped me become stronger."  
There will be employers who want you to criticize distance learning because THEY think it sucks, so find bulletproof truths you can bring in too.  A truth (for me) is that the only way I could have completed my degree without going into debt was to place cost near the top of my list- so this process has allowed me to cash flow my education while attending an accredited state school"  or similar.

That's great advice, thank you. I'm probably stressing myself out too much. Based on where I'm from, local employers will probably just be pleased to encounter someone who finished high school, let alone obtained a college education.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 393 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 791 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 628 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Sommet Education acquires Invictus Education Group bjcheung77 0 689 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM
  Secretary of Education to speak at ACE2021 ashkir 0 661 03-19-2021, 07:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 644 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
  Australian/European levels of education - EQF, RQF, SCQF. bjcheung77 8 2,197 11-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Nilv