Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education Section of Job Resume
Just tell the truth on the CV/Resume.

Bachelor of Science in Business (Expected June 2020)
Excelsior College, Albany, New York
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

(05-07-2019, 09:33 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 08:26 PM)cookderosa Wrote: My advice is also to apply and at least get an unofficial transcript "on the books" so you can get this on your resume as "in progress" or "expected completion X"

I don't think you will have nearly the amount of explaining to do that you're expecting.  

If asked, there is nothing to lie about - "I am completing my degree as a distance learner and should be finished by X" the end.  I think if you do start going into detail, you're going to lose them - instead talk about how invigorating it's been learning new things and developing better time management skills. (in other words, explaining your credit doesn't sell you, explaining your skills and accomplishments will)

Also, be prepared to answer how distance learning has been a challenge or a disadvantage in some way (that you can reframe as a positive) for example "I haven't had an opportunity to develop my public speaking as much as I'd have liked but now I can type and Skype like a rockstar, so that's been a challenge that has really helped me become stronger."  
There will be employers who want you to criticize distance learning because THEY think it sucks, so find bulletproof truths you can bring in too.  A truth (for me) is that the only way I could have completed my degree without going into debt was to place cost near the top of my list- so this process has allowed me to cash flow my education while attending an accredited state school"  or similar.

That's great advice, thank you. I'm probably stressing myself out too much. Based on where I'm from, local employers will probably just be pleased to encounter someone who finished high school, let alone obtained a college education.

LOL that's funny. But seriously, hold your head high! Smile
I agree with the advice on just enrolling and then listing it on your resume as "In Progress" and/or "Expected completion on x date."

For what it's worth, I've had my degree listed on my resume as in progress, and I recently went through a background check for a job, and they verified my enrolled status, even though I've been working on alternative credits. I'm not sure how it would have played out there if I hadn't actually been enrolled.

There is really not much downside to enrolling at TESU since it's free and you lock in your catalog. And worst case, if you can't meet the deadline to maintain enrollment, you just pay to reapply and move to a new enrollment catalog.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
[-] The following 2 users Like Muldoon's post:
  • cookderosa, katelynn
(05-17-2019, 05:42 PM)Muldoon Wrote: ...
For what it's worth, I've had my degree listed on my resume as in progress, and I recently went through a background check for a job, and they verified my enrolled status, even though I've been working on alternative credits. I'm not sure how it would have played out there if I hadn't actually been enrolled.

Most likely, you would have just had to explain and maybe show that you have indeed been taking online courses, but who wants to have to do that?
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(05-17-2019, 05:42 PM)Muldoon Wrote: I agree with the advice on just enrolling and then listing it on your resume as "In Progress" and/or "Expected completion on x date."

There is really not much downside to enrolling at TESU since it's free and you lock in your catalog. And worst case, if you can't meet the deadline to maintain enrollment, you just pay to reapply and move to a new enrollment catalog.

I wouldn't say I was enrolled at a particular school unless I actually was - that would be lying.  Taking online courses that are ACE/NCCRS recommended is not the same as being enrolled at an actual school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 393 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 791 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,096 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 750 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 628 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Sommet Education acquires Invictus Education Group bjcheung77 0 689 05-06-2021, 04:50 PM
  Secretary of Education to speak at ACE2021 ashkir 0 661 03-19-2021, 07:44 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 644 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
  Australian/European levels of education - EQF, RQF, SCQF. bjcheung77 8 2,197 11-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Nilv