Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Education quality of CLEP Testing
Hello, I am new to this. I was set on using Lumerit but had an uneasy feeling about it so decided to find reviews on it.  That led me to this forum, which I find fascinating. I have a question about CLEPing that I can’t find an answer to despite all my searching here and elsewhere - How is the quality of the education using resources like Study.com and Sophia.com, etc? Something I don’t understand is how the CLEP tests are accepted for college credit when the creators of the test themselves say the test are easy (I read somewhere the tests are rated a 2 on a 1-5 scale of difficulty). I’m interested in CLEPing because of the flexibility and cost, but I still want a rigorous and thorough education. I’m not just looking for a piece of paper but an actual education to be proud of, ya know? I don’t want anything handed to me. So these “easy tests” are something I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around. I’m not trying to insult anyone who’s gone this route by implying you didn’t have a good education. I am assuming that I am just lacking information on how this all works. Thanks in advance! (Please don’t use initials in your response, because other than CLEP and AP, I don’t know what they mean!)
They are only easy if you're familiar with the material; and some subjects are more difficult/broader in subject matter than others.  They are all lower lever (LL) credit - freshman/sophomore years.  You go out and learn the material independently vs a traditional class.  There are many sources available to preparing for the exams.  I would suggest one of them be Modern States (MS) as they will also allow you to take the exams for FREE - https://modernstates.org
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

"Easy" is, of course, SO subjective. I've read posts where someone says they studied for a day and passed the test easily. Others have taken the same exam and failed it multiple times.

If rigorousness is your priority then I'd say CLEP is a good fit for you because you can studies as in depth as you want in preparation for the exam.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

edhi, how young are you and what grade level are you in? If you're an adult, what is the highest level of education you have attained? These CLEP exams and other alternative college credit options are different for each individual - Some think it's too easy, some think it's too much rigorous study is required, and some think it's on-par with first/second year college courses.

Basically, it depends how much the person already know on the subject and their respective age/maturity, other factors such as family commitments, work, etc will play a role in how they perceive the alternative credits. Essentially, CLEP/AP and other similar exam options are all recommended for college credit, a majority of them are Lower Level and some providers have Upper Level.

All in all, you're getting a quality education as you require at minimum 6 credits from the college/university of your choice if you do choose the Big 3. The cornerstone gets you prepared for academic writing, the capstone verifies your cumulative learning outcomes.

If you decide on competency degrees, it'll be different than the Big 3, you will need to complete assessments for 30 credits worth. So, it's up to you to decide what type of education is for you. Alternative education, competency based, traditional university or a match of all three - a hybrid. Don't worry about it, the Masters/PhD is when you really learn your stuff...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
> when the creators of the test themselves say the test are easy

and where exactly did you read that ?

https://clep.collegeboard.org/earn-colle...lep-basics

https://clep.collegeboard.org/exams
The only ones I know that rate CLEP tests are on Free-CLEP-Prep, and they're not the creators of the exams, they just rate them against the difficulty of the other exams there.

If you want a rigorous education, that has absolutely nothing to do with CLEP, or anything else. A rigorous education is you studying and learning about something. Taking a CLEP test is just showing a college that you have decent knowledge of a subject. Those are two completely different things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CLEP Scores Change from 20 years to 10 natshar 7 239 Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Last Post: MichaelGates
  CLEP transcript question NOX 3 116 04-17-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Can CLEP, SDC, Sophia be considered Education Credit Expenses? bruh 1 127 04-13-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  CLEP Economics marinereef 3 272 04-05-2024, 01:46 PM
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 211 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 533 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 899 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 573 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 734 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 467 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill