Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Efficient Associate degree plan from scratch
Hi,

I am trying to decide where to get my HS aged son's Associate's degree from and hoping the veterans on here can help me with the most current options. We are looking to transfer in as much as possible via ACE/CLEP. We are not wed to a major as he can get that with his Bachelor's later. He has an eye for Gaming, but due to the highly specialized nature of it, the residency requirement is higher than I'd like, even with dual enrollment. So who has the most transfer friendly, inexpensive, quickie Associates degree these days? 

PS, He literally only has 3 credits a(Human Bio) and is working on 3 more (CSM Learn), so we are wide open!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
Unfortunately, Pierpont is right out due to the age of your son. Charter Oak is probably the best option, especially if you want to do it (mostly) with alt credit. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/As...7s_Degrees But, to be honest, unless your son is super eager to get an Associate's degree, it would probably be better to just go straight for the Bachelor's.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Its funny, I found that link 3 minutes ago, lol. The Pierpont age discrimination thing was disappointing. I actually managed to find a local CC in NJ that takes 45 transfer credits as well, we may keep in mind. Middlesex CC and we would qualify for the Dual Enrollment price as Homeschoolers! Just have to figure out the credits and degree. Thanks for chining in! TESU is so much higher than I expected for a state school. I started my journey aiming for TESU and accumulated a zillion credits before jumping to WGU.

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
SL - Personal Finance 
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
AAS Nursing
Make sure that you check that the local CC actually allows more than just CLEP. A lot of schools ONLY allow CLEP, possibly DSST. Definitely no Sophia or Study.com.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Hmm, OK. I will double check. I can't imagine accepting 45 credits and they all have to be CLEP or DSST, but I will find out. The Associates is a safety net, just in case life happens, you know.

So I mixed up two Middlesex Colleges. The one with the 45 credit transfer credit policy is in Massachusetts. ? But I did confirm the NJ Middlesex school does accept ACE credits. The question is how many transfer credits will they accept. I even reached out to the Middlesex Mass to see if they take out of state dual enrollment students since their transfer policy is so generous. Figured, why not?

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
(05-10-2021, 05:19 AM)cwendy111 Wrote: Hmm, OK. I will double check. I can't imagine accepting 45 credits and they all have to be CLEP or DSST, but I will find out. The Associates is a safety net, just in case life happens, you know.
This is how Waubonsee does it: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Wa...ty_College As far as I could tell, they don't accept any ACE credits besides CLEP.

Quote:So I mixed up two Middlesex Colleges. The one with the 45 credit transfer credit policy is in Massachusetts. ? But I did confirm the NJ Middlesex school does accept ACE credits. The question is how many transfer credits will they accept. I even reached out to the Middlesex Mass to see if they take out of state dual enrollment students since their transfer policy is so generous. Figured, why not?

Hopefully, they'll accept things like SDC and Sophia. If you're within driving distance, I also found https://www.middlesexcc.edu/manual/image...ByExam.pdf for them. It's likely out of date as far as the exam list goes but they seem to still have the same policies: https://www.course-catalog.com/mcc/C/201...nation/102
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cwendy111
When we CLEP, it shall be at home, I hope! I have a Sophia membership for him, so we lean that way, but we need to get some English credits and the CLEP sounds more straightforward than Sophia's. We will def be doing some of those XAMK courses, even if they are used later. Free credits we cant get anywhere else in a field he likes is not something we can afford to pass up. I still cant believe you got 3 credits for some of those modules.

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing
[-] The following 1 user Likes cwendy111's post:
  • rachel83az
It isn't age discrimination, it is a program that is specifically designed to get adults a degree from their mass of credits. It wasn't designed to get a child a step up.
Current Degree Programs:
MA in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - GSU - May 2025
Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 3 users Like TINASAM's post:
  • BrianFallon, ctcarl, ss20ts
BTW, there is talk of XAMK potentially offering a (partly) online Bachelor's degree in video games. Their fees are currently about 6000 euros per year for non-Finnish students. I think a degree is 3 years (180 ECTS). It'd certainly be more expensive than somewhere like TESU or COSC but that's not bad for a degree specifically about video game creation and design. If it happens, the video game certificate should count towards some of the ECTS needed.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • cwendy111
Interesting indeed.

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020

Credits Taken
SL - Personal Finance 
AAS Nursing

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 56 8 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 151 9 hours ago
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 131 Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,716 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 195 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,550 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 212 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 623 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,075 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM