Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Major
I'm trying to put together a plan for someone and I know what all the Gen Eds come in as for TESU.
However, for an English Major - what course options are there (no CLEP/DSST because there isn't a testing center convenient)...

What they need...
*They were given 3 credits Survey of Lit but need 3 more credits (what they have came in as LIT-208)

*Analyzing and Interpreting Lit (I think study.com's course satisfies this?)

*Non-Western Lit - options?

*12 credits UL English Electives (preferably some options other than shmoop - I'm aware of the ones there that are UL but would like a few alternatives)

I checked through both SL and Study.com's transfer guides and I couldn't find any options other than the A&I Lit. But I know those guides aren't always up-to-date.
Any help much appreciated!
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
I think I have everything figured out except the non-western lit course. BYU has CHIN 343 Chinese Lit for $549 and UT has a course for $850. Any other options anyone knows about? I found a local community college that offers African American Lit but I'm pretty sure that won't work.
That's where I ended up when doing this exercise on behalf of my daughter a couple of months ago. Non Western lit was the one course that wasn't available cheap.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:Non Western lit was the one course that wasn't available cheap.

Yup. The first course provider that offers nonwestern lit will see a serious rush to sign up. Why Shmoop doesn't have it is baffling - especially when they have drugs in lit, which nobody is asking for.:ack:
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
would coopersmith's course work for foreign lit?
Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (LIT-401)
http://secularcourses.com/english-and-literature/
According to their site it's only $50 a credit.
http://secularcourses.com/tuition-fees/
frostedfire Wrote:would coopersmith's course work for foreign lit?
Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry (LIT-401)
English and Information Literacy
According to their site it's only $50 a credit.
Course Fees

Probably not, unfortunately. From the nonwestern lit course description:

Quote:The term non-Western literature generally refers to writings by people in any culture or country except those of Western Europe, Ancient Greece and the United States.

So the fact that it is *Spanish* Jewish poetry likely disqualifies it.
TESU BALS Humanities, thanks to this place!

The mind is willing, but the wallet is weak.
I emailed study.com but they said they have no plans to add a non-western lit course anytime soon. But you are right. The first course provider to do so will have a rush. I know for me personally, the only reason I didn't go with either a History or English degree was because I couldn't test out of everything. So I'm planning to finish my liberal studies with social science concentration and then pick up either history or literature at the Master's level along with teacher certification. I've already talked to WGU and I should be able to take all the classwork in the first six months and all the student teaching in the second six months. So a master's with teacher certification in a year for about 6k. Not too much more than the 4k I'm spending for my undergrad. But I would have liked - just for personal satisfaction - to have my undergrad be slightly different. For me anyway, this checks the box and gets me into grad school so I'm content. Maybe I'll suggest the same thing for my friend unless she has the time/money for those other courses.
Western Washington University has 6 UL English self paced courses for $131/credit
Courses: WesternOnline - WWU Distance Learning Programs and Courses

I don't know how any of those trasfer in as, though
DavidHume Wrote:Western Washington University has 6 UL English self paced courses for $131/credit
Courses: WesternOnline - WWU Distance Learning Programs and Courses

I don't know how any of those trasfer in as, though

I like the price per credit, but they are all 5 credit.

I don't think any would count as non-Western.

For non-western try ENGL 4700 through Tennessee Technical University
Search for Courses | TN eCampus

Not sure on their cost, though

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,772 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  TESU double major leeloodallas 12 3,835 04-11-2018, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,108 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
Question TESU BA in English and History rachel83az 6 1,635 03-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: originalamyj
  Is TESU's academic evaluation less accurate for out-of-major calculations? Pelican 4 1,235 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? leland.kirk 38 8,312 03-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  I'm solidly set on TESU BSBA CIS, Any help figuring out options for a double major? camjenks 5 1,513 03-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Last Post: camjenks
  Trying to grasp all of this. TESU - BA - English BSLIONS 8 1,800 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help! TESU roadmap for my intended double major DarthArbiter00 3 1,555 02-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Last Post: davewill
Thumbs Up Aspiring BA CS/MATH double major (Thanks TrailRunr!!!) otavio 24 3,659 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Last Post: dfrecore