Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to grasp all of this. TESU - BA - English
I have been trying to do my best to use the search feature on the forums to answer all of my questions but I still have a few. First of all, I'm basing my road map off of one that I saw on the forum for a BA in English with a lot of the classes coming from Shmoop. However I was trying to tweak it a little to better fit what I was looking for. I'll also have a few credits coming in from some prior coursework that I've done. Basically I was wondering if I could change the free electives section around to something like this. 

My prior coursework. 
COM140 – Contemporary Business Communication
COM150 – Effective Essay Writing
COM220 – Research Writing
CRT205 – Critical Thinking
GEN105 – Skills For Learning In An Info Age

What I'd like to add along with those. 
Shmoop - Journalism 101 (College)
Shmoop - Professional Writing (College)

What I'd like to drop. 
LIT-299 Shakespeare in Context
LIT-242 The Bible as Literature
ENG-299 Victorian Literature
LIT-202 Western Literature
Intro to Physics
PSY-232 Human Sexuality
PSY-101 Psychology 101

What I'd keep. 
COM-120 Media Literacy

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English (Shmoop).xlsx (Size: 39.92 KB / Downloads: 13)
That's my degree plan. What's actually more helpful is for you to show what you've taken. We can't recommend things if we don't know what you've already done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Nothing else besides the 5 courses I’m bringing from the other college. I’m familiarizing myself with Shmoop and other sites at the moment. So it’s almost like I’m starting from scratch.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

It sounds like you want to cater your degree more to a technical or business writing degree than literature, correct? If so you may find it hard to find UL credits.
Amy
Goal: BA in English at TESU
Completed: 78 B&M credits plus:
Institutes: Ethics
Study.com: Personal Finance, History of the Vietnam War, English Comp I, Intro World Religions, Public Speaking, Intro to Humanities
Shmoop: Bible as Literature, Shakespeare's Plays, Women's Lit, Modernist Lit, Holocaust Lit
TECEP: Technical Writing
For TESU's English degree, there are 5 UL courses at Shmoop that are available. Other than that, there is no way to get an English degree via testing out. So I'm not sure what you want here.

Yes, you can swap out some of the Shmoop courses on the list for other courses. And your courses will come in, but not necessarily where you want. But if you want that English degree, you don't have a ton of other options if you're not bringing in UL courses from somewhere else.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
All the courses the OP is looking to 'drop' are from the Free Electives section of the template.  If I'm reading this correctly, it isn't so much they are looking to 'drop', but more that the OP is looking to replace/swap-out their already earned (prior coursework), and new Shmoop options (add along with those) and keep one remaining (what I'd keep)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • BSLIONS
(02-23-2018, 12:09 PM)allvia Wrote: All the courses the OP is looking to 'drop' are from the Free Electives section of the template.

In that case, he can easily make the changes that he wants. For the OP, Free Electives means that you can put anything worth college credit there.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • BSLIONS
(02-23-2018, 12:09 PM)allvia Wrote: All the courses the OP is looking to 'drop' are from the Free Electives section of the template.  If I'm reading this correctly, it isn't so much they are looking to 'drop', but more that the OP is looking to replace/swap-out their already earned (prior coursework), and new Shmoop options (add along with those) and keep one remaining (what I'd keep)

This is exactly it, sorry if I wasn't clear on that from the beginning. I know they are electives and they should be able to easily be swapped out. I was basically wondering if anybody saw any glaring reason that it wouldn't work out. It was just one of those things where after researching as much as I could,  it looked good to me but maybe somebody else knew something I didn't.
The main problem, I think, is that you are using a template that says BA in English (Shmoop) - meaning it's going to utilize as many Shmoop courses as humanly possible.  You want the BA in English, without the Shmoop after the name, meaning you can use any course providers you want.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English.xlsx (Size: 41.14 KB / Downloads: 22)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,974 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,102 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,636 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,729 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,373 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore