Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Environmental Science and Biology
I've decided that I'm not going to use my tuition reimbursement for a law enforcement academy or nursing program. My employer only gives up to six hours of educational leave each week, and that's not enough for an academy or nursing program due to my work schedule completely overlapping with night classes. I also wouldn't have enough leave to do 12-hour clinical rotations with WGU. If I go into law enforcement, it would be better for me to be sponsored as a cadet or to get hired by a department with its own academy. 

So, I've decided that I want to study something in the life sciences after completing my PhD. Biology pairs nicely with criminal justice since it's a required degree for most forensic science jobs, and some universities due a lot of research in biological criminology. I also like the medical side of biology and working with mammals; however, I was seeing that environmental science jobs typically pay more than lab jobs and wildlife jobs. This degree would mostly be for personal fulfillment purposes, but it wouldn't hurt to get a useful degree. 

I've asked these questions on other forums and haven't gotten any responses, so I might as well try here, too. Would it be best to just get the master's in biology? Would it provide me the flexibility to enter the environmental science field? Or, should I get a master's in environmental science or a related major? 

As for environmental science programs, this leads to more questions. I've been looking at multiple programs with different names, but with similar curricula: Environmental Science, Environmental Sustainability and Natural Resource Management, Environmental Policy and Management with a concentration in Wildlife and Fisheries, and Environmental Engineering. I'm probably going to cross environmental engineering off my list due to the additional prerequisites I would need. 

Among the other programs, would employers be confused by degree titles such as Environmental Policy and Management or Environmental Sustainability and Natural Resource Management? I guess it would be easier to just get a degree in environmental science, but the school with the Environmental Sustainability and Natural Resource program is ranked in several engineering and science fields, and they have very high name recognition in my state.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Which environmental degree would greatly depend on the kind of work you wanted to do with it. If you wanted to work in a manufacturing environment, you would have to be very impressive to get them to look at your resume without the engineering piece. My husband runs the environmental department for a paper mill, which is how I know. (His Bachelor's is Chemical Engineering.) It does pay really well, though. 
Do some LinkedIn research to see what kinds of jobs people with the specific degrees have. I know a number of environmental science majors just end up selling solar door-to-door.
Twenty years ago (yes, it's been that long) or longer actually, when I graduated High School with undesirable grades, the profession I really wanted to get into was Environmental Engineering Technology at the local college/institute as I knew I wanted to get into that field.

However, when I went to college, I was torn between Biology and Earth/Environmental Sciences. In the end, I kind of dropped out of college after two and a half years of studying general arts/sciences then went on to learn A+/Network+, then started working... fast forward 20 years and now I am here!

I would look at it through several factors of what really inspires you, which profession or job duties that suits you most. Get the degree or credentials required to practice in that profession and away you go! Hmm... On to more studying I go! Educational adventures await us all in this lifelong journey of learning...

This is what I wanted: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/major...ngineering
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
After digging for specifics on prerequisites, I've eliminated the Environmental Sustainability and Environmental Science programs. One will require a bachelor's in a natural science or mathematics; the other will require several chemistry courses.

So, I'm left with biology or environmental policy and management. The latter is cheaper, but it has other issues such as being from a 100% online for-profit ( which could be a problem for something as hands-on as science), and I don't know how employers would perceive the degree name.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(10-08-2017, 06:15 PM)sanantone Wrote: After digging for specifics on prerequisites, I've eliminated the Environmental  Sustainability and Environmental Science programs. One will require a bachelor's in a natural science or mathematics; the other will require several chemistry courses.

So, I'm left with biology or environmental policy and management. The latter is cheaper, but it has other issues such as being from a 100% online for-profit ( which could be a problem for something as hands-on as science), and I don't know how employers would perceive the degree name.

What's the degree name and which online for-profit school is this coming from?  Don't tell me it's from U of Phoenix!

(10-09-2017, 02:51 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(10-08-2017, 06:15 PM)sanantone Wrote: After digging for specifics on prerequisites, I've eliminated the Environmental  Sustainability and Environmental Science programs. One will require a bachelor's in a natural science or mathematics; the other will require several chemistry courses.

What's the degree name and which online for-profit school is this coming from?  Don't tell me it's from U of Phoenix!

The name is environmental policy and management as mentioned above. University of Phoenix is neither cheap nor 100% virtual.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Just an FYI: Mississippi State University (distance.msstate.edu) offers online master’s degrees in General Biology and Geoscience with a concentration in Environmental Geoscience. They offer a large number of online degrees. Hope this helps.
(10-17-2017, 10:11 PM)Sacricolist Wrote: Just an FYI:  Mississippi State University (distance.msstate.edu) offers online master’s degrees in General Biology and Geoscience with a concentration in Environmental Geoscience.  They offer a large number of online degrees. Hope this helps.

I came across Mississippi State University. I crossed them off my list because they require a campus visit for the general biology program. But, thank you. 

I just found out that one of the schools I was looking at will accept my associate's in biology as being sufficient preparation.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Ouch, you're making more and more interested in this program of yours...
Hmm, intriguing..., I look forward to seeing your journey. Good luck!

(10-17-2017, 11:21 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ouch, you're making more and more interested in this program of yours...
Hmm, intriguing..., I look forward to seeing your journey. Good luck!

Thanks. I still haven't decided if I want to complete a third bachelor's at COSC or Excelsior (natural science/biology) because it would be faster and cheaper or go for a master's that will probably lead to more opportunities. My employer will cover a good bit of the cost, but I would be stuck with them two years after completing the program.

If I recall correctly, one of the programs I'm looking at said that 60% of their students land a job making at least $60,000 within 6 months of graduation.

Edit: It's employed upon graduation, which is even better.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 112 03-27-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,657 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 11 1,305 12-11-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MS Data Analytics vs MS Data Science smartdegree 10 1,247 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Indiana University MS Data Science - $12,500 total cost Yanji 12 2,964 10-20-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters Data Science LivingLog 43 7,273 10-20-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  DTSC-660 at Eastern University (MS in Data Science program) AwardTour 3 1,720 05-25-2023, 04:17 PM
Last Post: AnonStudent
  Study MSc in Environmental Management for free with the Open University UK HVzR5 3 691 05-13-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: HVzR5
  MSc Data Science - University Of Colorado Boulder tuckerarabi786 9 2,031 05-10-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: HVzR5
  Master (Propio) in Data Science from Complutense University Madrid smartdegree 5 1,213 03-12-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Kab