Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever Had Any Trouble With Instructors Grading You?
This is especially for those who took courses through TESC.

I am taking War & American Society under Tom Lansford. We have been in a new module for about six days, and I haven't seen any action taken on my comments on the previous module's discussion forum. At my count, I had more than enough comments before the deadline, so it should be graded.

I put in a ticket with TESC asking them if this is standard procedure, so I am awaiting their answer.

But have any of you ever had to ride herd on your instructor for dragging their feet on grading?

If they say I failed the module, I'd really like to know why so I can improve. Do they tell you where you can make adjustments to your coursework?
corpsole2 Wrote:This is especially for those who took courses through TESC.

I am taking War & American Society under Tom Lansford. We have been in a new module for about six days, and I haven't seen any action taken on my comments on the previous module's discussion forum. At my count, I had more than enough comments before the deadline, so it should be graded.

I put in a ticket with TESC asking them if this is standard procedure, so I am awaiting their answer.

But have any of you ever had to ride herd on your instructor for dragging their feet on grading?

If they say I failed the module, I'd really like to know why so I can improve. Do they tell you where you can make adjustments to your coursework?

On both the course I took at TESC and the PLA through them I would say the average for grading is one week. They may have an official policy, otherwise I'd say that a week is a far amount and if you have concerns about something in particular you could send a nicely worded email to the instructor. Every instructor I've had at any school has been different, some are quick and some aren't.
My completed "non-traditional" credits include 27 credits from CLEP, 30 credits from DSST, 6 credits from ALEKS, 19 credits from FEMA courses including PDS, 3 credits from NFA courses, 10 credits from ACE Workplace Training, 3 credits from a TESC TECEP exam, and 3 credits from a TESC PLA course.
Not all course mentors are created equal, unfortunately. I had some that graded near-instantly and were fantastic where feedback was concerned, while others... My microeconomics course mentor disappeared off the map from a week or two before the midterm until the end of the course; nothing was graded, no comments or responses to discussion board...nothing. The week before finals, another student and I put in a ticket to say we needed some form of grading as the final approached, and the course finished with the department head taking over (and miraculously, the original course mentor showed up a day or so after the dept head appeared on the course mentor listing).

My usual comfort zone before I'd start getting cranky about non-response or non-grading was two weeks. After that, I'd email the mentor to ask if I had submitted the assignment incorrectly as a prompt. Only in that one case did that not bring the mentor back to grade the assignments, where I had to resort to a ticket to the school.

Sorry you're having difficulties with a slow grader. Hang in there. If it happens again, try shooting the mentor an email directly. The mentor should've posted their contact information in the introductions, but it should also be listed somewhere in the links to the left of your assignment module.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
corpsole2 Wrote:This is especially for those who took courses through TESC.

I took this course in the February term with the mentor Leon Fisher. He usually didn't grade my discussion assignments until I had submitted a written assignment or exam for grading, then he graded them at the same time. This resulted in some of my discussion assignments not being graded until 1.5 to 2 weeks after they were due. This didn't really bother me since I liked the grades he gave me and everything was graded by the end of the term. So, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are also waiting over a week for your written assignments and exams to be graded.
I took 2 courses with TESC one On-line one Guided study. The On-line teacher was slow to grade and gave little to no feedback on what was wrong when an assignment was not 100%, she never commented to anyone on the discussions and gave absolutely no feedback on them. This also took sometimes as much as 2 1/2 weeks. The guided study course I got prompt grades with excellent feedback. Even if I got 100% she would explain what made the paper good.

I did call the school about timing once and was told the teachers had no set time for grading. Maybe a help ticket will get things rolling.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thanks, guys, and specifically to Virginian. It helps to get some perspective on this. I am new to whole mentoring format at TESC; in the past I was used to more active instructor involvement.

So far I have been very happy with the grades he's given me on the written assignments - all 100%. What's amazing to me is I really haven't needed to do much reading at all for the course, and still generated some great discussions.

I guess my main concern is if the credit is given to you for a cumulative score of over 60%, or if the instructor says you had all your assignments graded on time. In other words, will they deny credit even if you scored a 90 on the course because it says one of the modules is 'incomplete?' And did any of you get penalized for late comments? Professor Lansford told me he was waiting on final comments a few days after they were due.
Hello CooperAlex2004, I see you did a TESC PLA. Was it one of those TESC calls "standard" that appear in their regular course schedules? How was the experience? I am finishing one "individual" PLA MUS-315 Music Theater and will register for another of this type, MUS-370 Arranging I, starting in July. The reason for my inquiry is that in another thread AZDan wants to get into PLA for his BSBA and up to now I somehow felt I was the only one on this forum with real PLA experience at TESC. Just glad to find someone else who might be able to chime in from time to time on this issue.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU My Edison log-in trouble JanuarySunshine 4 2,451 08-14-2018, 10:27 AM
Last Post: JanuarySunshine
  Transcripts to TESU TROUBLE Mousebouncer 7 1,416 06-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Mousebouncer
  Grading Turnaround Time for TECEP's Synicaal 1 928 03-28-2017, 10:30 AM
Last Post: pandas4eva
  TECEP grading - how long does it take? dfrecore 10 2,159 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM
Last Post: Mamasaphire
  No longer grading CLEP exams? 1truefish 10 1,616 02-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Last Post: SuZQ2
  DSST grading at Charter Oak for GPA betch 6 1,424 01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
Last Post: BGSU_Alum_86
  Trouble with my.tesc.edu? rvadog 23 2,172 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Westerner
  Anyone else having trouble logging in to TESC's Moodle? Westerner 12 1,476 01-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Westerner
  NCCSR/TESC Grading question MN456 4 726 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Last Post: freedegreefree
  Last minute trouble, need Penn Foster experience walternc3 15 1,800 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Muricles