Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need help/advice
I gently want to suggest that graduation does not mean culture shock for all children. My oldest has worked since age 16, and has done very well "in public" situations for his employers, including being offered a leadership position/promotion. (he graduated high school YESTERDAY!) He also completed a 6 week welding diploma program in 11th grade at the community college with adults, and experienced ZERO culture shock. This past semester he took English 101 on campus at a different CC. I think it depends on the kid, and how they've spent their previous 18 years, because I expected some issues, but he has experienced none.
On the flip side, I think there is merit to exposure, so if you need to get their big toe in the water first, then on campus programs are maybe good ideas. I say maybe, because having taught in a community college for 18 years, I assure you it's a MIX of all types of people and all ages. As far as quality of the experience (socially) I think it will depend on the class your child takes. Non-pre req programs are going to be the most "interesting" and Calculus 1 is going to be clean and strong.
Personally, I see nothing wrong with skipping the "college experience" completely. That "experience" is why we have a 60% non-completer rate across every type of college in the country. I'd like my kids to get a little less experience and a little more academics if you know what I mean! Smile
Cookderosa I agree, my kids will not have culture shock after graduation. They have enough interaction with the world to be prepared for it. My son doesn't like school so would like to get done with it asap. My CC have a dual enrollement program where the price per credit is cut in half and no fees. My daughter did this for 3 semesters but then decided to transfer to Montclair State.
Sanantone I was not aware of this, thanks for this info. My son wants to be a state police officer (trooper). I will look up their requirements and work from there. Sorry but what does LE mean?
I don't want my kids to get a generic degree, but the fact that you need a degree for almost everything is insane. I like the idea of getting an associates for now and then continuing later. Cookderosa I love the idea of getting a certificate while still in high school and I will look into that.
UptonSinclair we do not qualify for pell grants. No we are not rich my husband just works hard and the gov thinks we make enough to send our kids to college with no help from them, but that's a different topicSmile. Only 7 kids are living at home, with the oldest of these 7 in college. She did not want to clep and go this route, she wanted to "experience school", I told her fine but I am not taking loans out for her she has to do that on her own.
Sorry about that. LE means law enforcement. If he were looking at corrections, then criminal justice degrees do tend to be preferred there; but, not police science or law enforcement.

Quote:Education

A candidate must have: (1) a bachelor's degree; OR (2) possess a minimum of 90 credits and will complete their degree by a specified date prior to the written examination. The deadline for completing a bachelor's degree under option 2 and remaining eligible will be announced at the time of initial application. (3) OR a candidate must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience; OR (4) 30 college credits, PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an honorable discharge. All college degrees/credits must be from an accredited college or university.
New Jersey State Police - Recruiting - Minimum Qualifications

So, basically, he could have a degree in underwater basket weaving.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[QUOTE So, basically, he could have a degree in underwater basket weaving.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will let him know and see which degree he chooses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,981 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,179 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,136 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Help! Advice needed! TESU enrollment expiring. Lewis.Yim 15 4,410 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Last Post: sheptr
  Looking for advice about finishing my degree needdegree123 20 3,020 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Newbie seeking advice please AJ127 4 1,682 05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Last Post: AJ127
  Canadian Looking for Degree Advice Dr. Canuck 14 3,173 04-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on TESU degree plan Tripletmom 1 1,056 04-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Degree Completion Advice ChasingDegrees 6 1,930 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Last Post: allvia
  Advice about TESU (Expiring soon) BigDad92 7 1,865 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM
Last Post: scaffdog