Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian Looking for Degree Advice
Hello All,

I'm hoping a veteran of this site may have some insight on my particular issue.

I am 41 and currently working in healthcare.  I abandoned a bachelors degree 16 years ago and have almost 120 ch of coursework towards a double major in math and statistics.  This includes electives in Intro Bio and Intro Chem (no labs), Intro Psych, Intro Java programming, Microecon and Macroecon, two Bioethics, Neuropsych, etc.  I was close to graduating (with a 3.6 GPA no less!) but I did not compete a few required courses, life got in the way, and I landed a good job that didn't need the degree.  Not surprisingly, the institution I originally attended only recognizes credits earned within the last 10 years, so that's a non-starter.

It's taken quite some time to sift through the wealth of information provided on this site.  I could have easily missed something, so my apologies in advance if these questions have been answered elsewhere:

1. Will the Big 3 accept coursework up to 20 years old from a nationally-accredited Canadian university?

2. It looks like all three schools require a third-party transcript analysis (ECE).  Do the following potential credit caps look accurate?

---TESU caps out at 90 ch.
---EC accepts up to 117 ch excluding the Capstone and Information Literacy courses.
---COSC appears to require  30 ch from a US institution, so I'm assuming their limit is 90 ch.

3. I'm in no rush to finish the degree, but I am looking for the cheapest option.  I realize that the ECE transfer credits will need to be applied to get a true picture of what is needed, but assuming they max out as above and the remaining coursework would be Gen Ed/Free Electives (for the time being, I'll ignore their cost), I have the following approximations in USD that I'd like verified if possible (excluding transcript analysis and application fees):

EC:

Annual Enrollment = $495
Fee for taking less than 12 ch = $1095
4 ch @ $510 each = $2040
Grad Fee = $495
Certificate = $50
Total = $4175

TESU:
Cornerstone course = $300
Annual Enrollment (Out of State) = $2,500
Graduation = $366
Total = $3166

COSC:
Student Services Fee (Non-Resident) = $275
Technology Fee = $68
3 ch Capstone = 3 x $392 = $1176
Graduation = $215
Total = $1734

4. I completed a major 4th year project course - do you think it could possibly waive the Capstone requirement?

Regarding the Electives, I verified that I qualify to test for FEMA credits and I know there are some other free/almost free options so I think this expense will be minimal.  However I know there can be a lot of nuances affecting cost, so if anyone has advice about optimizing finances via degree choice/elective methods, I'd love to hear it.

Cheers
Hey there Canuck, we're the same age! Which city/province are you from? Which school and what credits do you have? If you can, list them all here in and make this your accountability thread. There are a few Canadians on the board and the majority of the time, I recommended Athabasca if you just want that check in the box degree (BGS).

Your calculations are different than the one I updated yesterday on my sticky, Beginners Guide for College Credit Thread. COSC, Excelsior, TESU allows you to transfer everything BUT the CAPSTONE. There's no way you can transfer that "project course", and for COSC, you have to do a cornerstone from them as well - recap, Excelsior/TESU can transfer 117, COSC can transfer up to 114 credits.

Lastly, all of the Big 3 will accept any credits from a recognized Canadian or International university as long as it has been evaluated course by course bases by one of the recommended agencies. For now, just send it to them for an evaluation and apply to all 3. If you are in AB, BC, ON, then I highly recommend applying to WGU as well since they have a fee waiver going on.

Do you have any IT certs or anything else? If you do, these schools may take them as well. Brandman/Hodges/Patten/WGU does have a 90 credit limit transfer, but those are competency-based degrees and can be completed the way you want - cheap/easy/fast. It may seem a lot of work, but many people here have cranked out those 30 credits in one term of 6 months for about ~$3500.

Recap - Use this as your accountability/progress thread, copy/paste your credits so we can see what degree would be best for you, ask away with your questions. Get your evaluation done and send them to the schools of choice. Good luck, I look forward to seeing those credits and helping you out along your way through this educational journey of yours.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Dr. Canuck
I know that TESU caps how many courses older than 10 years you can bring into the AOS (major), but that's a very small hurdle to jump.  They will take the rest in all different places in Gen Ed and Free Electives, so you're fine there.

Definitely post all of your courses, and we can try to help you figure out which degree at which school might be the best fit.

For fees:

TESU will give you a reduction in fees if you sign up for Study.com.  Sign up (or apply for the scholarship), take a course, and boom, you just deleted the cost for the cornerstone (course is waived), reduced the cost for the Residency Waiver to $1800 (if you pay before 6/30/18) and lowered the cost of the Cornerstone (if registered before 6/30/18).

Application $75
Res Waiver $1800
Cornerstone $1097
Graduation Fee $332
TOTAL COST $3304

Excelsior Multi-Source Option

App Fee $50
Enrollment $1095
Tuition - Capstone $1530
Graduation Fee $495
TOTAL COST $3170

COSC

App Fee $75
Tuition - Cornerstone $1176
Tuition - Capstone $1176
Student Svcs Fee (Semester 1) $275
Student Svcs Fee (Semester 2) $275
Tech Fee $68
TOTAL COST $3045

The costs are very similar, but where you're going to notice the most savings is where your credits will fit.  If you think that you're going to choose COSC because they're the cheapest, but then you find that you have to take 6 specific courses, you might end up paying the most.  Since the costs are SO similar to each other, you are in the driver's seat in terms of where you want to go based on where you'll get the most bang for your buck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Dr. Canuck
If you really have that many math credits, then they'll be best used in a mathematics degree.  TESU offers a math major, and COSC offers a math concentration. A lot of your credits will be thrown away at the competency-based schools. If you decide against a math degree, for whatever reason, your next best option is a liberal studies degree at the Big Three or general studies at Athabasca.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Dr. Canuck
Hi bjcheung77:
Thanks for the well wishes... it's nice to see another old fart on the forum  Smile .

I hail from NB and attended The University of New Brunswick (UNB).  I don't have a copy of my transcripts on hand just yet, but they are ordered.  My only other coursework is a one-year Diploma in Medical Transcription.

I wasn't aware of Athabasca!  I'm going to have to root through their site.  (Edit: Briefly looked)  The BSG looks promising, although it is a 3-year degree.  A 4-year degree would be ideal, but the closest match looks like the BS in Applied Math which appears to require completing 30 ch of coursework through them - at $820/3 ch.  Eek.  I guess I'd consider getting the BSG then rolling that into a 4-year elsewhere if it made sense.

Sorry for missing your sticky (bad timing!).  Those numbers look reasonable for my budget, thanks for posting them.  The numbers can get confusing, especially when looking at discounts.  I'm assuming those rates are irrespective of residency.

Thanks for the WGU tip!  Good to have options!

Like you (and many others) have said, I should just get my transcripts evaluated by all of them first.  I'll likely apply to all five and update this thread as things progress.

All the Best,
Canuck

(12-21-2017, 03:49 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I know that TESU caps how many courses older than 10 years you can bring into the AOS (major), but that's a very small hurdle to jump.  They will take the rest in all different places in Gen Ed and Free Electives, so you're fine there.

Definitely post all of your courses, and we can try to help you figure out which degree at which school might be the best fit.

For fees:

TESU will give you a reduction in fees if you sign up for Study.com.  Sign up (or apply for the scholarship), take a course, and boom, you just deleted the cost for the cornerstone (course is waived), reduced the cost for the Residency Waiver to $1800 (if you pay before 6/30/18) and lowered the cost of the Cornerstone (if registered before 6/30/18).

Application $75
Res Waiver $1800
Cornerstone $1097
Graduation Fee $332
TOTAL COST $3304

Excelsior Multi-Source Option

App Fee $50
Enrollment $1095
Tuition - Capstone $1530
Graduation Fee $495
TOTAL COST $3170

COSC

App Fee $75
Tuition - Cornerstone $1176
Tuition - Capstone $1176
Student Svcs Fee (Semester 1) $275
Student Svcs Fee (Semester 2) $275
Tech Fee $68
TOTAL COST $3045

The costs are very similar, but where you're going to notice the most savings is where your credits will fit.  If you think that you're going to choose COSC because they're the cheapest, but then you find that you have to take 6 specific courses, you might end up paying the most.  Since the costs are SO similar to each other, you are in the driver's seat in terms of where you want to go based on where you'll get the most bang for your buck.

Thanks for the breakdown.  You're right of course - an accurate cost can be hard to approximate without knowing how much credit will be transferred and to which categories.  I guess I jumped the gun creating this thread by not having the transcripts yet.  Still, your advice is appreciated and I'll keep you abreast!

(12-21-2017, 03:53 PM)sanantone Wrote: If you really have that many math credits, then they'll be best used in a mathematics degree.  TESU offers a math major, and COSC offers a math concentration. A lot of your credits will be thrown away at the competency-based schools. If you decide against a math degree, for whatever reason, your next best option is a liberal studies degree at the Big Three or general studies at Athabasca.

That's sort of where I was struggling degree-wise.  Four calculus courses, regression analysis, linear algebra, complex analysis, mathematical modelling, sampling theory, ordinary differential equations, stochastic calculus, plus a handful more I can't think of at the moment... those courses were tough!  It would be nice to get a math degree.  I guess I'll compare those options when the transcripts get evaluated.
Sounds like a math degree might be your best bet - if they will take your courses in spite of their age. I think they may, but it's definitely worth looking at.

Once you get your transcripts, and your ECE analysis, you should post them. I would probably also apply at TESU and COSC, and see what they say. You know you want a degree, you're getting the analysis, you might as well apply and start the process now. Then, once both do an eval of your credits, you'll be much more prepared to do some research on the courses you need to finish, or what you might want to switch to if you had to.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • Dr. Canuck
Hi All,

Probably a dumb question, but I just found an official still-sealed copy of my transcripts in storage. I was going to send it to WES, but based on the website below Excelsior seems to require ECE for undergraduate applications and WES for graduate work. Can anyone verify this? Is WES > ECE or does it matter?

http://international.excelsior.edu/

As an aside, it seems that there are different types of reports available (General with Grade Average, Course-by-Course, etc). Anyone know offhand which one I need? I'd call them myself, but they're closed today.

Thanks in Advance,
Canuck
It does matter for Excelsior. ECE and WES are the only two I recommend for transcript evaluations for the Big 3. Since ECE is required of Excelsior, you should just get the three or more transcripts you need from them and have them forward their findings to the Big 3 directly.

• Dr. Canuck
(12-23-2017, 03:16 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It does matter for Excelsior.  ECE and WES are the only two I recommend for transcript evaluations for the Big 3.  Since ECE is required of Excelsior, you should just get the three or more transcripts you need from them and have them forward their findings to the Big 3 directly.

You only need 1 transcript, not 3 - just the one evaluated copy sent to 3 different schools.

(12-23-2017, 02:52 PM)Dr. Canuck Wrote: Hi All,

Probably a dumb question, but I just found an official still-sealed copy of my transcripts in storage.  I was going to send it to WES, but based on the website below Excelsior seems to require ECE for undergraduate applications and WES for graduate work.  Can anyone verify this?  Is WES > ECE or does it matter?

http://international.excelsior.edu/

As an aside, it seems that there are different types of reports available (General with Grade Average, Course-by-Course, etc).  Anyone know offhand which one I need?  I'd call them myself, but they're closed today.

Thanks in Advance,
Canuck

Excelsior has different rules for an outside agency evaluating international transcripts.  They are very specific; if you have and undergrad transcript, you MUST get it evaluated by ECE, and if you have graduate courses, you MUST get them evaluated by WES.  So it won't do you any good to send undergrad transcripts to WES if you want Excelsior to look at the courses.

Since Excelsior is very specific about only using ECE, and since both COSC and TESU accept ECE as well, that is what you need to go with.
  • Dr. Canuck
Dr. Canuck Wrote:As an aside, it seems that there are different types of reports available (General with Grade Average, Course-by-Course, etc). Anyone know offhand which one I need? I'd call them myself, but they're closed today.

Thanks in Advance,
Canuck

Yup, as my post #2 mentioned, it has to be course by course. They will need to take a look at each one of those courses to verify it's "similar" to a US course. Further to that, they'll also check to see if your school is accredited. Basically, they'll send all the major details, broken down into the points the schools will need to grant you credit. Each school will either grant or not grant the credit recommended by the evaluation agency, further to that, the evaluation agencies may have different outcomes.

• Dr. Canuck

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,159 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,822 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,945 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero