Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever heard of any of the big 3 grads going on to teach English in a foreign country?
burbuja0512 Wrote:My suggestion is to get some basics first and then immerse yourself. From my experience living in Mexico, it would have taken me a LOT longer to learn and understand if I didn't have a solid foundation of how to conjugate verbs, spelling, article/adjective gender agreement, etc.. At first when you are immersed, you start understanding before you can actually speak. When you want to speak, it does help a lot if you can actually form basic sentences. You may not know how to say exactly what you want, but you can get much closer. Not to mention, my Spanish grammar is better than most of my friends in Mexico. It helped me immensely when I started working down there. I was able to write a business letter and have effective written communication.

So... if you don't want to take the cc class, at the very least get a good CD program and have your first year basics down pat. It will make a huge difference.

Well I do have the entire set of Rosetta Stone Spanish system Smile I'm thinking that would be just as good as a CC class and more convenient. Smile Perhaps I'll give that a try? cheersmate
CollegeStudent7 Wrote:Well I do have the entire set of Rosetta Stone Spanish system Smile I'm thinking that would be just as good as a CC class and more convenient. Smile Perhaps I'll give that a try? cheersmate

If you're diligent, I bet any system could work for anyone. Perhaps you could learn enough to at least pick up a few Spanish CLEP credits? I can't say. I'm not sure if there's anyone here that has learned Spanish through self-study and then gone on to pass the test. I would be interested to know if there is.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:If you're diligent, I bet any system could work for anyone. Perhaps you could learn enough to at least pick up a few Spanish CLEP credits? I can't say. I'm not sure if there's anyone here that has learned Spanish through self-study and then gone on to pass the test. I would be interested to know if there is.
I'm not that confident hilarious But I do wonder as well Smile
If you're going to a foreign country to ve immersed in a language, definitely start with a base. If you know nothing when you arrive, your learning will be a lot slower and youll have difficulties with daily life. What sucks though is being an English teacher means you'll be speaking English 40+hrs per week and it'll be tough to learn the language
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
RS is terrible IMO. I tried their Korean one (a language I already speak enough to handle any day-to-day needs, and a bit more) and was completely lost, gained nothing from it (yes.. the horse drinks water, I got it...).
Yea, go with Pimsleur instead.
BrandeX Wrote:Yea, go with Pimsleur instead.

Thanks for the recommendation. I want to learn Portuguese, so may check this out.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Never heard of the P word thing! Gonna check it out. :hurray:
Don't forget you need to graduate first... <("<)
burbuja0512 Wrote:If you scroll down on the complaints, someone does mention that the Pimsleur approach is great. If you buy the product used on Amazon or eBay, you could avoid dealing directly with the company... just a thought.

Yeah, but how good is the actual program? That's what I want to find out.

BTW Why is it so expensive on Amazon.com?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have any DegreeForum alumni went on to teach in Japan? leland.kirk 9 3,279 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
Last Post: zzzz24
  TESU English Career Path? renaissancewoman87 14 4,777 08-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  Septmber Grads(TESU) Johmford 0 975 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  originalamyj Journey to BA in English from TESU originalamyj 40 7,116 03-31-2018, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Muldoon
Question TESU BA in English and History rachel83az 6 1,637 03-19-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: originalamyj
  TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? leland.kirk 38 8,324 03-05-2018, 05:09 PM
Last Post: leland.kirk
  Trying to grasp all of this. TESU - BA - English BSLIONS 8 1,804 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BA in English A La Shmoop lmckown 3 1,669 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
Last Post: originalamyj
  TESU- how do I get an English degree? Keshi 1 1,399 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - BALS or BA in ENGLISH? CarpeDiem8 14 5,248 12-30-2017, 08:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore