Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exams for English Composition I at Excelsior
Hello Everyone, do you know of any exams that would fullfil the English Composition I at Excelsior ? What about the CLEP English Composition Modular ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks
Anyone ? Thanks
Excelsior is a bit inscrutable as far as what transfers where. However, it appears that Sophia.org may be able to fulfil that requirement. That's only $79/mo. and you can take other classes there during that month that will then transfer to EC.

Most CLEP centers are closed or running on very limited hours right now so I wouldn't count on a CLEP.

If you want an actual exam, however, TESU has both English Composition I and II that will almost certainly transfer to EC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • pilot
maybe?
UExcel College Writing, and/or
UExcel English Composition
https://www.excelsior.edu/wp-content/upl..._Guide.pdf

I kept a copy of EC's credit by exam catalog from a couple of years ago. No guarantee that is current info. But on that catalog, CLEP composition exams were not included for meeting writing requirement in gen eds. The only exams listed in that catalog from a couple of years ago for writing requirement were the two UExcel that I listed. weird thing in that catalog is no mention is made of teceps, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't be used because they might be transferred as courses instead of "exams" when the paperwork is done. But that's a guess on my part.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 2 users Like P226mem's post:
  • pilot, rachel83az
UEXCEL don't offer English Composition I and English Composition II exam, instead of that, the just offer the "English Composition" exam that is a 6 credits exam and looks like it is a combination of English Composition I & II.

Instead of the usuall $110 per UEXCEL exams, English Composition is $470.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/english-composition/

I see no reason to take this course with them, Sophia English Composition I & II will fil the EC English Composition requeriments.

In the other hand, if you are international student, by doing this course you are proving your english proficiency to EC, so you don't need to send them the TOEFL.

TOEFL is about $300 and gives you no credit, so spending $470 for both credits and proficiency is a good business i think; but i don't know if this is your goal.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cecilgambe7's post:
  • pilot
Excelsior does not accept CLEP for English.
You can take BOTH Study's English 1 AND English 2 to fulfill the English 1 requirement at Excelsior
Both Sophia's English Comps fulfill both requirements at Excelsior
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 2 users Like TwinMom's post:
  • Kab, pilot
Thank you very much! That's useful information
Which one would you recommend for English I?
Faster or easier ?
Thanks so much
As a side note, some useful information for whomever might need it:
I was told that the DSST advanced English would fullfil English Comp II at excelsior . And it's all multiple choice 62 questions or so .

(08-19-2020, 08:34 AM)cecilgambe7 Wrote: UEXCEL don't offer English Composition I and English Composition II exam, instead of that, the just offer the "English Composition" exam that is a 6 credits exam and looks like it is a combination of English Composition I & II.

Instead of the usuall $110 per UEXCEL exams, English Composition is $470.

https://www.excelsior.edu/exam/english-composition/

I see no reason to take this course with them, Sophia English Composition I & II will fil the EC English Composition requeriments.

In the other hand, if you are international student, by doing this course you are proving your english proficiency to EC, so you don't need to send them the TOEFL.

TOEFL is about $300 and gives you no credit, so spending $470 for both credits and proficiency is a good business i think; but i don't know if this is your goal.
Thank you ! Great info !
You are right ! Pretty expensive and probably not the best overall option ! Unless you are an international student
I would use Sophia courses. I wouldnt go for Uexcel unless you feel really confident in your English skills on many levels
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • pilot
(08-19-2020, 02:16 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: I would use Sophia courses. I wouldnt go for Uexcel unless you feel really confident in your English skills on many levels
Great ! Thanks for the advice !
Did you take it ?
Was it hard ? Easy ?
Can you provide some input?
Many thanks
My son used Straighterline for the English requirement at Excelsior. He didn't find the course difficult. He liked how it started with the basics and worked up to college level papers.
Darryl
BS, Liberal Arts, Excelsior College
AAS, Automotive Technology, Eastern Idaho Technical College
AAS, Aircraft Armament Systems, Community College of the Air Force
[-] The following 1 user Likes dhillbilly's post:
  • pilot

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 529 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 1,016 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,731 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,774 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,401 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,371 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,143 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,843 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this
  Finally Graduating from Excelsior University new2this 4 1,308 04-29-2023, 12:46 AM
  English Comp Excelsior Sophia joer 17 5,371 04-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az