Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coopersmith-Therapeutic Interviewing
I meant to post this earlier:

A year ago my twins applied to Excelsior College and were accepted (but didn't enroll). 

They had taken Coopersmith Therapeutic Interviewing thinking it would be an UL Arts & Sciences. 2 people that I have spoken to directly had it accepted as such and one just a month prior to mine sending in their transcripts.  However, both of mine and at least one other person (a friend that had applied about the same time as mine) were told it was definitely NOT and A&S and applied it as an Applied Professional credit.

We didn't argue it since mine didn't enroll but, obviously, it depends on the advisor.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

It depends on who told them it was UL. If it was an advisor, well they are often wrong. They aren't the ones who determine how courses transfer. The Registrar Office is usually the one who makes these determinations. Things also change and can vary based on which degree program is involved as well.
I also was told that this was accepted as an UL A&S course, but I thought it was super weird. It doesn't SEEM like an UL A&S course at all. But it's good to always check prior to taking the course before paying to take it.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
A lot will depend on if they see it as psychology or human services. Psych is liberal arts; human services is not, it's considered paraprofessional.

At TESU, I had a bunch of Human Services courses I was transferring that were cross-listed as psychology by my school. I was able to appeal and get those accepted as within my AoS. But therapeutic interviewing might be a stretch. If the actual coursework has enough psychology in it, you might be able to make a credible apeal.
(10-02-2022, 06:51 PM)studyingfortests Wrote: A lot will depend on if they see it as psychology or human services.  Psych is liberal arts; human services is not, it's considered paraprofessional.

At TESU, I had a bunch of Human Services courses I was transferring that were cross-listed as psychology by my school. I was able to appeal and get those accepted as within my AoS. But therapeutic interviewing might be a stretch. If the actual coursework has enough psychology in it, you might be able to make a credible apeal.

Some other things they look at are if a course is theory vs. practical/applied.  This seems like applied, not theory, so it would not be an A&S course.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I believe it transferred for me under social sciences UL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPA Reqs and Coopersmith/Study.com Sunnydaze 12 2,200 03-11-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: lonelySamurai
  Coopersmith and Excelsior BBryant165 5 3,622 01-29-2021, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Michelle779
  EC UL: coopersmith and Genesis TorsMama 13 2,718 07-12-2020, 01:53 PM
Last Post: TorsMama