Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior College Masters of Science in Criminal Justice
Just starting to explore this degree possibility (as a favor for my husband). Excelsior's website says up to 15 credits can be transferred in. Are there any exams that would count for any of the required classes? How about training received on-the-job? TIA
I haven't seen any ACE or NCCRS-approved criminal justice courses/tests at the graduate level. I don't know if Excelsior allows for graduate-level PLAs. Police and corrections training is usually considered undergraduate-level. But, you should pay attention to this and ask for clarification.

Quote:Excelsior accepts up to 15 transfer credits—half of the 30 credits required for graduation—from criminal justice programs at other accredited colleges.

It is possible that they will still accept ACE or similar credits (if you can find them), but you should verify just to be sure. If he can find cheaper criminal justice courses at another school, then he should just complete his whole degree at that school. I don't see how Excelsior offers an advantage for this type of program. They charge $620 per credit hour. That is expensive.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Are you planning to obtain this degree or your husband? If you live in NY John Jay has multiple Master's Degrees. They have a CJ Master's that is cheaper than Excelsior and they offer it online as well.
Seton Hall University - MA HRTD
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA GM in progress
Thomas Edison State College - BA CJ
Thomas Edison State College - AAS ESST
Middlesex County College - AS CJ

NJ PTC
New Jersey Regional Community Police Institute
Methods of Instruction

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber Security for Business Professionals

Sophia
Accounting
My husband would be seeking the degree.
Not in NY, but online is good - will add John Jay to the list to research. Do they accept OJT? That was one reason I gravitated toward Excelsior first (not sure if they accept that for Masters, but I am looking into it).

Husband has more than just typical training. He has Certified Crime Scene Investigator, Certified Latent Print Examiner and Advanced Photography training.
That's vocational training that is the type that might count for credit for an associates degree or lower level credit for a bachelors degree. Training that might be graduate-level would be in advanced research methods, management, and leadership, for example. A graduate program in CJ and pretty much any of the social sciences will be focused on theory, research, leading organizations, and problem-solving rather than teaching a vocational skill. The only type of applied training one might see in one of these programs is counseling or intelligence analysis.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
You may want to look in to schools in your area. In Ohio, the OACP put on a few different executive level training courses PELC and CLEE which were worth graduate credit at local schools. To enroll, you have to be an Ohio LEO, at Sgt or above. While this training was not ACE evaluated they had negotiated with local schools to grant credit for the courses. My old LT. was going through both and he said it was brutal, and he already had his Masters and taught CJ courses at several schools. You may have something similar in your jurisdiction.
AAS in Environmental Safety & Security Technologies from TESC - Completed 2014
and BA Emergency & Disaster Mgmt at American Military University with a minor in Security Management - Completed

Completed:
FEMA: 20 credit hours, B&M: 33 credit hours, AARTS: 14 credit hours, certifications
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpret. Literature CLEP - 66, English Composition Modular CLEP - 58, American Government CLEP - 58, Social Sciences & History CLEP - 63
DSST: Intro to Computing DSST - 452
Straighterline: Business Ethics (88%), Criminal Justice (94%), World Religions (93%), Cultural Anthropology (92%), Intro to Sociology (94%)
TECEP: CIS 107, ENGL 102, PSY 270, BIO 208
Thank you all for your input - much appreciated!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 110 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 494 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 199 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 266 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,098 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,974 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 358 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,629 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 521 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas