Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior - Health Insurance?
I'm trying to stay on my dad's insurance plan, but since I'm over 18 I have to be a "full-time student" to be considered 'dependent'. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does enrolling in Excelsior count as a "full-time student"? I'm sure each insurance plan/company has their own policy, I'm just trying to get a feel of the 'normal' attitude insurance companies have towards Distance Learning.
[SIZE="1"]-Daniel

-------Degree Info---------
BS in Liberal Studies from Excelsior
AARTS - 30 ll
CLEP - 51 ll
DSST - 9 ul
ECE - 15 ul
ECE - 6 ll
ACTFL OPI - 3 ll
Total LL: 90 out of 90
Total UL: 24 out of 30 (6 left)
Grand Total: 114 out of 120 (6 left)

-------Next Up!-----------
2 UL ECE
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Ani Yehudi![/SIZE]
Since Excelsior is a legit school you should have no problems. To further enhance the status they are also title IV approved. In order to claim full time status you should fill out a study plan w/ EC indicating your schedule. Say for example you plan on taking 2 DSST's, one Clep, and one EC class for a total of 12 units. I don't think you can just go as you please but if you file a plan you should be covered.
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
hmm.. i hope you're right. If not, I might find myself paying an extra $500 :eek: a month for health insurance...
[SIZE="1"]-Daniel

AARTS - 30 ll
CLEP - 51 ll
DSST - 9 ul
ECE - 15 ul
ECE - 6 ll
ACTFL OPI - 3 ll

2 UL ECE
[/SIZE]

Excelsior is a legit school, but I would assume you would have to be signed up with 12 units at Excelsior. I had to do the same thing for my son, as he is a full time student at the local university. My provider (Kaiser) needed a signed form from the local school confirming he is a full time student. If you are going to Excelsior and taking clep exams, I don't think that would qualify as full time. You would need to get with admissions.
I think as long as you (register with the admissions office- your intent to take a certain number of units) and then take them you will be ok. 12 units is 12 units anyway you slice it. If this is the case what can your insurance say? Unless there's an exclusion or a rider (seriously doubt) that says you have to be at a traditional school enrolled in traditional classes this doesn't apply? Most schools just say enrolled or "attempt" 9-12 units.

Otherwise... unless you need $500 a month insurance you can get decent insurance for about $100- especially at your age.
The best things in life aren't things.
~Brandon
I don't think there is any exclusion that differentiates between a traditional school and distance learning. However, what do you mean by
Quote:Most schools just say enrolled or "attempt" 9-12 units.
do you mean i need to 'sign up' for 12 credits from excelsior? Or do you think if I only have to show that i plan on taking 12 credits from anyone (ie. CLEP, DANTES, etc..)
[SIZE="1"]-Daniel

AARTS - 30 ll
CLEP - 51 ll
DSST - 9 ul
ECE - 15 ul
ECE - 6 ll
ACTFL OPI - 3 ll

2 UL ECE
[/SIZE]

I think you will have to be an actual student taking 12 credits at excelsior to qualify to keep the health care.
AAT, Electromechanics, Excelsior College 2007
BS, Political Science, Excelsior College 2008
MSSL, Strategic Leadership, Mountain State (currently enrolled) 2009
I can tell you how this worked for my kids it should be similiar for you. You should have your father get the requirements that his company requires for you to be a fulltime student for health insurance (some companies 9 credits, some 12, etc). There is then a form filled in by the college (some times a letter works sometimes HR provides you with a form to give to the college)and sent to the insurance company by the college directly, proving you are a fulltime student or I have also had to have the college fax the form to an HR department directly and then they got the fulltime student status set by the insurance company. You should be able to talk to EC as well.
Judy -
AS - Computer Science - Andover college
BS - Mgmt Information Systems -June 08
MS - Info Systems Mgmt - Start Aug 08 - UMBC

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior HR Degree Progress glgamerica 6 1,821 07-31-2018, 10:44 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior: ALEKS Beginning Algebra duplicates ... bluebooger 13 3,158 07-26-2018, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Exfactor
  Excelsior College 47th Annual Commencement - 12 Year Old Graduate Life Long Learning 16 4,908 07-26-2018, 01:11 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 1 1,277 07-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hsfamfun
  Excelsior homeschoolmom1 0 956 07-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Last Post: homeschoolmom1
  Excelsior annual fees homeschoolmom1 1 1,255 07-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
Photo Shmoop Excelsior Evaluations In ReyMysterioso 0 1,768 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Excelsior College awarded 245K for Advanced Nuclear Project Life Long Learning 1 1,214 06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Excelsior College ranked #1 Life Long Learning 11 3,381 06-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Last Post: miah
  Quick Question about Excelsior hsfamfun 5 1,850 06-21-2018, 03:05 PM
Last Post: radconjohn