Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Literacy Instruction in the Elementary School
I will be taking this exam soon too. There seem to be alot of people who are going to take the test, but not many that have already. Any info from anyone who has taken the test would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, also does anyone know of an alternative to the ridiculously priced practice tests? Aren't they like $60? I cannot afford that much for a practice test.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
I have mine scheduled for April 23rd. I have One of the recommended text and 3 other literacy text a friend lent me. I paid the $65 for the practice exams. They are just 2 100 question practice test from what I understand, I will take the first one tomorrow. I have also bought or have all the recommended children's books in the chapter books recommended. I do not have or know most of the illustrated/photo books recommended, I may look for them at the library tomorrow. I just feel so unprepared when I don't have lots of people to tell me what to expect. This exam is important to my finishing my degree on time.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Lindagerr Wrote:I have mine scheduled for April 23rd. I have One of the recommended text and 3 other literacy text a friend lent me. I paid the $65 for the practice exams. They are just 2 100 question practice test from what I understand, I will take the first one tomorrow. I have also bought or have all the recommended children's books in the chapter books recommended. I do not have or know most of the illustrated/photo books recommended, I may look for them at the library tomorrow. I just feel so unprepared when I don't have lots of people to tell me what to expect. This exam is important to my finishing my degree on time.

I haven't decided exactly when I'm going to take it yet. I am also going to take the pscychology ECEs and World Pop. so I might do those first just so I know what an ECE is like. Please let me know what you think about it after you take it. For every other exam, I depend sooo much on specific exam feedback. I know I owe alot of points to instacert. I don't know what I'm going to do without it. :willynilly:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]B.A. in Psychology from TESC in 9 months
My degree plan: http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...elp-2.html
In addition to the info I posted previous ( see posting 9) I would also recommend obtaining a copy of the exam content guide pdf for this exam, it is free and can be found on the Excelsior website.

It has a content outline and 30 sample questions and rationales for each of the choices for each sample question. It is an invaluable resource.
I am using the content guide to help me know what to study. I took the first practice exam today and got a 58%. How did you take them over?

The practice exam was just 100 multiple choice, is the real thing the same? I thought I read somewhere that the exam had short essay questions.

I went to the library today and got the rest of the chapter books and some of the illustrated books. I can't find some of the illustrated books, I just hope they are not important ones. I think the practice test was worth it for me to get a better idea of what I need more study in.

Peace are/were you a TESC student? Excelsior recommends 6 upper level credits for this exam, but at this point TESC has it down as 6 lower level credits.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Lindagerr Wrote:I am using the content guide to help me know what to study. I took the first practice exam today and got a 58%. How did you take them over?

The practice exam was just 100 multiple choice, is the real thing the same? I thought I read somewhere that the exam had short essay questions.

Peace are/were you a TESC student? Excelsior recommends 6 upper level credits for this exam, but at this point TESC has it down as 6 lower level credits.

Linda,
I attended Excelsior, so it was 6 upper level credits for me.

Regarding the books, you just need a general idea of what the theme of the books are, there is a question on the sample test of the content guide that indicates how they ask about the books. I think my exam had less then 10 questions on the books, but every point counts. If you learn the material in the practice exams, and the vocabulary in the links I posted, I am sure you will do fine on the exam.

For the practice exams, after I took both of them on the website, I then copied the data into MS Word, and recorded what the answers were in an excel spreadsheet. Then I removed the graphics that indicated which answer was correct. I then printed them out and just kept testing myself from the paper copies. It takes time to do this but it was worth it to me.

If I recall correctly the real exam is just m/c, but it has more then 100 questions. I did not have to write any essays for the exam.

Peace
I took this exam yesterday literally on a whim. It was 7:45 a.m. testing started at 8 and I just walked in and signed up. I think I did enough to pass although I won't use the credits unless it's a B or higher.

The test was 130 questions all multiple choice.

Make sure you know what an emergent learner is. There were at least 8 questions related to that.

Know the different cues that readers use such as syntactic cues, semantic cues, and grapophonic cues. Be able to look at the way a student interprets information and pick which cue they used.

Know what a basal reader is.

Know what reading recovery is.

Phonemic, phonetic, know the difference.

Be familiar with constructivism theory.

I just found this http://ted.coe.wayne.edu/reading/devrdgI.pdf As I was looking though it I saw so much of the test.

That's about all I can remember but with minimal preparation it's an easy test. I'll edit my response when my grades come.

21Apr10*** I got my grades back yesterday and I passed with a C! I'm very happy with this grade considering I literally sat this test on a 15 minute whim! Ummmm, I think I may go ahead and take the blow to my GPA and not pass up the 6 semester hours.
Isn't this a computerized test? Do I need to sharpen some pencils? How long does it take to get a grade? I hate waiting.

Thanks for the link.
Linda

Lindagerr Wrote:Isn't this a computerized test? Do I need to sharpen some pencils? How long does it take to get a grade? I hate waiting.

Thanks for the link.

Mine was computerized.
I took and passed Literacy Instruction today. I am so happy to have this one over.

I felt the $65 for the two practice test was a lot of money, but I guess they were worth it. After I took the first practice test I looked at what sections I got the most wrong in and I used that to study I still got my lowest % in the Emergent Literacy/Beginning Reading area, but it was enough to earn me an A.

Knowing what teaching methods are recommended for what skills is really important. I would also recommend that you read all the chapter books recommended and at least be slightly familiar with the other childrens books.

I only ordered the Guided reading textbook by Fountas. I did borrow a text by Tompkins, but not the recommended one. I also downloaded the links recommended here.

That is all I can remember now.
Linda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior is retiring UExcel exams! This month! dfrecore 24 5,790 03-17-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information Excelsior College will no longer offer UExcel examinations after August 21, 2022 nomaduser 2 359 11-06-2023, 02:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  DSST can't insert school code when remote proctoring. Carnation 1 202 11-01-2023, 10:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior College Writing Cmglaser08 14 1,553 04-19-2022, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Social Psychology course-Excelsior Cmglaser08 0 719 07-15-2021, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Cmglaser08
  Excelsior college writing Cmglaser08 1 820 07-15-2021, 12:56 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  How similar are the UExcel ECE Excelsior practice exams compared to the final? amberwalk 2 1,183 08-21-2020, 09:39 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Excelsior Uexcel Microbiology Cheeseburrito 5 2,774 03-02-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: cookderosa