Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Management Information Systems Degree
Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forums for the last few months and as a result of all the great advice from everyone I've been able to amass 62 credits towards my degree since the beginning of May. Now that I'm halfway there I want to start focusing on some of the required technology courses and wanted to see if anyone had any workarounds to taking the following courses.

Business Programming Course

Database Management

Data Communications or Telecommunications or Networking

Systems Analysis and Design

I've heard of the ICCP test but I hear that they are difficult to prepare for because of a lack of material concerning those exams. Is there anyway to speed up the process for these courses or am I going to have to take them all online? Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm interested in this same question.
I'm considering heading down the BMI path as well.
I already have a programming language, and I see that TECEP has an exam for Database Management (though not 100% sure it is applicable).

I'll be looking at these requirements more seriously in the coming weeks, will update anything I find here...
gsz11 Wrote:Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forums for the last few months and as a result of all the great advice from everyone I've been able to amass 62 credits towards my degree since the beginning of May. Now that I'm halfway there I want to start focusing on some of the required technology courses and wanted to see if anyone had any workarounds to taking the following courses.

Business Programming Course

Database Management

Data Communications or Telecommunications or Networking

Systems Analysis and Design

I've heard of the ICCP test but I hear that they are difficult to prepare for because of a lack of material concerning those exams. Is there anyway to speed up the process for these courses or am I going to have to take them all online? Thanks in advance for your help.
Hi gsz,

I forwarded your post to a friend of mine who recently earned a degree in MIS from Excelsior, and he was nice enough to take the time to provide all of the following information:

I used ICCP exams to satisfy the required subjects of the MIS concentration at Excelsior. The following are the steps I used to pass the ICCP exams.

1) Purchase "ICCP's Complete Guide to Professional Computing". This will provide a DETAILED outline for each exam and can be purchased on CD for $55 + shipping. You don't need the printed version. It also has some sample questions.

2) Excelsior Requirement "Business Programming Language". I took the ICCP 'C' language exam. All ICCP exams are pretty tough and this one is very tough. I know 'C' fairly well, so I studied lightly for one week and barely passed with a 73%. Anything below 70% is a fail on any ICCP exam.

3) Excelsior Requirement "Data Communications". I took the ICCP Communications exam. I work in the telecommunications industry and knew about 1/3 of the information. I purchased the following:

a) 3rd edition of "Voice and Data Communications Handbook" by Regis Bates and Donald Gregory.
b) Practice exam from ICCP.
c) Q & A Drill - Data Communications from Bird Publications
d) Data Communications Computer Based Training from Bird Publications

I studied very hard for 2 weeks and passed with a 75%.

4) Excelsior Requirement "Database Management". I took the ICCP Data Administration exam. I have been working with databases for many years and knew about 1/2 of the information. I purchased the following:

a) 7th edition of "Modern Database Management" by Hoffer, Prescott & McFadden.
b) Q & A Drill - Data Resource Management from Bird Publications
c) Data Resource Management Computer Based Training from Bird Publications

I studied very hard for 2 weeks and passed with a 80%.

5) Excelsior Requirement "Systems Analysis and Design". I took the ICCP Systems Development exam. I have been developing software for many years and knew about 2/3 of the information. I purchased the following:

a) 3rd edition of "Modern Systems Analysis & Design" by Hoffer, George & Valacich.
b) Practice exam from ICCP.
c) Q & A Drill - Systems Development from Bird Publications
d) Systems Development Computer Based Training from Bird Publications

I studied very hard for 2 weeks and passed with a 84%.

The three books purchased above were very helpful. The two Hoffer books had online chapter tests that were quite helpful. The Bird Publications materials are very outdated (1980s) and NOT a good value, but they are the only study materials available for ICCP exams. I would be happy to sell my Bird materials at a fraction of what I paid.

I hope this helps!

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
That was very considerate and helpful of you and your friend to take the time and write those tips out. I think I made the correct choice in shifting from the MIS to General Business degree!Big Grin
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Kiwi thanks for the excellent reply. For now it seems like i'll keep knocking out Gen Ed and business courses while I decide if I'll stay in the MIS or switch over.
Kiwi,

Thanks too you and your friend for the great information. I've recently had a career path change and it appears that at the moment this may be a second degree for me (need to finish the first one). I was hoping to find some information about the MIS degree and you have provided it, thanks again.... Smile
[SIZE="2"]WORKING TOWARDS B.S. OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE FROM EXCELSIOR COLLEGE.[/SIZE]
UPDATED 1/13
COMPLETED 113.33 HRS.
NEED 14.67
[COLOR="Green"]RECENTLY TAKEN TEST: RISE & FALL - 12/12 - 46 (OUCH!)
NEXT TESTS: World Conflicts, Juvenile Delinquency, Ethics, College Writing
LAST TRADITIONAL CLASS: Social Science Research
[/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"]
CLEP/DSST - 51 HRS
TRADITIONAL - 53
MILITARY - 9
[/COLOR]
Straydog Wrote:Kiwi,

Thanks too you and your friend for the great information. I've recently had a career path change and it appears that at the moment this may be a second degree for me (need to finish the first one). I was hoping to find some information about the MIS degree and you have provided it, thanks again.... Smile

Actually, y'all need to be thanking "yutzyj" (Dawn) or at least her husband anyway! I saw the post, passed it onto Dawn to see if her hubby could help, and he was kind enough to type up that info. I just copied & pasted it into the forum! :p

I'm glad it's been so helpful to people.

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Hi gsz,

I forwarded your post to a friend of mine who recently earned a degree in MIS from Excelsior, and he was nice enough to take the time to provide all of the following information:

I used ICCP exams to satisfy the required subjects of the MIS concentration at Excelsior.
2) Excelsior Requirement "Business Programming Language". I took the ICCP 'C' language exam.

3) Excelsior Requirement "Data Communications". I took the ICCP Communications exam.

4) Excelsior Requirement "Database Management". I took the ICCP Data Administration exam.

5) Excelsior Requirement "Systems Analysis and Design". I took the ICCP Systems Development exam.

I had read on another forum that the IT Core exam thru ICCP was awarded multiple credits and would satisfy multiple concentration requirements. I asked my advisor to confirm that this test would still satify multiple requirments. I was interested in only a few of the requirments. Two of them being the Database Management and System Analysis and Design.

Here is her respone:
Quote:Our faculty has reviewed the ICCP: IT Core exam, and you would receive the following:

2 lower level credits in Introduction to System Analysis - satisfies the System Analysis and Design requirement
2 lower level credits in Introduction to Database Management - satisfies the Database Management requirement

The rest of the credits from the ICCP: IT Core exam would duplicate credit on your Status Report, or be excess business credits. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Sandy Perretta
cbrchris Wrote:I had read on another forum that the IT Core exam thru ICCP was awarded multiple credits and would satisfy multiple concentration requirements. I asked my advisor to confirm that this test would still satify multiple requirments. I was interested in only a few of the requirments. Two of them being the Database Management and System Analysis and Design.

Here is her respone:

This is very cool, you only need 50% to pass the IT Core Exam

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,897 7 hours ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 706 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 2,592 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 296 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 680 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 1,083 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 603 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 536 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 293 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain