Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Excelsior Upper Level Credits
(03-26-2020, 12:49 PM)Life Long Learning Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 10:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's hard to imagine that you only need 9cr of UL in the major, that doesn't match anything else anyone does.  I swear, their requirements get harder to figure out every year!

No one expects a "Liberal Arts" degree to know anything... let's be real! Big Grin  It's a fancy general studies degree. Wink

I wasn't meaning that, but more matching what other schools do.  I've seen as low as 15cr UL at TESU for the BSBA, up through 45cr of UL for some schools.  Lots of our state schools require a LOT of UL credit.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Life Long Learning
TwinMom, it depends if the student is working towards a BA or BS in Liberal Arts.  There are just slight differences...
For BA Liberal Arts: Review Catalog Page 38, it'll show distribution basics and extra details on page 39.
For BS Liberal Arts: Review Catalog Page 130, it'll show distribution requirements and extra details on Page 131-133.

BA/BS: 12 credits are required in two different arts and sciences distribution areas and 9 credits in the third distribution area
At least 30 of the degree credits must be at the upper level, 21 of which must be in the Arts and Sciences. Degree depths in two different disciplines are required, ensuring exposure to a variety of subject areas and allowing students to explore thematic areas of study that connect disciplines in a meaningful way.

As per below, you will need at least 21 credits Upper Level in any arts & science, and 9 credits in an additional arts & science OR if you prefer, business or some other professional studies subject area - Let's grab this random evaluation and review again but picture it differently by resetting the top portion, this will show you what amount is required and where, i'll reset the depths too: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=3043

ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Arts and Sciences Lower Level 39.0
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 21.0
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 60.0

APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Any Academic Area Lower Level 51.0
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0

TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 60.0

Depth Requirement in the Arts and Sciences (Depth 1)*** Needed
Upper Level Depth 1 3.0
Lower Level Depth 1 9.0
Depth 1 Minimum GPA (2.0) Not Met

Depth Requirement in Any Academic Area (Depth 2)*** Needed
Upper Level Depth 2 3.0
Lower Level Depth 2 9.0
Depth 2 Minimum GPA (2.0) Not Met

So, using your example of depth 1 using the TEEX Death Investigation course as the UL requirement for AOJ (yes, it's an arts course), they can take the remaining TEEX courses to round out the first depth.  In depth 2, they can take the Study.com History courses to complete that requirement (and yes, I did recommend this to an Excelsior student this month! so it's really recent).  

What I highly recommend people to do is to get their General Education requirements done first, then work on the depth, lastly work on the remaining requirements (see screenshot again).  They have basically 60 credits in professional studies (business or IT, whatever floats their boat)  Just make sure the 21 UL Arts & Science course are done, you're golden.

Last but not least, if your kinds have taken any StraighterLine or Study.com courses, you can apply to Brandman, Excelsior, WGU and a whole slew of other schools for free.  Since Excelsior is part of the group that gets discounts, you can just apply and get an evaluation!  That is one of the main reasons I tell people to use SL/Study.com/Sophia, because of discounts on fees or tuition!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • TwinMom
(03-26-2020, 04:06 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: TwinMom, it depends if the student is working towards a BA or BS in Liberal Arts.  There are just slight differences...
For BA Liberal Arts: Review Catalog Page 38, it'll show distribution basics and extra details on page 39.
For BS Liberal Arts: Review Catalog Page 130, it'll show distribution requirements and extra details on Page 131-133.

BA/BS: 12 credits are required in two different arts and sciences distribution areas and 9 credits in the third distribution area
At least 30 of the degree credits must be at the upper level, 21 of which must be in the Arts and Sciences. Degree depths in two different disciplines are required, ensuring exposure to a variety of subject areas and allowing students to explore thematic areas of study that connect disciplines in a meaningful way.

As per below, you will need at least 21 credits Upper Level in any arts & science, and 9 credits in an additional arts & science OR if you prefer, business or some other professional studies subject area - Let's grab this random evaluation and review again but picture it differently by resetting the top portion, this will show you what amount is required and where, i'll reset the depths too: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=3043

ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Arts and Sciences Lower Level 39.0
Arts and Sciences Upper Level 21.0
TOTAL ARTS AND SCIENCES REMAINING 60.0

APPLIED PROFESSIONAL or ADDITIONAL ARTS AND SCIENCES Needed
Any Academic Area Lower Level 51.0
Any Academic Area Upper Level 9.0

TOTAL IN ANY ACADEMIC AREA REMAINING 60.0

Depth Requirement in the Arts and Sciences (Depth 1)*** Needed
Upper Level Depth 1 3.0
Lower Level Depth 1 9.0
Depth 1 Minimum GPA (2.0) Not Met

Depth Requirement in Any Academic Area (Depth 2)*** Needed
Upper Level Depth 2 3.0
Lower Level Depth 2 9.0
Depth 2 Minimum GPA (2.0) Not Met

So, using your example of depth 1 using the TEEX Death Investigation course as the UL requirement for AOJ (yes, it's an arts course), they can take the remaining TEEX courses to round out the first depth.  In depth 2, they can take the Study.com History courses to complete that requirement (and yes, I did recommend this to an Excelsior student this month! so it's really recent).  

What I highly recommend people to do is to get their General Education requirements done first, then work on the depth, lastly work on the remaining requirements (see screenshot again).  They have basically 60 credits in professional studies (business or IT, whatever floats their boat)  Just make sure the 21 UL Arts & Science course are done, you're golden.

Last but not least, if your kinds have taken any StraighterLine or Study.com courses, you can apply to Brandman, Excelsior, WGU and a whole slew of other schools for free.  Since Excelsior is part of the group that gets discounts, you can just apply and get an evaluation!  That is one of the main reasons I tell people to use SL/Study.com/Sophia, because of discounts on fees or tuition!

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!!
It's good to know the TEEX courses will work!
TESU is now out completely for us (since they ended their Sophia partnership) so Excelsior is still very tempting if I could be sure of the transferability of certain courses.  Mine have 36 cr currently (39 by next Friday) so we are narrowing in on finishing up all of the gen eds. I'll continue on with what we can with the free Sophia classes and reevaluate from there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Homeschool College Guidance Counselor Mom to twin 18 yo boys

CsmLearn
Study: US History, Pres Skills, Enviro Sci, Ethics America, Intro CJ, Meteorology, Forensic Sci, Criminology
Sophia: Psych, Visual Comms, Sociology, Eff Teams, Mng Conflict,  Anc Greek, Art History 1, Intro to IT,
Intro to Bus, Engl Comp 1&2, Religion, Conflict Reso, College Algebra, US History 2
TEEX: Death Invest
Coopersmith: Stress Mgmt, Therapeutic, Drugs & Society, Sport & Exercise, Psych of Motivation, Pos Psych, Career Coun
Community College: Comp Info Syst, A+ Hardware, A+ Op Syst, Linux Op Syst, Networks, Switching & Routing, Networking, IT Security
Computer Certs: Comp Tia A+

Planning for (2) Bachelors: BSLS 

[-] The following 1 user Likes TwinMom's post:
  • harrypotter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 408 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 511 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 938 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,585 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,647 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,318 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,338 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,077 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,738 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this