Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring post-BA options
Hi.  I'm graduating with my BALS in March.  Thank you all for providing the information and companionship through this process!  Moving forward, my budget will be extremely tight for several years (2 kids entering college).  That has lead me to consider the UOPeople MBA.  However, the name is a turn off.  I applied to Smart.ly but they keep rejecting (too old?). MOOCs could be a good way to explore areas.  For example, in one year I could complete the University of Maryland MBA micromasters (or simply audit for free).  Psychology is an interest but the current masters programs are way too expensive (and UNISA seems unfathomable).  Again, MOOCs could be a good way to explore (start with undergrad psychology and work up from there).  The ultimate study program for me would combine Psych and Spirituality.  I also could tighten up my IT skills but certifications seem more cost effective (and are paid for at my job).  A little more background:
Career: IT Security Officer for the state - good job/pay but open to eventually shifting into another IT area or business function.
Reason for considering a masters: pursue interests, resume fodder and may improve knowledge for current or future work.
Interests (in order): psychology (possibly organizational), leadership, IT/Security, business, MPA, religion/spirituality.
Personal Challenges: I really struggled with the TESU capstone.  Business writing isn't too bad for me.  However, the repetition/blockiness of the capstone really irritated me - to the point of just turning in what I had and getting a 77 <-This means a, "2.0", college GPA (despite prior college being more like a 3.2).  If future writing is this frustrating, that could be a problem.

Sorry if this reads as talking out loud.  I'm busy till March but would love to get excited about more learning.  Thank you in advance for your feedback,
JB
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • Life_One
What is your budget?
Only 3k at this time (spread out over 2 years). Things could change down the road.
MTS at Nations U. However, I am not sure how good that is for career advancement.

Career-wise I feel like the best is an IT management degree.

Would you have a job that pays part or all of your tuition later?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • jb111
Unfortunately there is no tuition reimbursement at my state agency. They only pay for some training and certifications. I am very strong in the IT security certification area. Wondering if there is a degree program that will accept them for classes
1) Are your kids self-sufficient? Can your college kids get started with CLEPS/MS and other cheap alternative credit?
2) I don't have reimbursement either, so I would start with the IT certs and go with WGU Masters programs
3) A similar competency program to WGU would be Brandman University's MAOL (Organizational Leadership)
4) If you're not in the USA, then an NA degree is fine, if you're in the US, then I highly recommend RA degrees
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jb111
With that budget, probably save toward a competency program like NAU's MCIT, if you think you could the competency degree in 6 months or less. And before then studying so that you can get through the Masters quicker. Maybe some certs/training that are reimbursed and free MOOCs.

• jb111
(01-06-2019, 02:31 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: 1) Are your kids self-sufficient? Can your college kids get started with CLEPS/MS and other cheap alternative credit?  
Tried with my book smart kid for 2 years - did not work out.  She just started university (matriculated) so no CLEPs allowed.  On the bright side, she got a lot of aid.  My son who graduates next year on the other hand...
2) I don't have reimbursement either, so I would start with the IT certs and go with WGU Masters programs
I applied since it's free at the moment.  Here is the criteria I will have met by April 1: Option 2: Possess any bachelor's degree from a regionally or nationally accredited university AND hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, CCNA Security, CEH, CHFI, GIAC 2700 or GCWN certification that is valid and earned within the last five years.  I't's not listed but I'll ask if Commonwealth of Virginia employees get a discount.
3) A similar competency program to WGU would be Brandman University's MAOL (Organizational Leadership)
Looks pricey.  I was only an E-4 in the military.  Liberty is pretty good but I think Amberton would be a little cheaper. 
4) If you're not in the USA, then an NA degree is fine, if you're in the US, then I highly recommend RA degrees
I'm open to NA if the name is reasonable.

(01-06-2019, 03:33 PM)Ideas Wrote: With that budget, probably save toward a competency program like NAU's MCIT, if you think you could the competency degree in 6 months or less. And before then studying so that you can get through the Masters quicker. Maybe some certs/training that are reimbursed and free MOOCs.

Please let me know what NAU stands for.  I googled and found Northern Arizona University
WGU doesn't take any transfer credits for their MS degrees, except a couple of certs that prob aren't what you'd get - but it's better than nothing.

But, I guess my question is, why would you get a MA/MS now, when you haven't even seen what your BA/BS will do? I personally would wait - if my kids were in college, getting them through without debt would be my number 1 priority - THEN, you can always work on your own degree IF YOU FIND THAT YOU NEED IT. You may find that a BALS is all you need. Or you may find that you want to spend some time looking to see what you actually do need; a Master's just for the sake of one when you don't have a lot of money is kind of a waste in my opinion. It's something that for most of us is a luxury, and it can wait while you pay for the necessities.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jb111
Yes, Northern Arizona University. You do as much as you can in a 6 month term. https://pl.nau.edu/CIT-Masters.aspx

• jb111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 227 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 426 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 765 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  UT Austin post graduate cert Data Science and Business Analytics Pats20 4 1,388 01-12-2023, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,863 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,721 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,853 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,354 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader