Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAFSA & TESU
Apologies, I posted this in the wrong forum previously. 

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e2s1

I've used the FAFSA forecaster and I am just wondering how accurate these estimates are in general?

I'm going to complete the remainder of my classes with Study.com and Straighterline. Does TESU calculate your costs assuming you will take all of your classes with them? I would like to get the maximum amount available while still getting my credit via SDC and SL. I am an out of state student living off campus so I don't know how TESU or the government will factor in cost of living. 

I have never used FAFSA before so I am new to this process. I just want to understand what getting FAFSA is like while being a student of TESU. Will TESU work with you and make the estimated costs be based on the assumption that you will be taking 12 or more credit hours each semester through TESU or will they lower the estimated costs if they suspect you will complete you degree through alternative sources of credit?

BTW, I plugged in an estimated cost of $4K per semester at TESU and the estimator is showing an estimated amount of around $3K per semester.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
Tesu awards financial aid based on how many credits you take through TESU only(alt credits don't count towards this). You must take 6 credits per semester at tesu to qualify for full time status for that semester. It's not very economical unless you qualify for the max Pell Grant and take enough credits at tesu to utilize the comprehensive tuition plan.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(01-21-2019, 03:36 PM)AwardTour Wrote: Apologies, I posted this in the wrong forum previously. 

https://fafsa.ed.gov/FAFSA/app/f4cForm?execution=e2s1

I've used the FAFSA forecaster and I am just wondering how accurate these estimates are in general?

I'm going to complete the remainder of my classes with Study.com and Straighterline. Does TESU calculate your costs assuming you will take all of your classes with them? I would like to get the maximum amount available while still getting my credit via SDC and SL. I am an out of state student living off campus so I don't know how TESU or the government will factor in cost of living. 

I have never used FAFSA before so I am new to this process. I just want to understand what getting FAFSA is like while being a student of TESU. Will TESU work with you and make the estimated costs be based on the assumption that you will be taking 12 or more credit hours each semester through TESU or will they lower the estimated costs if they suspect you will complete you degree through alternative sources of credit?

BTW, I plugged in an estimated cost of $4K per semester at TESU and the estimator is showing an estimated amount of around $3K per semester.
Financial aid is disbursed in the middle of the semester, since it depends on how many courses you are taking at TESU.Courses taken outside of TESU (Straighterline,etc) do not factor into financial aid.TESU has fixed amounts for cost of attendance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nosey561's post:
  • AwardTour
FAFSA Financial aid at TESU is only 2 things- Pell Grant or loans. If you don't qualify for a Pell Grant (income based on your expected family contribution) you'll only be left with loans.
To take a loan or to use a Pell you have to actually take 15 credits per year minimum at rack rate tuition (they'll prorate this out because they have 4 quarters) but that's at the full price. Full time is 30 per year, so 15 is half, but I don't remember their formula for breaking it out into quarters- so you would need to know that, but anyway.... at $500/credit you're going to have to pay about $7500 to use financial aid AND stretch out a full year of classes.
When I did it, tuition was cheaper, so I did use a Pell and still only have a few thousand out of pocket- but at today's numbers, it's EXPENSIVE to use a Pell at TESU.
It's all in how you want to get your credits. If you're planning to use Studycom and Straighterline, you may find that the cost to take TESU classes is so high that it's easier to pay cash (or not - your call) but it for sure adds time as well.
(01-21-2019, 03:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: You must take 6 credits per semester at tesu to qualify for full time status for that semester. 

So, what I'm gathering is that the financial aid portion of this won't jive for those of us planning on taking the Capstone last and by itself,...and instead, if using aid, we have to combine Capstone with another course to satisfy the 6 credit minimum, such as the Cornerstone (SOS-110)?

Thanks!

D
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
(05-31-2019, 04:58 PM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote:
(01-21-2019, 03:38 PM)MNomadic Wrote: You must take 6 credits per semester at tesu to qualify for full time status for that semester. 

So, what I'm gathering is that the financial aid portion of this won't jive for those of us planning on taking the Capstone last and by itself,...and instead, if using aid, we have to combine Capstone with another course to satisfy the 6 credit minimum, such as the Cornerstone (SOS-110)?

Thanks!

D

I think that's correct.

Unfortunately, the Pell will only cover 1 course, the 2nd will be mostly out-of-pocket, and the residency waiver won't be covered at all.

For people using Pell or other aid, it may be better to go to COSC, or WGU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
TESU requires you take two courses in a term to be able to use the pell grant. So if you are only taking one course in a term you can't pell grant at TESU. That's what TESU told me over the phone, when I was applying and sent over all my financial aid stuff around November 2018.
Thanks, as always, dfrecore!

No, no Pell grant, just standard loan.

I will adjust my rough draft for those 16 credits of TESU courses I have to take!

Thanks!

D
Just wanted to add that email is pretty slow to get answers from the financial aid dept. I have emailed them 2x since May 29th (12 days ago) and have yet to receive a response. I hate calling, but I guess I will have to. Double-checked the email addy, finaid@tesu.edu, and it looks okay!   Dodgy
(01-21-2019, 09:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote: FAFSA Financial aid at TESU is only 2 things- Pell Grant or loans.  If you don't qualify for a Pell Grant (income based on your expected family contribution) you'll only be left with loans.  
To take a loan or to use a Pell you have to actually take 15 credits per year minimum at rack rate tuition (they'll prorate this out because they have 4 quarters)  but that's at the full price.  Full time is 30 per year, so 15 is half, but I don't remember their formula for breaking it out into quarters- so you would need to know that, but anyway.... at $500/credit you're going to have to pay about $7500 to use financial aid AND stretch out a full year of classes.
When I did it, tuition was cheaper, so I did use a Pell and still only have a few thousand out of pocket- but at today's numbers, it's EXPENSIVE to use a Pell at TESU.  
It's all in how you want to get your credits. If you're planning to use Studycom and Straighterline, you may find that the cost to take TESU classes is so high that it's easier to pay cash (or not - your call) but it for sure adds time as well.
Full-time is 24 credits per year or 12 credits per semester. If the school has non-traditional terms, then full-time is 12 credits per six months. TESU has 3-month terms, so they require students to take 6 credits per term to be considered full-time. 

Half-time is 12 credits per year or 6 credits per semester/six months.

It helps to know the difference between semesters, trimesters, quarters, and non-traditional terms. Semesters are around 16 weeks in the summer and fall. TESU has non-traditional terms that are similar to quarters, but they're not on the quarter hour system.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 696 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch