Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FCC - General Radiotelephone License, CREDIT?
Does any one know if EC or TESC will grant credit for an FCC General Radiotelephone License (GROL)?

OR

Has any one with this license received credit?

If so, what credits did you receive?

Thanks,
[SIZE="2"]In progress[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences & History CLEP[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Business Communication(DL)[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Intro to Progragramming(DL)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]Completed[/SIZE]

BRICK & MORTAR
[SIZE="1"]- (LCC) Database Management - A[/SIZE]

STRAIGHTERLINE
[SIZE="1"]- (FHSU) English Composition I - C :mad:
- (FHSU) Macroeconomics - A
- (FHSU) Microeconomics - A
- (FHSU) Accounting I - B
- (FHSU) Accounting II - A
- (FHSU) College Algebra - B (Missed an "A" by 1 point :mad: )

[/SIZE]
CLEP
[SIZE="1"]- Spanish Language - 74
- Information Systems and Computer Applications 57[/SIZE]

ALEKS
[SIZE="1"]- Beginning Algebra (87%)
- Intermediate Algebra (89%)
- College Algebra (70%)
- College Algebra w/Trig (71%)
- Trigonometry (76%)
- Pre-Calculus (75%)
- Intro Statistics (72%)
- Business Statistics (71%)
- Behavioral Statistics (70%)[/SIZE]

FEMA
[SIZE="1"]- Professional Development Series - (7 Credits)[/SIZE]
I believe if you look in the TESC student handbook it does allow credit for some licenses, but I would also look on the ACE website and see what credit they recommend, if they do award credit, get a transcript from them and submit it to TESC for evaluation.
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!
Panther1225 Wrote:Does any one know if EC or TESC will grant credit for an FCC General Radiotelephone License (GROL)?

OR

Thanks,
I doubt if EC will allow credit. I tried this with an Amateur Radio Extra license, and my PMP certification. Over the past few years EC has moved away from evaluating things for credit unless they are ACE certified. And, the ACE certified credits seem to get dropped into different bins than you may expect.

20 years back when it was Regents College, and a part of the SUNY system, they wanted to be your friend. They have now switched to a much more conventional rating system, just like your local college. I watched my older credits go from 110 to 83 during my long break from EC.

From my perspective you are better off replacing those non-standard things such as certifications and license with another DANTES or CLEP if you want to go for an advanced degree.

I have had nothing but trouble with my homemade course descriptions from SUNY Empire. It was great that they allowed me to create a 4 credit course for some variation of a standard subject, but they always require special evaluation when transferring the credit. Empire would probably give you four credits for your license providing you write some kind of essay about it, buy you would pay the regular course fees for it ($1000).

Personally, I think that EC is trying hard not be appear mixed in with some of the schools that advertise Life Experience Credit, FEMA credit, etc. Lightweight colleges like Aspen would give me 9 credits for my PMP, which probably could be applied to both undergrad and grad programs. After having an incomplete BS degree for so long, I would rather have something which can't be disputed.

Best of luck!
Panther1225 Wrote:Does any one know if EC or TESC will grant credit for an FCC General Radiotelephone License (GROL)?

OR

Thanks,

It's been a long time since I looked at this, but some community colleges offered about 6 hours for this license.

One problem in giving credit for the GROL is that it never expires - possesion of one doesn't guarantee current knowledge/skills. I have the GROL, but it was gradfathered from a 1st Class Radiotelephone License - the tests I passed back in the early seventies was heavy on vacuum tubes.
cannoda Wrote:- the tests I passed back in the early seventies was heavy on vacuum tubes.

Remeber all of those 6L6 and 12ax7 tube circuits? Remember the feeling of getting zapped with several hundred volts?

I think about this when I see a kid sitting there with a laptop, a cell phone, and an Ipod. Back then we had radio receivers with 7 transistors, now the average high school kid walks around with the equiv of 4 or 5 million transistors in his carry around gear.
malcs Wrote:Remeber all of those 6L6 and 12ax7 tube circuits? Remember the feeling of getting zapped with several hundred volts?

Ahhhh . . . good ole B+. I'll never forget getting burned on the hand by a tube then brushing the B+ as my burnt hand jerked away.

And your right - kids today have no idea of the complexity of their toys relative to a generation ago.
I am not sure about a FCC License but I sent my Airframe and Powerplant License through ACE and received 53 credits in Aviation Science from EC. I am sure a FCC has to be worth something. Check out ACE.

Doug
dc67 Wrote:I am not sure about a FCC Lisence but I sent my Airframe and Powerplant Lisence through ACE and received 53 credits in Aviation Science from EC. I am sure a FCC has to be worth something. Check out ACE.

Doug

Wow, 53 credits!!

It looks like you completed your degree, but to others....

A word of advice on this to anyone who gets non standard or life experience credits:

EC's policy on anything other than standard courses is subject to change. Make sure that you finish your degree within the allotted time, and that you never let your EC status become inactive. When you get reevaluated you will find that the deal has changed, and it is never in a postive way.

How do I know, well, I have had an on and off relationship with EC since 1989, with three different evaluations. My original evaluation was for 103 credits, and I took another 30 or so more along the way. I let things lapse, and forgot about school for a while. My latest evaluation went down to only 83 credits. So, 103 + 30 = 83! Thanks to this forum I earned enough to graduate in less than two months.

So, be sure to seal the deal into a degree in a few years time if you have any kind of non-standard credits.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,489 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
Question Does anyone have a copy of a TESU Credit Bank transcript they'd be will to post? Kelly Green 2 2,079 08-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Kelly Green
  Unofficial DegreeForum Wiki - Credit by Exam info, Degree Plans, etc dcan 43 26,979 08-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  TESU - BSBA HR spreadsheet? UL AOS credit suggestions allvia 7 2,682 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Jimmy999
  DSST credit on TESU Individual Learning Account (Credit Bank)? Kelly Green 6 2,012 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,738 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  COSC BSBA (General Business) -- Check please??? stampbuyme 5 1,833 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,107 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Statistics credit transfer from study.com waterpaper 2 1,599 06-14-2018, 08:57 AM
Last Post: jsh1138