Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FY14 CLEP and DSST Pass Rates
Spanish isn't the easiest unless Spanish happens to be your native language.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:Spanish isn't the easiest unless Spanish happens to be your native language.

I'm willing to bet for the majority of people who take that test, that is the case, Spanish is their first language.
DrNRG Wrote:Based on the figures that OP uploaded, CLEP tests sorted from easiest to hardest:
(Assuming that we can infer a positive correlation between pass rate and overall difficulty).

Pass Title
92% Spanish Language

Is the Spanish Language highest because it is actually pretty easy or just because the people most likely to take it are people who already know Spanish pretty well and want the credit?
Goal: BA in American Studies - COSC (103/120)
In Progress: -
Completed - Straighterline: US History 2
CLEP - American Literature

Associate of Arts - COSC (August 31st, 2014)
Classes used to complete it:
Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Advanced Placement: Art History
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
CLEP: Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
COSC: Cornerstone
I explained CLEP to my friend whose first language is Spanish. After finding out what subjects are available, he decided that starting with Spanish makes the most sense. It's not just the obvious advantage of familiarity with the material. It's also the advantage of getting up to 14 hours of credit depending on the score and the school.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
Most schools do not recognize second language course credit for native speakers, because, well... they're second language credits. However, someone who has spoken a language since childhood but didn't receive formal education in that language can usually get second language credit through CLEP or traditional means. For example, someone who grew up in a French-speaking family in Maine and went to an English-speaking high school could get second language French credit, but someone who grew up across the border in Quebec in an English-speaking family and went to a French-speaking high school could not get second language credit. So there are limitations to this "free" credit.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Yanji Wrote:Most schools do not recognize second language course credit for native speakers, because, well... they're second language credits. However, someone who has spoken a language since childhood but didn't receive formal education in that language can usually get second language credit through CLEP or traditional means. For example, someone who grew up in a French-speaking family in Maine and went to an English-speaking high school could get second language French credit, but someone who grew up across the border in Quebec in an English-speaking family and went to a French-speaking high school could not get second language credit. So there are limitations to this "free" credit.

Huh. So colleges in the US do this? Like if a kid from that Quebec family came here, took a college placement test for English and showed they could speak it/read it/write it, they couldn't do the French CLEP and get credit?

Liberty University Classes: English 101, English 102, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Straighterline Classes: Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Biology (w/ Lab), Personal Finance, Business Ethics, Introduction to Religion, American Government, Cultural Anthropology, Introduction to Nutrition, Introduction to Communications, U.S. History 1
Native Spanish speakers have reported in these forums that they breezed through the Spanish CLEP and received credit. Y algunos de ellos discutieron el tema en español. I'm not familiar with most schools, only a few. If you really want to know what a specific school's policies are, contact that school.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
Devanna Wrote:Huh. So colleges in the US do this? Like if a kid from that Quebec family came here, took a college placement test for English and showed they could speak it/read it/write it, they couldn't do the French CLEP and get credit?
At most schools, if they were educated in French, they would be considered a "native speaker", but if they were educated in English, they could get second language credit. It makes sense, imo.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

clep3705 Wrote:Native Spanish speakers have reported in these forums that they breezed through the Spanish CLEP and received credit. Y algunos de ellos discutieron el tema en español. I'm not familiar with most schools, only a few. If you really want to know what a specific school's policies are, contact that school.

Don't have a specific school in mind, I'd just never heard of that before and was curious.

Yanji Wrote:At most schools, if they were educated in French, they would be considered a "native speaker", but if they were educated in English, they could get second language credit. It makes sense, imo.

I've heard of this before and still do not understand it. CLEP is basically established as a form of PLA credit. If you are an accountant and learned on the job and took the accounting CLEP, you would get accounting credit. A school wouldn't tell you that since you learned it at work and not in "a book" you are not eligible.

To me, it is the same of a language. If you know two languages, then you know two languages, whether they're native or not.

I actually had a school years ago tell me I couldn't take Spanish. When i asked why, they said it was because it was my native language. Perplexed, I asked where did they get that from, and they stated well you speak Spanish at home. I asked them where on my application did it say I was a non-native English speaker, I wasn't required to take the TOEFL because I'm from here. They said, but you have a Hispanic last name. I told them, that I was BORN in the US, learned English as my first language at home, and the little Spanish I knew was from High School, and even still it was pretty bad. I even then remarked that I have a Jewish first name (Biblical), does that mean I can't take Hebrew? Or someone with a German last name can't take German?

For the record, years later I took the Spanish CLEP and received 6 credits instead of the full 12 credits.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 515 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Why Those Super Low College Admissions Rates Can Be Misleading LevelUP 0 740 04-25-2023, 05:54 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,481 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Highest and Lowest Divorce Rates by Occupation sanantone 14 2,319 09-04-2022, 03:56 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,857 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Suicide Rates by Industry and Occupation for Men and Women sanantone 0 344 09-01-2022, 11:02 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 864 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,333 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  College dropout rates gams007 9 966 05-01-2022, 08:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,194 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry