Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fastest, Easiest and most cost effective Bachelors for a homeschool mom
Hi everyone. 

I'm looking for some degree planning advice.  I'm a homeschool mom and we have emigrated to Portugal.  The law in Portugal requires a homeschool mom to have ANY bachelors degree.

Thus I need to obtain mine a.s.a.p.
I'm busy with my Sophia credits and have 56 so far. 

Your Age: over 40

What kind of degree do you want?: Any! At first I though a BSLA from Excelsior would be the best transferring about 90 from Sophia and then perhaps 23 UL from Coopersmith and the last 7 with Excelsior.

But then I spoke to a gentleman from here and he recommended UMPI which I didn't know anything about.

Now I'm strongly considering UMPI mostly because of simplicity, cost and time.

These courses I have taken from Sophia already:
- Developing Effective Teams
- Project Management
- Introduction to Web Development
- IT Career Exploration
- Introduction to Information Technology
- Essentials of Managing Conflict
- Conflict Resolution
- Visual Communications
- Art History 1 & 2
- Environmental Science
- US History 1 & 2
- Macro- and Microeconomics
- Human Biology
- Intro. to Ethics
- Intro. to Business
- Intro. to Statistics
- Accounting
- Foundations of Statistics

Any certifications or military experience? 
I took a few credit courses from Broward CC in perhaps 2004/5 but don't have my records.  I also did a few personal training, fitness instruction etc. classes in South Africa but don't have any transcripts.
No military.

I completed High School in SAfrica and not even sure how to get that records, but I guess I can call the school. 

I'm worried about acceptance to UMPI as English was studied as a second language in high-school - although my home language has been English for over 24years and I am an American Citizen.

UMPI looks like a good route because I can allocate 6-8 hrs a day to it and hopefully do 10 classes in 1 session.

My other question is about math and English.  I'm VERY nervous about those and not sure where the best place is to take it. 

The classes I have left on Sophia mostly need papers, so I thought I should perhaps do English first to help with the paper touchstones, but then I see some say English with UMPI is more doable than Sophia???

Perhaps I should do English 1 atleast with Sophia to help with the papers?
I'm so confused!!

Appreciate any guidance
Other people will have better input regarding what degree program for you to consider, but I think UMPI is a great choice. I was considering it myself.

I wanted to hop in and say congratulations on all your work on Sophia, I have done the same amount of Sophia courses and I know that takes a lot of dedication.

I did English 1 + 2 on Sophia, English 1 was fine, English 2 was hell, papers took 2+ weeks to get graded. I would recommend you consider Study.com for English 2. I completed a ton of courses on Study.com as well and really liked the platform.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
I wouldn't take English Comp on Sophia. I took Eng Comp 2 and it was awful! After 90 days I still had 2 more papers to write. The grading took 2 weeks or longer and the grading was poorly done. I dropped it and took it at UMPI where I completed the course in 3 days. If you're looking at UMPI, take your English Comp courses there. They are only 1 paper at UMPI. On Sophia you'll be writing about a dozen papers between the 2 classes.
(04-07-2022, 11:48 AM)Thank you or that advice! And congrats on your Sophia cre dits! Which school did you decide on for graduation?mohelena02 Wrote: Other people will have better input regarding what degree program for you to consider, but I think UMPI is a great choice. I was considering it myself.

I wanted to hop in and say congratulations on all your work on Sophia, I have done the same amount of Sophia courses and I know that takes a lot of dedication.

I did English 1 + 2 on Sophia, English 1 was fine, English 2 was hell, papers took 2+ weeks to get graded. I would recommend you consider Study.com for English 2. I completed a ton of courses on Study.com as well and really liked the platform.
UMPI is very open and accepting of international students. The application process for international students is a bit different than US students. Nothing crazy though. You are in good shape to complete a BLS at UMPI. With the BLS you'd have your choice of 5 minors. You will need transcripts from Broward Community College sent to UMPI but that shouldn't be difficult. The only other math I'd recommend is College Algebra and you can take that on Sophia. I'd also recommend taking Intro to Sociology on Sophia, Spanish 1 and American Government on InstantCert, and Biology with Lab on Study.com. This is all for UMPI not Excelsior. If you decide on UMPI then you'll need to select a degree.

https://online.umpi.edu/
A BLS with an Education minor seems like it could be perfect for you if the primary goal for the degree is to homeschool your kids. Smile
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-07-2022, 12:30 PM)ErikaF Wrote:
(04-07-2022, 11:48 AM)Thank you or that advice! And congrats on your Sophia cre  dits! Which school did you decide on for graduation?mohelena02 Wrote: Other people will have better input regarding what degree program for you to consider, but I think UMPI is a great choice. I was considering it myself.

I live in Texas and ended up going with Texas A&M Commerce because they cost $750 per every 7 week term. It's looking like I will need 2-3 terms. That was my cheapest option as an in-state student. I believe the program for out of state costs about double.
Currently:
UCA (University of Central Arkansas) Ph.D. Change Leadership for Equity and Inclusion 

Completed:
WGU MSML
TAMUC BAAS Org Leadership
PMP, CSM, CSPO, Google Project Management Certificate
Sophia 19 Classes | Study.com 12 Classes
I think either UMPI or EC is a good option. I would not do an Education Minor for the BLS at UMPI, as it has zero to do with homeschooling (and isn't exactly useful if you're not going to be teaching elementary school really). It's also supposed to have at least 2 courses that are very time-consuming from what I've heard on here. Instead, I'd choose Management, since I think that's the one that most people have said is very doable in a short amount of time, and you already have 1 course for that done.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next thing to discuss is foreign language - UMPI requires one, but if you are fluent in something other than English, you can rack up a LOT of credit that way from doing an ACTFL exam. So, let us know if you are fluent, and in which language(s), and how (speaking, writing, reading and listening are all options). Then, we can tell you how to get credit, including UL which is super important at EC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last, English & Math. You have taken Intro to Stats at Sophia, which settles the math requirement at both UMPI and EC, so nothing to even think about there. English at UMPI is the way to go there; at EC, I would consider taking the TECEP exams for that (EC does not accept the CLEP or DSST); or else I'd consider ONU's courses.
So before any further recommendations, let us know the language situation.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you for all that info! Yeah I don't really need any educational degree for homeschooling it can be a degree in rock climbing for all they care, it just needs to be a Bachelors.

I speak Afrikaans which is similar to Deutsche and about 50% Portuguese. I have taken some Spanish when I lived in Florida also I believe at Broward Community College - actually just remembered that ?.

Portuguese would be my Preference but not sure if they will take that. Such great news about the math! Was not looking forward to that.

Where can I find the required classes for the BLS minor in management? Is it all business classes?

Thank you for your advice.

(04-07-2022, 12:41 PM)Would I be considered a US student or international? I am a US citizen and still have an address there. We are worldschoolers and travel longterm. ss20ts Wrote: UMPI is very open and accepting of international students. The application process for international students is a bit different than US students. Nothing crazy though. You are in good shape to complete a BLS at UMPI. With the BLS you'd have your choice of 5 minors. You will need transcripts from Broward Community College sent to UMPI but that shouldn't be difficult. The only other math I'd recommend is College Algebra and you can take that on Sophia. I'd also recommend taking Intro to Sociology on Sophia, Spanish 1 and American Government on InstantCert, and Biology with Lab on Study.com. This is all for UMPI not Excelsior. If you decide on UMPI then you'll need to select a degree.

https://online.umpi.edu/
UMPI accepts pretty much every language for their foreign language requirement. If you click on the link I posted it will bring you to the YourPace website and you can see the different degrees they offer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 930 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning advice, fastest way, need help Bikingrox211 19 1,300 04-06-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 373 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 440 03-28-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: BELEEMA
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 301 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Associates after Bachelors? 2nd Bachelors aslhou 16 664 03-25-2024, 08:41 PM
  Please help! Looking to obtain Bachelors in 6months or less! Currently have 75hrs. SeanC86 9 600 03-11-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Planning help for Bachelors in Healthcare Administration Danyr09 9 498 02-21-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: Danyr09
  Best option for bachelors Taochoa90 1 266 02-20-2024, 04:12 AM
  Degree Planning - From Bachelors to Doctorate fromgedtoPhD 13 935 02-16-2024, 10:33 PM