Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling incredibly defeated and discouraged. Help?
Hey guys. I already have my bachelors and masters but at my job, I can get a big salary bump at 30 more college credits. I spent all summer studying myself crazy for these CLEPs, taking the ones in my signature. Unfortunately, I was just told that they aren't accepting half of them, because they're too similar to courses I already got credit for or APs I've taken. From my end, none of them are duplicates, but because I majored in English they don't want to count any English related ones even though I never actually took an American Lit class or whatever.

I just feel so defeated. I invested soooo much time and money into taking these, I was so proud when I passed them all, and it turned out to be for nothing. I still need 15 credits and I feel like I've scraped the bottom of the barrel for tests I feel comfortable taking. My strength is humanities but they won't accept any English or History credits. Can someone recommend the best possible path to 15 more credits? My goal is cheap, and relatively easy tests. I'm thinking clep management and marketing, but what else? Sorry this is all so vague and jumbled, but if someone can help me with a game plan, I'd be forever indebted. This just really sucks. My strength is that I'm a good test taker but math and science are foreign to me.
Do they accept any ACE recommendations or just CLEP specifically?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I know you said Math is foreign to you, but if your employer will accept ALEKS credits then I would definitely recommend them to you. You can take your time and the credits are so cheap. If it's just for your employer, you could start with Beginning Algebra and work your way up to PreCalc. After that you can do the Stats course which is honestly pretty easy if you use the John Wood videos on YouTube. He literally walks you through how to do problems on ALEKS. Just take good notes and write down any shortcuts he gives you. I do not enjoy Math at all but I was able to knock 12 credits out in less than a month and for only $20. The best part is that there is no final. You just keep working until you get 70% of the course done and then you put them on your ACE transcript for 3 credits each. Just an idea...if the employer would accept Aleks then you could possibly get your 15 credits for a total of $20 if you finished in under a month and all without the stress of binge studying.
Maybe DSST is an option for you. No math or science because you don't want them? OK. No history or English because your employer won't count them? OK. Here are some that are left:

Business Ethics and Society.
Environment and Humanity: The Race to Save the Planet
Ethics in America
Foundations of Education
General Anthropology
Health and Human Development
Human / Cultural Geography
Human Resource Management
Intro. to Law Enforcement
Intro. to World Religions
Lifespan Developmental Psychology
Money and Banking
Personal Finance
Principles of Public Speaking
Principles of Supervision
Substance Abuse (formerly Drug and Alcohol Abuse)
Technical Writing

The DSST page is here: DSST | Get College Credit

I suggest that whatever your decision, make sure in advance that your employer is OK with the source and subject of tests and will accept the credits. I wish you every success -- and no more disappointments.

J
jsd Wrote:Do they accept any ACE recommendations or just CLEP specifically?

If they accept any ACE-approved credit courses, then do the TEEX, NFA, and Institutes courses on this page, and you have 11 credits at no charge that you can knock out very quickly at home, no proctors or hassle.

Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia

(Skip the FEMA courses mentioned, they do not have ACE approval.)

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:If they accept any ACE-approved credit courses, then do the TEEX, NFA, and Institutes courses on this page, and you have 11 credits at no charge that you can knock out very quickly at home, no proctors or hassle.

Free Sources of Credit - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia

(Skip the FEMA courses mentioned, they do not have ACE approval.)

This is way better than my suggestion. It's alarming to me because I completely forgot about these courses and I did them! What's even worse is that I finished one of the TEEX courses just yesterday. I'm too young to be losing my mind...
ndelcollo Wrote:This is way better than my suggestion. It's alarming to me because I completely forgot about these courses and I did them! What's even worse is that I finished one of the TEEX courses just yesterday. I'm too young to be losing my mind...

Yours is still a good suggestion. Doing two of the "easier" ALEKS courses (preferably within in a month) would still be a good way to round out the remaining credits needed. Still very cheap, no proctors, etc.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

My recommendations:
DSST Intro to Computing
DSST Intro to Business
CLEP Management
CLEP Marketing
CLEP Intro to Psychology
CLEP Human Growth & Development
DSST Fundamentals of Counseling

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I'm really curious under what circumstances an employer would reward 30 additional undergrad credits post Masters....where in the world do you work?
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
That sounds like a teacher step increase.

You might try the courses at Saylor.org.
Earn College Credit | Saylor Academy

The exams are $25 for the ProctorU fee. You can do as much or as little of the course as you need. There is also an unofficial non-proctored version of the final you can take to see if you are ready.

Also, notice that Psychology and Sociology are worth 3 credits together, not separately, so $50 for the two tests.

Good luck!
BA, MA, EdS, MMT, etc.
83 hours of ACE-worthy credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feeling Discouraged due to grade and what materials did you use 2L8 13 2,570 09-11-2019, 10:06 PM
Last Post: 2L8
  Having a hard time and feeling like an idiot... blaczkowitz 11 3,138 12-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Last Post: mlwilliamsiv
  UPDATE to "Feeling Incredibly Defeated and Discouraged." rrr 5 1,452 12-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Can You Withdraw from a Penn Foster Course? Feel Defeated heidi08 7 2,136 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM
Last Post: heidi08
  Intro to Modern Middle East - defeated chasm636 2 869 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Last Post: cstock
  I'm so discouraged, SL business law keymommy2000 11 1,421 03-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Last Post: ladylearner
  Feeling sooooooooooo defeated w/ this Biology CLEP soliloquy 21 2,166 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Last Post: sklineho
  Straighterline feeling pressure from MOOCS? IrishJohn 3 992 05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Chebasaz
  Shoot for the Good Feeling. :) quasarvs 1 799 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  ALEK's is defeated! 15%Luck 10 2,859 12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512