Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Feelings about TESU / online schools
I'm sheepish about sharing that I went to TESU Sad Until about a month before graduation, I didn't think that I would be.

There are places where I want to share the degree I have, but omit the school name. However, I know if I do that, people might guess I went to an NA school, so I feel like I have to put TESU's name. Also, on LinkedIn you can't hide the school name.

I don't want people assuming I attended online and that it was less solid academically.

I also feel this way in part because of the confusing customer service at TESU. That shouldn't matter, but right before and after graduating, my opinion of TESU changed when I dealt with advising a few times, and I don't feel the same about the school. I feel like I can't recommend it to others or talk about my experiences with the school (even though TESU has a special place in my heart, I don't feel like I can tell people how quickly I did this, etc).

And I started feeling this way because I have this opportunity where I'll be posting my credentials next to other people's and networking with people with "better" degrees. I feel like I'll be under scrutiny and they will actually go and search for TESU and see that it's sort of catering to adults who want their first Bachelor's.

Even though WGU is more obviously online, right now I feel like I'm less worried about putting WGU's name. I guess I feel like it's a Masters which helps, and some things about them seem rigorous, well run, etc. But I feel that after graduating, I'll hesitate to say the WGU name too.

Help me feel better about telling people TESU (and WGU)?

I feel better about listing TESU because it's a state school and WGU seems more obviously online, even though I think WGU is the better school.

I don't know what sort of networking situation you're in, but in general (outside of a few high roller professions), no one is interested in your school unless it's one with baggage like University of Phoenix or ITT Tech. No one will think twice about a state university.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 3 users Like jsd's post:
  • camjenks, harrypotter, teacher2
https://cihe.neasc.org/about-accreditati...n-overview

"In the United States, accreditation is the primary process for assuring and improving the quality of higher education institutions. Accreditation of nearly 3,000 colleges and universities is carried out through a process known as ‘regional accreditation’:"

3,000 schools

I'm sure most people have never even heard of TESU
[-] The following 4 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • camjenks, harrypotter, jsd, teacher2
Yep, no one outside of the state has ever heard of the school. With 2,000+ schools in the US (that offer BA's, so not counting most community colleges), you can assume that no one has heard of most schools, and honestly, no one cares. Seriously, NO ONE CARES!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • camjenks, teacher2
I spent 20+ years with nothing but an AA from a community college. That was embarrassing. I now have a BA from a regionally accredited school. I'm debt-free. I'm working on a Master's degree. So who cares if I got the degree online. Who cares if someone else wants to look down their nose at it. I'm happy with that piece of paper hanging on the wall and I'll be even happier when I have a Masters degree or two up there as well.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 7 users Like rlw74's post:
  • Dee12, dfrecore, jsd, leland.kirk, Life Long Learning, mudball, teacher2
I'm trying to think of something encouraging to say, but honestly, you just have to let this go. Your school checks some VERY special boxes that other people can't check.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educationa...ted_States

Completed high school: 88% (seriously, think about this, there are 12% of adults over age 25 without a high school diploma. That's a HUGE number in a country that spends more per student, starts school earlier, has preschool, and compulsory attendance)

Completed a bachelor's degree: 34% You're already in an elite class holding a bachelor's degree - top 1/3 of the country. Seriously, take a minute to soak that up. Now, consider that number includes both NA and RA bachelor's degrees. Dude.

Master's degree: 11% in the USA.

So, you could spend all your life stuck in the illusion that your degree is something less than it is just because someone else from a different school may or may not think much of your school. You want more prestige? Go for it. Fill out the applications and play the game. After you graduate from Penn State, there are 51 higher ranked schools that will be less than impressed with your degree - so you'll really have to try harder. After you graduate from Yale, the entire Harvard alumni association will think you suck- because anyone who can't get into Harvard sucks... you see? The game of impressing everyone is a game that can't be won because no matter what criteria YOU use to decide prestige, it's never universal.
I say own it with pride. If anyone asks, tell them you were proud of your degree and that you think TESU's mission is noble...it is, you know.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • leland.kirk, Zippadeedoodah
be proud, you have a college degree. OWN IT

you worked hard
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jitzman94's post:
  • camjenks
Eh this worrying about where the college degree is from thing reminds me of that fiasco where Kayne West was selling plain white t-shirts for $120 a piece and people were buying them. The only difference between them and a fruit of the loom plain white t-shirt? The brand name. I feel the same way about colleges. You're paying for the brand name. There's a whole lot more difference in the sizzle than there is the steak.
[-] The following 2 users Like BSLIONS's post:
  • camjenks, sarg123
If TESU is embarrassing then get a masters to be proud of. Don’t let your own perception negatively influence others though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,004 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,675 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,129 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,667 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,745 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,363 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,608 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,337 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,396 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,872 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore