Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally got my degree today! You guys can do it!!!
(06-29-2022, 06:30 PM)KSoul Wrote: That's a shame because I know many liked the BLS due to its speed and how the diploma mentioned the minors. A BLS is not a BABA per employer; however, unless the employer has a specific request all degrees check the box. We have a Global Sales Director who has her Master's in Dance. Unfortunately, she seems to be bothered by it and always jokes about it having no value. Appreciating her run in the company, I think the degree checked all the hurdle boxes and her talent did the rest.

The BLS is a bachelor's degree just like the BABA. No one ever said the BLS is a BABA. My point was that the BABA doesn't list the concentration whereas the BLS had been listing the minors. I know. I have both!
(06-29-2022, 06:30 PM)KSoul Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 06:08 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 05:36 PM)park0902 Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 03:21 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Congratulations! Which minor did you complete?

Thank you! I chose management because it's the easiest path to transfer from alt credits. I thought they were going to list it on the degree but they didn't.

It seems like this changed with the May degrees. I wonder why. I was hoping someone would ask about it. Maybe it's to match the BABA?

That's a shame because I know many liked the BLS due to its speed and how the diploma mentioned the minors. A BLS is not a BABA per employer; however, unless the employer has a specific request all degrees check the box. We have a Global Sales Director who has her Master's in Dance. Unfortunately, she seems to be bothered by it and always jokes about it having no value. Appreciating her run in the company, I think the degree checked all the hurdle boxes and her talent did the rest.

I have to agree here, sometimes I think people get too caught up on majors and labels. There are plenty of careers that where it just doesn't really matter. A lot of times it can be more about experience, networking, certifications, etc.

(06-29-2022, 02:51 PM)park0902 Wrote: To people who are doubting themselves as I did: YOU CAN DO IT!!! Took me a while but I've never thought I could finish college. Special thanks to bjcheung77, rachel83az, ashkir, ss20ts, LevelUP, dfrecore and other members of this forum. Your guidance has helped me tremendously on this journey. This year they don't give us the nice cover anymore. It also comes with a transcript inside. I'm looking forward to the next chapter of my life. I'm in the HAU MBA program and planning to go to Officer Candidate School in the near future or possibly teach English overseas. I don't know what the future holds but this degree has opened up a lot of opportunities for me. UMPI has been a really wonderful experience. Jessica is awesome! Congrats to the class of 2022! Go Owls! Good luck everyone! 

https://imgur.com/a/LlJ0NVJ

Here's the list of the classes for those who need the reference.
I've finished every single class at Sophia in 2 months to save money, have 2 associate degrees from a community college, and did 4 Study.com classes in 2 months. I also did all of the TEEX credits in about a month. I think I have way too much credits, about 240 lol I've finished all of UMPI classes in 2 terms. (4 sessions, 3 classes per session because I have a full time job)
ACTFL test waived my SPA 101 and my AA waived most of the GE requirements. (If you feel like your classes are covered with your AA, don't hesitate to email Jessica to ask for a waiver)
ENG 121 Eng Comp II (Highly recommended taking at UMPI, just 1 short final assignment)
MAT 140 Math for Business (UMPI)
BUS 244 Management Information System (UMPI)
SCI 186 Special Topics in Science (UMPI)
Management Minor
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management with Microsoft Projects (Sophia)
BUS 240: Change Management or BUS 350 - Business Law I (UMPI)
BUS 260: Leadership (Study.com)
BUS 321: Human Resource Management (UMPI)
BUS 415: Operations Management (Study.com)
PCJ 215: Business Communication (Study.com)
UL Electives - 8 classes
1. BUS 325 - Financial Management  (UMPI)
2. BUS 330 - Marketing Management (UMPI)
3. BUS 352 - Business Law II (UMPI)
4. BUS 343 - Risk & Cost Management (UMPI)
5. BUS 440: Business Analytics (UMPI)
6. TEEX Death Investigation Online (TEEX)
7. English 305: Advanced Technical Writing (Study.com)
8. HTY 439 Vietnam Wars (UMPI)

Congratulation!!! I'm happy for you!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jwheels27's post:
  • park0902
(06-29-2022, 09:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 06:30 PM)KSoul Wrote: That's a shame because I know many liked the BLS due to its speed and how the diploma mentioned the minors. A BLS is not a BABA per employer; however, unless the employer has a specific request all degrees check the box. We have a Global Sales Director who has her Master's in Dance. Unfortunately, she seems to be bothered by it and always jokes about it having no value. Appreciating her run in the company, I think the degree checked all the hurdle boxes and her talent did the rest.

The BLS is a bachelor's degree just like the BABA. No one ever said the BLS is a BABA. My point was that the BABA doesn't list the concentration whereas the BLS had been listing the minors. I know. I have both!

Of course, a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree. You created a debate that no one signed up for.  My mention of employers was due to how some employers do have a biased narrative on the type of  degree someone has and I could see a BLS with business themes attached to it would be valued by the degree earner.

With that being said, I was only sympathizing with the OP. Your response seems off-tone to my share.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 1 user Likes KSoul's post:
  • superman7136
Congrats!  Smile
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes acethroughcollege's post:
  • park0902
(06-30-2022, 08:08 AM)KSoul Wrote:

Of course, a bachelor's degree is a bachelor's degree. You created a debate that no one signed up for.  My mention of employers was due to how some employers do have a biased narrative on the type of  degree someone has and I could see a BLS with business themes attached to it would be valued by the degree earner.

With that being said, I was only sympathizing with the OP. Your response seems off-tone to my share.

It seems that you claimed that I was saying the the BLS is the same thing as the BABA. I was not. I am well aware that they are 2 different degrees. The BABA has never listed the concentration on the diploma whereas the BLS has always listed the minors on it. Typically in the application process you just need to check off that you have a bachelor's degree. It doesn't matter what it is. There are far more than BA and BS today. There will always be someone who isn't a fan of some degree somewhere. I've heard people wonder why we get a BA in BA instead of a BS which is typical for the field. It is what is.
(06-30-2022, 12:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-30-2022, 08:08 AM)KSoul Wrote:

It seems that you claimed that I was saying the the BLS is the same thing as the BABA. I was not. I am well aware that they are 2 different degrees. The BABA has never listed the concentration on the diploma whereas the BLS has always listed the minors on it. Typically in the application process you just need to check off that you have a bachelor's degree. It doesn't matter what it is. There are far more than BA and BS today. There will always be someone who isn't a fan of some degree somewhere. I've heard people wonder why we get a BA in BA instead of a BS which is typical for the field. It is what is.

The most extended way of saying 'I misread what you said 

Perhaps being the first or one of them to finish at UMPI, you feel you are UMPI BLS, so there is a higher sensitivity when mentioning what employers may feel or not feel. I respect that, and again, my post had zero thought of you, and rightfully so. It was to lift the spirit of what felt like an OP a little bummed after reaching such an excellent goal.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 1 user Likes KSoul's post:
  • superman7136

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 4 214 04-21-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 237 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 414 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Yourpace psychology degree PSY 496: Practicum Schlafen 12 1,607 04-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 530 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 543 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 0 246 03-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!! basicunitoflife 34 3,721 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: laknight
  Help with getting a degree ASAP Talia99 3 347 02-27-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 653 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera