Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financial aid for ACE credits ---> TESU?
What are the options for a single mom with low income when planning a degree using CLEP/ACE etc credits, eventually transferring to TESU? My daughter and I have degrees from TESU but didn't use any financial aid. However, my sister asked me last night if I would help her earn a degree there using the same non-traditional methods. 
She's a single mom, makes very little money, and is hoping to do this quickly. I understand there are options such as Pell Grants for a more traditional path (community college, etc), but is there anything that can be used to bring down the prices of Sophia/Straighterline/DSST etc etc? And could the Pell Grant then be used for the TESU graduation costs (waiver, etc)?
Thanks.
Earned BA in Music from TESU.
Helped my 19- year old daughter complete a BA in Psych from TESU. 16- year old son in the process of earning the Data Analytics degree from TESU/ Statistics.com. 
There isn't really any financial aid for alternative credits. The closest is ModernStates for CLEP exams. But Sophia can actually be cheaper than the "free" CLEP exams - at least, if it turns out that you have to take time off work to take the CLEP exams.

What degree is she wanting?

No, the Pell Grant can't be used for TESU graduation costs. But, if she gets the full amount, she can use it to take ~18 credits at TESU and avoid the waiver.

But a UMPI degree might be a better option for her, at least if she's comfortable with writing papers.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • jch
I'm going to suggest a cheaper school - 1) UMPI or 2) EC.

Her best bet for cheap credits:
1) CLEP (free through ModernStates)
2) Saylor (not saying I love this option, but it's $5 for each final exam)
3) TEEX Cybersecurity courses if they get renewed (free)
4) ALEKS ($20/mo)
5) OnlineDegree ($9/course) - NCCRS so don't use if you go to UMPI
6) InstantCert $20 + $15 per course
7) Sophia if she can do multiple courses in a month, it's $79/mo
8) Study.com for UL and whatever you can't get from above

If money is the thing holding her back, then she really just needs to go with the cheapest options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
Yeah unfortunately Study.com, Straighterline, Davar, Coopersmith, etc can really add up.

Sophia is so cheap per-credit if she takes many classes rapidly.

ModernStates will cover the CLEP fee and they can be done through online proctoring.

OnlineDegree.com is good for the schools which take NCCRS.

Saylor has some courses. (UL computer courses tend to have errors and outdated info.)

TEEX has about 10 free credits.

Your question makes me think of this thread, outlining a plan to complete a bachelor's degree very quickly and inexpensively:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-5-months

(11-02-2021, 02:18 PM)Federicojavier Wrote: ...
I started on July second with CLEP and on July eleventh with Sophia.
I finished my last class at UMPI on November first.
Total out-of-pocket cost - $994 That is correct. I earned a bachelor’s degree, plus I ended up with $994 in my pocket after paying all my expenses.
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • jch, midnite123
There are several options for her, it depends if she's interested in something competency based or something that's alternative credit by exam/written assignment based. My suggestion is to follow up with her and provide her these options. BTW, does she already have an associates degree? Also, ask her for a "budget" and what her time commitments are. Does she know any other languages other than English? Does she already have some college credits?

1) Basically, If she's really interested in TESU, BALS with a Humanities, Social Science concentration, or without a concentration may work for her.
2) Alternative option, UMPI BLS with any minor that interests her. This is more of my recommendation for her if she's into competency based degrees.
You should get her to provide us more details by following this template: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-31-2022, 11:43 AM)origamishuttle Wrote: Your question makes me think of this thread, outlining a plan to complete a bachelor's degree very quickly and inexpensively:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-5-months

(11-02-2021, 02:18 PM)Federicojavier Wrote: ...
I started on July second with CLEP and on July eleventh with Sophia.
I finished my last class at UMPI on November first.
Total out-of-pocket cost - $994 That is correct. I earned a bachelor’s degree, plus I ended up with $994 in my pocket after paying all my expenses.

Keep in mind that he received grants for his tuition at UMPI. There were one time Covid grants at some schools. UMPI was one of them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Ideas
If you qualify for Pell Grants, I still think EC or UMPI is a better option than TESU. I think either of those schools will end up being paid for, while TESU you may still need to come out-of-pocket for some fees.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Does she have IT knowledge? Does she have a bunch of knowledge in one or more areas for possible PLA?

Some people have used their Pell grants at a cheap community college and had enough aid left over to pay for alternative credits. That's a strategy that can be used whether you're headed for TESU or another school that accepts alt credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 587 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,195 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 474 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12
  TESU-----Transcripts??? midnite123 6 393 12-21-2023, 05:19 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  TESU---AA ??? midnite123 15 1,003 11-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 1,789 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
Information 3 credits in quantitative reasoning for $39 (ACE) MNomadic 92 18,529 10-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy